What pokemon stats are the best?

What is the most important stat you look for when buying/trading pokemon?

• HP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attack

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Defense

• Special Attack

• Special Defense

• Speed

• Total voters

risefromruins

Youngster
I'm interested in seeing what today's community finds to be the most vital stat in a pokemon. Some trades I have been reviewing recently have caused me to finally want to take action.

Please answer this poll with what you consider to be the TWO (2) most important stats you can find on a pokemon, and if you would be so kind to leave an explanation as to why that would be greatly appreciated. If you could even be as specific to relate your choices to a pokemon, that will not only greatly aid your choices but allow others to better understand your reasoning.

My choices are Special Defense and Attack. Specifically for a pokemon like Tyranitar (although the same concept is very easily transferable), those stats are everything. A high special defense Tyra can survive a hydro pump from Starmie, or even a solarbeam from Venusaur. I like to incorporate battle experience into any of my evaluations of stats which is what I tend to see lacking of others evaluations on how good statted a pokemon is.

So if you would be so kind to answer this poll and then follow up with a brief explanation, it would be very appreciated.

naliorf333

Youngster
Speed because lots of pokes are needed speed like drago, sala, star, fera, etc..Having the advantage in starter pokemon will really help you a lot..next is sp def since many trainers are using pokemons who have sp atk..but its still depends on the pokemon you have..different pokemon different stats needed

risefromruins

Youngster
naliorf333 said:
Speed because lots of pokes are needed speed like drago, sala, star, fera, etc..Having the advantage in starter pokemon will really help you a lot..next is sp def since many trainers are using pokemons who have sp atk..but its still depends on the pokemon you have..different pokemon different stats needed

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Why does a Salamence or Drago (occasionally Starmie) need max speed? I will agree that on Fera speed is absolutely important, but on the other 3 it is not required to be max. A Drago can get away with 190 speed, a Salamence doesn't need max speed whatsoever, and Starmie just really needs to be faster then a tauros, which give it about 10 IV's of leeway.

LunaticJames

Content maker
I weighed in with Speed and Attack/sp attack (depends on the Pokemon really)

Why?
Hit first, hit hard.

More importance on speed though, as my Glalie has 31 IV's in speed, yet only 4 in Sp attack... Still, all Dragonites fall to it.
And if you can hit first, and neither pokemon can one hit the other, well, at least you can get 2 shots in ;)

MrFlare2

Youngster
Attack and Defense. I don't particularly get lucky with Starmies on my Tyranitar, unless its a miss. Attack and Defense are the strong points of most Pokemon. Rhydon is on the top of my head. Its moves are all offensive, and its supposed to be a defense tank as well. It may be slow but it can take hits like a champ. Slaking is another example. While its defense may be low, it still needs it to survive attacks. Its attack adds onto that. Overall, Atk, and Defense are important stats.

ash.catchem

Youngster
Mainly I see speed, then after that depends upon moves of pokemon, like alakazam has high spatk n every his moves is spatk, so I would like to search for best spatk alakazam, at the same time, snorlax which has only physical moves, so I would like to search for best atk snorlax..After that I check denfense and spdef of pokemons according to their type weaknesses like if some is weak to psychic atks, then we have to look for max spdef pokes, while if someone is weak to fighting type, then we have to look for max def pokes.. :)

So first speed, then other depends upon pokemon.. :)

naliorf333

Youngster
i wonder why no one vote for HP..if you'll look in all pokes..speed and hp is important whatever/whichever poke is it..

risefromruins

Youngster
I know from personal experience if my Tyra is full health against ANY Starmie, he will win.

I'm also not surprised about the many comments saying speed is very important, but my main concern is the players that believe max speed is the most important aspect of a pokemon.

LunaticJames

Content maker
risefromruins said:
I know from personal experience if my Tyra is full health against ANY Starmie, he will win.

I'm also not surprised about the many comments saying speed is very important, but my main concern is the players that believe max speed is the most important aspect of a pokemon.

It really does depend on the Pokemon though, so this poll is kind of like asking for your two most general stats that one prefers.

If it were a Steel Pokemon identified, I wouldn't choose Speed, nor Defense. I would have Attack and Special defense. No one in their right mind would attack a Steel Pokemon with a physical move if they had the choice and Pokemon like Steelix, even with 0 IV's in Defense, would still reign over other Pokemon in that stat and be almost unharmed by those attacks.

I still do believe hitting first and hard is paramount in battles, hence why Tauros is dominating recently, but that's not the whole driving force behind any single Pokemon.
Except troll battlers, like Blissey.
*Opponent sent out Alakazam*
*You send out Blissey*

Thinking smart is normally better, and cheaper ;)
I reserve the right to laugh manically at anyone who spends more than the average amount on the following:
Dragonite
Tauros
Eevee
Salamence
Snorlax

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
To be honest, depends on each poke....

My shiny Steelix has max stats 30/31 in all except on SPD (28 ivs) BUT, Steelix doesn't need spd really.

I am personally looking for pokes with good Special Stats and hp, why ? Because I'm trying to get an extra step in the future of pwo, example:

Someone offered me Drago max spd + good atk plus pretty bad hp/special stats for my drago max spd wich has uber Special stats/atk/def and Hp... I refused the offer and the guy told me ''but Im giving you a max spd Drago, you can use it instead yours'' , the guy doesn't know that his drago will be most useless in the future, because it has terrible stats, it may be good now, because pwo hasn't been updated and the battle system has lots of things to work on, but will be trash in the new pwo.

I may compare what I said about my shiny steelix with some others like:

Starmie
Sceptile
Jolteon
Aerodactyl
Snorlax
Magmar
Jynx
Exeggutor

etc...

So my final conclution is: Sp.atk , Sp.def and HP... Spd ? Depends, but it's not really a primordial thing...

risefromruins

Youngster
LunaticJames said:
risefromruins said:

Thinking smart is normally better, and cheaper ;)
I reserve the right to laugh manically at anyone who spends more than the average amount on the following:
Dragonite
Tauros
Eevee
Salamence
Snorlax

Now that is something I can agree with 100%.

And like you said about the Drago Mati, there are too many players that have that mindset. Same thing with a tauros, max speed is not the most important thing ever. I'd just like for a portion of the community to stop being so close-minded about certain things.

ash.catchem

Youngster
But just telling, i sometimes lose battles only because of lack of speed, like if someone's tauros is left with few hps, i have a max spd tauros, and some other pokemons that have low spd than tauros and 1x by normal, then only max spd tauros can thrash it to kill it without getting any harm, otherwise no matter how max def is yours you will lose a lot of HP...

So as a total, every stat has its own importance, so comparison would be difficult, because it depends upon type of situations, and pokemons you have... You can't predetermine that this stat is best.. ;) :-*

like HP: if you have high HP, sometimes you get another chance to hit when you are left with 1HP..(though least important for me)
Atk/Spatk: Obiviously for powerful attacks.
def/Spdef: when your opponent has good physical atks/special atks then you would have to look for this stat too.
Spd: i think a little more essential, because sometimes lack of speed can bring you disadvantage.. e.g. if you have a lapras and opponent has exeggutor, then if your lappy has high speed than eggs then you can kill it easily otherwise you might be killed.. ;D so in this situation spd important

cyy5113

I would say speed is the most important too.
However, in my own opinion, I feel that Def is important too, based on my experiences in battle.
When some pokemon such as Tauros, which always have faster speed, use some moves such as Giga Impact on my team, almost all of my pokemon fall when Giga Impact is not missed.
Since I don't use any Rock/Steel pokemon which can resist Normal type attacks, so I check for their Def too.

crenel

Youngster
Obviously Special Defense and Speed.

SpDef: You're more likely to get past some of the stronger attacks in the game with SpDef than you are with Def simply because physical attackers tend to already get partially walled by resistances, Abilities (such as Static and Cute Charm), and higher Def stats on average all-around. Special Attackers don't have to deal with Ability gimmicks and on average SpDef tends to be lower than Def across the board while SpAtk tends to be higher than Atk across the board on average. Investing in physical bulk isn't bad but there's a lot more wiggle room. When you're building a team you generally try to counter the Special Attackers, not Physical Attackers.

Speed: Either max speed or minimal speed are arguably the most important thing in the game, so obviously Speed. (Edit: what I mean is -- you build strategies and teams based around speed, not spatk or spdef or something. You do need to accommodate for those stats, but speed is what determines your umbrella strategy in terms of countering others and etc.)

I'm talking about a complete, working battle system (such as in the games), for the record. In PWO it's just Speed followed by either HP or your attack of choice.

Edit:
@Below post: I'm not a fan of Dragon types, but it's completely foolish to disregard the influence that the Speed stat has over battle in any Pokemon game. When developing a strategy, you need to take into account if your Pokemon will be faster or slower than its common counters or those it's the counter to, as you need to be able to predict how you will react to those situations. If you're playing with a Gyarados (which is comparatively slow at 81 base speed), you need to understand which Electric types you need to be faster than and how your attacks will fare against them. Something like a Jolteon will probably always be faster than even the fastest Gyarados, but something like a Magneton (at 70 base speed) is a legitimate concern. When Gyarados's speed range bottoms out at 167 and Magneton's can reach up to 177 in PWO, it's clear that if you just grab the first Gyarados that comes along you might pay for it.

The question that was asked in this topic was "What is the best stat?" -- it was not "Which stat should be as high as possible?"

The answer to "What is the best stat?" is Speed as it has the most influence over how you decide the way you'll use your team in battle. There's certain thresholds of speed that you're required to reach that aren't necessarily there in other stats. Additionally, there are very few situations where you'll want a Pokemon with 10 or less IVs in a stat other than Speed. Your entire strategy hinges on this one stat, with each other stat falling into secondary positions.

If the question was "Which stat needs to be closest to 31 IVs?" then my answer for PWO would be HP followed by either Atk or SpAtk depending on what you were going to be using for that Pokemon. That wasn't what this topic was asking -- it was asking for what the "Best stat" is, which is obviously and logically Speed simply due to its impact on how battles flow.

G

Most of the Pokemon Trainer who votes speed adore Dragon Pokemon. Well, I'm not.

Defense is most important because It is many moves that is considered as P.ATK.
Sp.Def is next when many trainers also have SP.ATK-ers too.
Next is HP, is your chance to be able to counter blow your opponent.

ATK or SP.ATK depends on what pokemon is.

The last is SPD, as long as you are able to endure at least 2 hit, I believe you can take down your opponent.

G

Mine is Speed/Sp. Attack.

Immobilize them and then put em' down before they can attack you.

of course, I've never paid too much attention to stats, so my stats don't follow this at all.