What do players prefer?

What would you prefer for downtime.

• Lengthy downtimes(5+ hours further apart)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smaller downtimes(less than an hour) and more server restarts

• Other (Please make a post)

• Total voters

123eliii

i agree to what Boora said, the thing about fixed maintenance..with this, the players won't be confused with the down time..

teck, that would be a great idea..i think you should form a team and build a private server for testing..this would help a lot..been playing this game for only a few days~ i must say, this is the greatest pokemon game i have ever seen..you've done a great job..improving this would be hard though..goodluck!

Maideza

Longer downtimes are better.

Great example; WoW had maintenance on Wednesdays (not every week and hoour vary).

Fionavara

Agree with the most here, Longer downtime further apart, that let you do soem real jobs and us to plan our days.

naliorf333

Youngster
I would probably choose "Lengthy downtimes(5+ hours further apart)", what if someone encountered a shiny R or VR or HR, then the server needs to restart, poor trainer :(

root

Thanks Teck for asking players on their opinion, but this decision should be only yours.
You are doing what is best for this game, therefore please do what you prefer.

Thanks again.

Tecknician

Just want players to be aware.

These do not count for unintended crashes, or downtime beyond our control. Only for the downtimes I schedule to do some work on the server.

Saric

Youngster
I'd rather have longer downtimes spaced further apart. It gives staff more time to do their thing while keeping the frequency low.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Re: What do players perfer?

Totte13 said:
i prefer long downtimes that are further apart, so that when the server is up to play ,i can my for a longer period.although i would like you to inform us in advance when the downtime is and how long it will last. although i'm new here(i started yesterday)i have mostly seen the server down and could only see on your twitter page that you informed us when the server had already fallen and not in advance.i love the game and i am glad you try so much to improve it and support you for your effort.
We try to announce downtime in advance as much as possible, sometimes this is not possible.

w1nd0w5 said:
would it be possible to make a seperate server just for testing updates? so when the updates are properly tested they could be installed wit very litle downtime since you already tested them. make the update server for staff only to test bugs. just a suggestion
One word, client.

OLockser

I prefer lengthy downtimes that are longer apart. It is better for everyone because things can be checked or updated at one time and sacrificing just a few extra hours of play is well worth it if it's going to be a long time before it happens again.

Skittlz

I like the smaller more frequent updates, then after each one we get that "hey, something cool just happened" feeling

Tendou

Balanced downtime is a good deal due timezones. We know there are tons of people raging about downtime but reading is the key, which they doesn't. There are still tons of players who comes here just for a ban appeal instead reading all info stated on forums.

Doing a shutdown for like 2 hours per 3 days can solve some problems. I understand you point since I'm a game tester and the testing from the game i work lasts up to 10 hours in whole week, but it tends to have attention during fridays (release date).

We don't know what bugs you were all dealing with and some of them are just features you all want to try out, so take your time as you wish as we went this so far due long-timed shutdown and tons of mainentance weekly. We're on beta anyways and i'm pretty sure we want a WOW Gamma version and such thing will only happen with the testings from Beta.

It is kinda sad trying to login in the game and it states to you the server is down, it is normal for any game we like to play, but we're talking about quality here. Even if we discuss the downtime it is better leaving it like usual because i do not want to see the team working quickly just because a group of players are raging about downtime.

w1nd0w5

Re: What do players perfer?

Bluerise said:
Totte13 said:
i prefer long downtimes that are further apart, so that when the server is up to play ,i can my for a longer period.although i would like you to inform us in advance when the downtime is and how long it will last. although i'm new here(i started yesterday)i have mostly seen the server down and could only see on your twitter page that you informed us when the server had already fallen and not in advance.i love the game and i am glad you try so much to improve it and support you for your effort.
We try to announce downtime in advance as much as possible, sometimes this is not possible.

w1nd0w5 said:
would it be possible to make a seperate server just for testing updates? so when the updates are properly tested they could be installed wit very litle downtime since you already tested them. make the update server for staff only to test bugs. just a suggestion
One word, client.
is it not possible to make a duplicate client that's for admins only? this would lower downtime

w1nd0w5

how much does PWO pay their host to host the server? if its not to much ill pay for an extra ip to host a mirror server just for update testing. i would pay for it to help the community and PWO less downtime do to update crashes, because the updates could be tested seperatly until all the bugs are worked out and the updates are released after proper testing.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
The client is the issue. ~

PS. You're the testers, that means you need to test and find bugs so we can fix them. ;)

andrewle

i knew it would happen after a very long downtime an uncontrolled and unexpected downtime may come after, just like what is happening right now 15 hrs server downtime and still counting? this wouldn't be happening if players choose their votes wisely can we redo this voting again?

Tecknician

After the feedback for this topic and my own testing, most server downtimes will take place about for about 3-5 hours, no longer than 5, to give me time to fix any bugs that players themselves find.

Reason players will always find bugs, and that I can't always test everything is that players find bugs which I would never expect or would be impractical for me to look for. Most of the stuff I bug test for is where I think it's the most likely bugs are to pop up.

Hope everyone understands.

BlackSeven

Tecknician said:
After the feedback for this topic and my own testing, most server downtimes will take place about for about 3-5 hours, no longer than 5, to give me time to fix any bugs that players themselves find.

Reason players will always find bugs, and that I can't always test everything is that players find bugs which I would never expect or would be impractical for me to look for. Most of the stuff I bug test for is where I think it's the most likely bugs are to pop up.

Hope everyone understands.

I think 3-5 hours is fair, problem with longer sessions of coding is that you'll end up having more bugs overall then if you do small codes at a time, so 3-5 vs. the 8-10 you ended up doing the other day sounds much better.