which programming languages pwo uses?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
This question is asked rather often; and has been answered on the Forum every time.

PWO's Server is mainly Visual C++.
NPC Scripting is handled through a custom-built language, the interpreter for which is also built in C++.
PWO's current Client is Direct3D / Visual Basic, which is part of the reason it can't easily be ported to other systems or made to run through Wine.
The Playerdex is mostly developed in PHP.

earth20010

Jinji said:
This question is asked rather often; and has been answered on the Forum every time.

NPC Scripting is handled through a custom-built language, the interpreter for which is also built in C++.
PWO's current Client is Direct3D / Visual Basic, which is part of the reason it can't easily be ported to other systems or made to run through Wine.

Who DID ALL THIS are you all MIT passout? 
How can I get better?

Jinji said:

Who DID ALL THIS are you all MIT passout? 
How can I get better?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
It's because we're a team, and each of us have different levels of expertise. PWO has been built up from work of multiple developers and content creators over the years, both current and former, and we couldn't do it without each other. In the decade that PWO has ran though, we have learned many new things together and become far more capable people simply from experience and a desire to grow the game and improve it for everyone :)

If you want to get better at programming, here's what I recommend. Do some research, look up different languages, and decide on something you think would be useful to know. Then take it a step at a time. Start with the most basic details, maybe even look up examples, and just try to do something simple and straightforward - it doesn't even have to be useful, just enough to help you understand what you're doing. There are plenty of tutorials for most languages on the internet. Then slowly build up. After you do one thing, try to work on something new but try to make it do something else. Many tutorials slowly build up to more complicated things over time, so go at the pace that suits you. When you feel confident enough, maybe even look up the official documentation - most languages have a website documenting them where you can even look up individual commands. If you take it slowly and work on the basics first before building to more complicated things, you should soon find you're learning or figuring out new things almost naturally; and it'll become a skill for you. This is how I taught myself PHP :)

DavidBowie

note

pwo was started by teenagers with little to no past experienec. pwo has been worked on by at least 11 other programmer for the server. 3-5 programmers for the current client.
well over 20 mappers, artist, npc makers. this game is a jigsaw puzzle of other people's work which makes its own challenges lol. out of all staff ever i think only 6 had formal training for their rank work that we know of (taking programming course and being a PWO dev for example). 7 if you count Rig getting a game design degree rn.

4/5 of them are staff atm.

earth20010

Jinji said:
It's because we're a team, and each of us have different levels of expertise. PWO has been built up from work of multiple developers and content creators over the years, both current and former, and we couldn't do it without each other. In the decade that PWO has ran though, we have learned many new things together and become far more capable people simply from experience and a desire to grow the game and improve it for everyone :)

If you want to get better at programming, here's what I recommend. Do some research, look up different languages, and decide on something you think would be useful to know. Then take it a step at a time. Start with the most basic details, maybe even look up examples, and just try to do something simple and straightforward - it doesn't even have to be useful, just enough to help you understand what you're doing. There are plenty of tutorials for most languages on the internet. Then slowly build up. After you do one thing, try to work on something new but try to make it do something else. Many tutorials slowly build up to more complicated things over time, so go at the pace that suits you. When you feel confident enough, maybe even look up the official documentation - most languages have a website documenting them where you can even look up individual commands. If you take it slowly and work on the basics first before building to more complicated things, you should soon find you're learning or figuring out new things almost naturally; and it'll become a skill for you. This is how I taught myself PHP :)

Thank you so much Jinji for this this. Really was motivational. The problem with me is when I am stuck I start having these negative thoughts of comparision. Like how everyone else is just so good than me atm. And that really makes me depressed.
But thank you for your time, will remember this.