• Dome Fossil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Root Fossil

• Old Amber

• Total voters

Formatger

3 hours to obtain the 10 discs and the reward a kabuto. Kabuto with max atk, max speed, max def and max spatk. I like kabuto but i prefer aerodactyl, is my favourite poke T_T . People don't trade aerodactyl...

When the next event will appear?

HeavyPetter

Merse said:
The problem is with the distribution of the rewards in my opinion. We all have to do the very same quest and still, we get very different rewards. Some players get unobtainable Pokemon and excellent battlers, others get HRs which are totally worthless. And what you get is purely based on luck and nothing else. So you either get something very valuable or you just wasted your lifetime on this quest.
You don't even have the chance to do it again and get a better fossil because you can make the quest only once.
I think it is unfair.

I'm not saying the idea of the quest is bad, or that the quest itself is bad. I like the quest, I like the backstory, I like the opportunity of extending it to a whole arch of quests. There is only one huge issue: the reward. If it would be equally worthless or equally valuable for everyone, it would be OK. But that luck determines whether you can pull out something from the quest or not is just unacceptable for me.

I fail to see the difference in "wasting lifetime" on this particular quest an wasting lifetime on any other part of the game. If you see the game as a waste of lifetime maybe you shouldn't play it :p. And isn't the whole competitive part of the game based on luck and/or grinding time spent rather than skill anyway? Furthermore you seem to generally be an advocate of making things exclusive. What changed your mind in this particular case?? If you had ended up with one of the exclusive prizes maybe you'd be a big fan of the whole thing?

Merse

Youngster
I already got that accusation, thankyouverymuch :p I already answered it somewhere elsewhere, I just can't find it. I could post a link there but now I have to summarize it :D
My problem is that luck already has insane role in PWO, which is bad. You may be the trainer with the greatest potential, you may know everything about Pokemon and game mechanics, but if you have no luck, you'll never be able to reach your potential in this game because you won't have enough luck + money to obtain those epic Pokemon which would make you able to do that.
IMO, anything what increases this luck factor between players is a bad thing. That doesn't mean I'm against exclusivity, I think certain Pokes should be hard to find, just like Bagon and Drat now. (True, I'm thinking about a system which would reward continuous grinding, but I'll tell you about it some other time :p )
I'm not even against making different prizes of a quest. My problem is with the magnitude of the difference. Yo may be able to sell a Kabuto for 300k. 1m if you're lucky. A very bad Aero is maybe 6m, and the worst Anortih worth at least 20m, so it worth about ONE HUNDRED TIMES MORE than a Kabuto. And what determines what you get? Pure luck! If you could have got only Lileep-Aero-Anorith or only Omanyte-Kabuto, it would be fine.
I can assure you, if I would have got a claw fossil, I still would argue against the prize system of the quest.

S-Dragonite

I got the Dome Fossil, but I have no access to the Cinnibar Lab yet, am still trying to get the last badge in the Johto region, even then I imagine I have a long way to go before I can get to the lab :/ . Too bad it was not a random fossil Pokemon instead, awesome event non the less, got a few level 50 Skarmorys, plus one of them is for a friend I have on PWO, until the next event, Keep'em coming PWO Staff.

king1234

Youngster
UH i saw merse mention my name somewhere saying that (And see who got the really good fossils? Saric, king1234 and Darcia who have already more money they could spend and better Pokes that any of the rest of us would ever have.)
I've been here for 3 years so far, Im just an average Joe, im no rich guy, I just play alot spending hard-work, sweat and tears into this game. I worked hard to get where I am. :) All im saying is you work for what you get, sometimes on a fluke you find a shiny HR when your just start the game, or maybe you find a Shiny HR 3 years later, Yes luck has to do with it, But thats how the cookie crumbles.But you have to work for what you want, Dont get discourage cause you see someone with a better pokemon that you, try harder to find something better than that, alright you get some crap from the event that has passed, move on look forward to the next event.Took me 3 years to get my 1st S rare.

Boora

Youngster
Merse said:
I already got that accusation, thankyouverymuch :p I already answered it somewhere elsewhere, I just can't find it. I could post a link there but now I have to summarize it :D
My problem is that luck already has insane role in PWO, which is bad. You may be the trainer with the greatest potential, you may know everything about Pokemon and game mechanics, but if you have no luck, you'll never be able to reach your potential in this game because you won't have enough luck + money to obtain those epic Pokemon which would make you able to do that.
IMO, anything what increases this luck factor between players is a bad thing. That doesn't mean I'm against exclusivity, I think certain Pokes should be hard to find, just like Bagon and Drat now. (True, I'm thinking about a system which would reward continuous grinding, but I'll tell you about it some other time :p )
I'm not even against making different prizes of a quest. My problem is with the magnitude of the difference. Yo may be able to sell a Kabuto for 300k. 1m if you're lucky. A very bad Aero is maybe 6m, and the worst Anortih worth at least 20m, so it worth about ONE HUNDRED TIMES MORE than a Kabuto. And what determines what you get? Pure luck! If you could have got only Lileep-Aero-Anorith or only Omanyte-Kabuto, it would be fine.
I can assure you, if I would have got a claw fossil, I still would argue against the prize system of the quest.

so, you're basically saying, no need for rare,vr,hr, anymore, cause that's not fair, someone can spend a week and another guy can spend a day ?
ok, lets just make it this way, you kill 10 pokemons 11th will be rare, you kill 100, 101th will be vr, you kill 1000, 1001 will be hr, this is the way you want to play the game ?
No.
The entire point of this game is to grind and get surprised by the shiny's and hr's, or look for them and find them when ever they decide to pop up,
and on another note, you're basically saying lileep,anorith,aero is ok, kabuto and omanyte is ok, but all 5 together isn't ? what kind of logic is that
You got a Free pokemon from the event, BE happy, stop looking at what other people got and saying "unfair unfair"

psychosamm

Youngster
Even Though I don't really agree with merse, when staff ask for feedback and you find someone making critiques, don't bee surprised. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, no need to make this into an argument. We can't just say everything is perfect all the time, otherwise nothing would be improved.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Indeed. We don't mind hearing from people they didn't like this, or they'd rather have that - it's what lets us know that changes are needed. Of course though, what helps us to understand the KIND of changes that should be made, is when those comments are justified with reasons or provide constructive ideas of their own. This applies to positive feedback too, even if positive feedback is less inclined to incite change - it's more an affirmation of what we did well, but knowing what to keep is just as vital as knowing what to change and that's also where constructive commentary helps.

mad30

Youngster
psychosamm said:
Even Though I don't really agree with merse, when staff ask for feedback and you find someone making critiques, don't bee surprised. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism, no need to make this into an argument. We can't just say everything is perfect all the time, otherwise nothing would be improved.
Saying he wasted his life (or something similar) is anything but constructive other people have provided feedback over this event no problem

Merse

Youngster
Boora said:
so, you're basically saying, no need for rare,vr,hr, anymore, cause that's not fair, someone can spend a week and another guy can spend a day ?
ok, lets just make it this way, you kill 10 pokemons 11th will be rare, you kill 100, 101th will be vr, you kill 1000, 1001 will be hr, this is the way you want to play the game ?
Nope, I didn't say that at all.

Boora said:
The entire point of this game is to grind and get surprised by the shiny's and hr's, or look for them and find them when ever they decide to pop up,
and on another note, you're basically saying lileep,anorith,aero is ok, kabuto and omanyte is ok, but all 5 together isn't ? what kind of logic is that
You got a Free pokemon from the event, BE happy, stop looking at what other people got and saying "unfair unfair"
Then just for you, once again: Anorith and Aero are ten, or even hundreds time more valuable than Omanyte and Kabuto. If you couldn't get the latter two and only Aero, Anorith and Lileep, there wouldn't be such a huge difference between the value of the possible rewards. If you could get only Omanyte and Kabuto as rewards, the result would be the same. Get it now?

mad30 said:
Saying he wasted his life (or something similar) is anything but constructive other people have provided feedback over this event no problem
Well, I did not get anything from this event I could use or capitalize in the future, not even in PWO. I admit,t he expression is harsh, but it is technically true. Yes, we could lament about the fact wether is PWO or any other computer game is a waster of lifetime, but that would be a completely different argument based on other premises. ;)

Boora

Youngster
Merse said:
Boora said:
Nope, I didn't say that at all.

You said exactly that in different words, but forget it

Boora said:
Then just for you, once again: Anorith and Aero are ten, or even hundreds time more valuable than Omanyte and Kabuto. If you couldn't get the latter two and only Aero, Anorith and Lileep, there wouldn't be such a huge difference between the value of the possible rewards. If you could get only Omanyte and Kabuto as rewards, the result would be the same. Get it now?

so WHAT nobody cares how much they worth, its an E-V-E-N-T you get free stuff, the nerves on you to complain that the FREE STUFF you got is not as pricy as the free stuff other got, yes you got 500k, king got 30m, but you got free 500k say thanks and shut the hell up ,
and all of that is proven by the message you replayed to mad30...

mad30 said:
Well, I did not get anything from this event I could use or capitalize in the future, not even in PWO. I admit,t he expression is harsh, but it is technically true. Yes, we could lament about the fact wether is PWO or any other computer game is a waster of lifetime, but that would be a completely different argument based on other premises. ;)

"i did not get anything from this event i could use or capitalize in the future"

excuse me is this event said : "the merse event " no it did not.
you're an ungrateful little brat and its something that should've been said along time ago.
you didn't get your aero,anorith ? BOOHOO Move the hell on.

"i admit the expression is harsh (wasting my life) but its technically true "

you don't see how wrong what you just said is, do you,
if its so true, why do you even play this game, it clearly shows you don't have the mentality to hunt for pokemons and get nothing and still remain calm and move on,
you probably go nuts, go play some FPS games, it'll suit you better.

Staff asked for feedback and Merse is giving it. Just because you disagree with his points doesn't give you the right to call him a brat/greedy/ungrateful. He's saying he's wishing the rewards were more equal in value. And I agree with that sentiment.

This would have been possible IF staff had removed Kabuto/Omanyte from the token store AND ingame in advance and then just made aero the only "rare" fossil in the group. (As aero costs more tokens/is PvP viable)

this would have done the following:
1) reduced certain fossils from becoming devalued/player disappointment
-(since almost everyone got the helix/dome, its price is gonna go down. If everyone had an even chance at all fossils, and almost all of them were unobtainable, just about everything would have ended up more balanced. At the least, each prize was would have been more satisfying)
2) better encouraged further participation/interaction
-("I got dome but I wanted claw...not bad though! I guess I can try next year/direct trade for one!)

Now I'll say this about the community. Stop THROWING ROCKS at each other and try to be calm instead. This isn't a mob or a riot, so stop throwing moltovs. Jesus.

Tecknician

I will simply say this. The idea behind the random element of the fossils was that so you have a reason so keep doing these events if we had more. This event you may get one of the lower valued fossil but the thought you might get a higher value fossil next time would be your incentive to keep doing them. So you get a chance every time to receive something of value. Otherwise I was worried if you didn't particularly like the reward you simply wouldn't participate.

Merse does it make you feel any better or worse knowing if this event continues you will keep getting the chance of getting better fossils? In this way it's not a one time luck if you get it or not, but luck determining when you get it, how many good items you get, and you are rewarded for continually doing the events?

At one point this idea started from a basic idea of making certain pokes easier to find for a limited amount of time and things just kept getting added to it. Someone else suggested creating this drop item/reward them for it and then after added the idea of a random reward. I at the last minute actually added the increase level part of the event.

Several key elements that I personally took away from the feedback provided that will be discussed with the staff was a)the reward. b)The time it took to find the 10 discs. Some people thought it took to long, others thought it needed to take longer. This event is very different from other events and quest that has taken place previously so people are still using the same thought process for valuing this event as they would those, but seeing how this is very different it needs to be thought about differently.

If I had to guess, I would say merse is looking at this as a one time event, and If it was, I think most of merses point would be in line with my own feelings.

Personal follow up questions directly to mer:
1) How would you feel about receiving a helix fossil if everyone else also received it?

2) How would you feel about everyone receiving an aero. In the past people have, including yourself, raised up concerns about too many people receiving too value of a pokemon at once.

3) regarding all the new information I provided in this post, has your attitude about this event changed?

4) Base on the goals I outlined in this post, what would you do to make this event more enjoyable.

Merse

Youngster
Tecknician said:
Merse does it make you feel any better or worse knowing if this event continues you will keep getting the chance of getting better fossils? In this way it's not a one time luck if you get it or not, but luck determining when you get it, how many good items you get, and you are rewarded for continually doing the events?
It confuses me to be honest :)It was already confirmed that there will be following up events. But does that mean that we can ge tthe reward for this event again as well? ???

Tecknician said:
Personal follow up questions directly to mer:
1) How would you feel about receiving a helix fossil if everyone else also received it?

2) How would you feel about everyone receiving an aero. In the past people have, including yourself, raised up concerns about too many people receiving too value of a pokemon at once.

3) regarding all the new information I provided in this post, has your attitude about this event changed?

4) Base on the goals I outlined in this post, what would you do to make this event more enjoyable.
1) I would feel that it was a nice fun little event, but too bad that it practically renders a HR Pokemon invaluable, like Farfectht'd (tip: Add a shiny chance when you convert the fossil to a Pokemon)

2) Similar like above, I would be very happy to have Aero, but it would be rather dissatisfied because it would make a good battler practically invaluable for the next 1-2 years. I like the idea of having several possible rewards for the event. It has less impact on the value of the Poke and it makes the quest more interesting. The only thing you should pay attention in my opinion is not to make too big difference between the value of the possible rewards (not counting the shiny-chance suggested above)

3) Yes, it changed. For what we have heard before it seemed like a once in a lifetime chance which was only an experiment, although it seemed to be sure that there will be quests similar to this one.

4)
- Make the quest a little bit harder. Finishing it in just 2-3 hours is not so satisfying IMO, and doing a quest together with fellow players is really a great opportunity to socialize, which helps us to become more and more to a real community. But don't make it too hard to finish if we have only a limited time to do it, because some of the player simply don't have the luxury to spend the whole weekend on PWO, it wouldn't be fair with them if they couldn't finish it because it's too hard. In my opinion 4-6 hours would be ideal.
- Make sure that there is not a huge difference in value between the possible rewards. I think it only applies for Pokemon and otherwise unobtainable items which make Pokemon evolve (like the ancient tablet). I can't think of any other rewards which would have disturbingly big difference in value.
- If the point above is not possible, make the chance of getting the more valuable reward equal to the less valuable one.
- If the reward is a Pokemon, add a small chance (1/8192 or so) of getting a shiny one.
- If the rewards are less valuable Pokemon (in the past event Omanyte and Kabuto), allow the players to make the quest more than once. It won't hurt their value any more and it gives the chance to obtain "the full set". It also would be a great opportunity to catch botters :D
- Keep up the great narrative! I loved Fonty's description and the image too.. It makes the quest more colorful :)

These ideas came in my mind. Some of them may not be too elaborate and even I'm not sure if they all would be good to have (like the shiny chance or equal chance for getting different rewards).