Who is right/wrong?

Rafayel

BQrqt9s.png

this went on for like 4-5 pages. usually players just stop boosting once they get max spd, but certain players like Narigonn, who somehow have a lot of wealth but have barely finished both maps, feel they are superior to players they are wealthier than and can do what ever the <insert explicit here> they want....

HOF69

Technically, no one is right or wrong. However, my opinion about situations like these is that the booster should stop trying to boost because his/her Pokemon has such a clear advantage and will win anyway. Everyone knows Swampert is a sitting duck to Gyarados, so the Swampert user is under no obligation to just sit back and let that Gyarados boost itself to +6 attack. IMO, the Gyarados user should just attack and keep the battle moving. Of course, Swampert does have the option of using Ancientpower to deal some decent damage to Gyarados, but that isn't as reliable as powering down Gyarados' attack.

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
choose 1 from 3 ... ancientpower , scald's burn or just rocktomb.

Rafayel

yes those are all options,but each one has too much risk. if ancient doesnt boost, if rocktomb misses and scald doesnt burn, 2 dd's and gyara cant be stopped. stone edge kills lapras, outrage all dragons/starmie. cloy might survive but wont be able to kill gyara.... so growl is the safest way.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
After thinking about it, swamp isn't that great of a taunt user after said move is fixed (what I said on my earlier post applies to a wider spectrum though). With that being said, a solution could be to run curse, as the increase in defense would end up 'nullifying' gyara and its dragon dance set up

Rafayel

KaiTheLoneWolf said:
After thinking about it, swamp isn't that great of a taunt user after said move is fixed (what I said on my earlier post applies to a wider spectrum though). With that being said, a solution could be to run curse, as the increase in defense would end up 'nullifying' gyara and its dragon dance set up

it will only slow down swamp dying, possibly leaving a half hp gyara with 3 boosts at least...

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
You seem to forget that curse also increases attack. Using curse requires predicting whether your opponent will keep setting up with dd or go on the offensive though (which may be too much thinking for those sheeple who consider themselves battlers yet do nothing more than follow what's trendy)

Rafayel

KaiTheLoneWolf said:
You seem to forget that curse also increases attack. Using curse requires predicting whether your opponent will keep setting up with dd or go on the offensive though (which may be too much thinking for those sheeple who consider themselves battlers yet do nothing more than follow what's trendy)

and what physical attack would u have me use against gyara o' great battler? swampert is commonly used to counter jolt too, who often uses charm against it, which would mean you cant have too many physical attacks. If u mean ice punch that would mean no ancient power which to me is more valuable with the potential to boost and its super effectiveness vs omastar/cloyster who are other pokemon that ppl try to use to boost vs swamp. i figured you would have realized swamp doesnt go up against gyara only... besides, even with curse, gyara is always going to win, and when it does, it would have boosted at the very least once with a high chance of having boosted twice. i didnt think id have to spell it out to you, i mean swamp beat gyara? really?

as for "following the trend". i dont use a single boosting pokemon in my team (besides ancient power) neither do i use any healers. Yet i win more battles than i lose. I havent seen you ingame much kaiser, i'd love to battle you ^_^

HOF69

Quite simply, the only way for Swampert to get Gyarados off of its back is working Roar (coupled with Stealth Rock on the field). Gyarados tries to boost even once and suddenly it's forced to switch out via Roar without having done any damage, and then receives an additional 25% HP loss upon entering the battle again thanks to Stealth Rock. In the meantime, Growl is the most effective means of Swampert doing something positive against Gyarados.

Given how Charm spam continues on Pokemon like Swampert when used to counter Jolteon, thereby setting up a booster such as Gyarados, situations like these are just further incentive to get Gliscor's Hyper Cutter working.