What do you think about Critical Damage in PWO?

Is Critical Damage ok in PWO?

• Sure, it could turn the tide in a battle, and could determine between the winner and the loser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't think critical damage should be employed in PWO because it's overrated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Siauwlong

In my opinion, criticals in PWO are a bit overrated. In handheld or another pokemon game with fully working battle system, criticals are good to prevent battle stalling for too long, but in PWO there's no battle stalling, except the stupid Stat boosting vs Stat lowering moves that last forever :p

what do you guys think about crits on pwo? :)

Saric

Youngster
From what I've seen, it isn't the critical damage itself as much as the rate. I've seen numerous battlers complain that crits are happening far too often and that the 5% rate is a bit false.

As for the damage itself, I see no issue with it.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Siauwlong said:
In my opinion, criticals in PWO are a bit overrated. In handheld or another pokemon game with fully working battle system, criticals are good to prevent battle stalling for too long, but in PWO there's no battle stalling, except the stupid Stat boosting vs Stat lowering moves that last forever :p

No battle stalling? Are you asking to remove critical hits? They are part of the game I think, and I personally was excited to see them introduced here recently. Critical hits int he handhelds did happen fairly often, and with some moves more than others- and higher chances with items etc. So I don't think you can say they are OP here.

Question though, do they negate the stat changes as they are supposed to? I think this would be a great counter to those stat boosting stallers if so.

Siauwlong

HitmonFonty said:
Siauwlong said:

No battle stalling? Are you asking to remove critical hits? They are part of the game I think, and I personally was excited to see them introduced here recently. Critical hits int he handhelds did happen fairly often, and with some moves more than others- and higher chances with items etc. So I don't think you can say they are OP here.

Question though, do they negate the stat changes as they are supposed to? I think this would be a great counter to those stat boosting stallers if so.

I'm not saying to remove the criticals though, I'm only saying about my opinion :)

and the answer for the 2nd one, the critical damage doesn't make much difference since the poke who boost will get very little damage from the opponent, such as drago on arca and hera, steelix/scizor on snor, most of them don't deal much damage, so criticals doesn't matter at all

Orean

Website
twitter.com
I'm a bit confused: are you opining that critical hits are overpowered, or that PWO's battling clique overrates them/you believe there is simply a below-hype value that they add to the battle scene?

If we're to compare them to the handheld games, the 5% rate here is [on-average] lower than the standard critical-hit percentage rates in the handheld games; 6.25% was the lowest threshold of them in the handheld games, if I recall correctly, and this battle system is currently devoid of any enhancers to it.

HOF69

It's not that critical hits are OP; they're supposed to do tons of damage. It's that the advertised 5% rate is definitely not accurate. I witness on average 2-3 critical hits per battle, and that doesn't include the ones that could be happening when you OHKO a Pokemon or simply finish a weakened one off. A 5% hit rate would not occur that often.

nemo55

If its 5% then its 5%. May the luck spin your way.

I noticed all the elite battlers are complaining, and rightfully so, they deserve too, but I think thanks to criticals it changes the battle scene a lot and the thought of an above average trainer defeating an elite trainer thanks to criticals does suck but you just have to live with the loss.

Therefore, I'm perfectly fine with criticals. You just have to perceive the whole idea of criticals in a different way...sometimes you will get multiple crits and sometimes opponent. Its part of the game and you just gotta live with it I guess.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
First off, it happens waaaay too much. There's something odd about PWO's accuracy with everything obviously (Sleep Powder misses less than aqua tail, Crits happen a lot more than 5%, and I've missed 100% accuracy moves several times) and I'd like to see it state there was a critical hit when there is so we can test just how many times it happens out of 100 times. If it was consistently higher than 5% then we'd know exactly how off it was.

It really incorporates more luck in battling and that's extremely off putting for people like HOF and I who have worked hard to become great battlers. I feel like it turns the tables far too often and honestly mostly gives the advantage to the newer players. I can't imagine the great battlers have a need for crits to assist them in battle nearly as often as lower tier battlers, so when these great battlers do get crits it's largely unnecessary since they're already winning. Putting it bluntly I'd bet there's a strong relation between the quality of battler and the opinion on crits.

As for the comments such as nemo's I don't think we should be looking at it as "may the luck spin your way" because it should be about one's skill, strategy, and the quality of ones pokemon. Quite frankly, if it is causing great frustration among players then I don't see why we should just "live with it". Battling is more like a lottery now than it was before. By the way, crits don't really deter boosters as wiping out a whole team is worth the risk of taking too much damage... you'll hardly see an arcanine killing a dragonite because of a crit, or a metagross killing a scizor. It's annoying, often taking the fun out of battles. One of my good friends JD quit battling the other day and I'm sure crits were a small part of the decision...

Nikola

Youngster
After doing simple math, I've noticed that damage dealing moves are 70% more used here then in a fully working battle system. The game is missing several key variables to make crit less noticeable such as held items, natures, abilities, priority moves and so on. All those variables would result in doing up to 90% more strategy. Very often we use the Pokemon who requires more then 2 hits to faint opposing Pokemon and of course that chances of getting critd are way higher as well. All those variables are very important and yet if you do 50/60 battles today that number will increase. Personally I am not depending on crits much but indeed It makes me to rage when I am being hit by one. What I couldn't fathom is why does it happen in a bad moment. I am sticking with a theory that every moment is important, makes me to rage less. I had a battles with no crit and I had battles with more then 6 crits, bloody fickle isn't it? I can suggest decreasing the ratio to 3% tops till we get at least two key variables named above. Together with misses, players are not able to adjust that variable. The more battles you do, the more attacks you utilize, chance of getting hit by a critical is way higher. You can only rely on a pure luck. That's why I gave that suggestion. As I said above, I don't really mind but seeing other people opinion I came up with a suggestion to decrease the ratio until we get missing components.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I find Darcia's logic and explanation of why we notice crits more as very sound. I back his opinion up.

Siauwlong

I changed my mind, the crits happen too much already lol, it's not like 5%, more like 10% or so ::)

Nikola

Youngster
-I did 5+15 battles yesterday. First 5 battles I did 18.2 moves and opponent did 20, 2 attacks were critical. After doing 15 battles I got similar numbers, around 18.5 for me and 21 for opponent. To note, 7 moves were critical in 15 battles. When you do a simple math you can see that critical is really around 5%. You can get hit by a critical 2 times in a row and that also happened to me when I was doing 9th battle and after that I had no critical at all.
-As I said above, critical is very noticeable when you are doing more rounds and when you are not using any damage dealing move. We don't like getting hit by one, but we like to hit with one. Same thing with misses, we wait opponent to miss but here, we wait him not to hit with critical effect.