Web services: Security

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Hi there.

Just a quick warning that any users who visited our website, forums or Playerdex between 12am (GMT) and 12pm (GMT) on the 5th of March are advised to run a scan with your anti-virus.

If you don't for whatever reason have any protection on your PC, I would recommend the following two programs both of which are free:

MalwareBytes
Microsoft Security Essentials

Blue ~

mad30

Youngster
CheckeredZebra said:
Hmmm, I accessed the forums with a Mac. Still in trouble, you think?

Only because its you.

EDIT: Oh hell, why did it edit this post instead of making a reply. I meant to hit "quote." My, how embarrassing. Oh well.
-Zeb

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
CheckeredZebra said:

From the Mac itself, unlikely.  Up to you though if you want to scan.

mad30

Youngster
mad30 said:
CheckeredZebra said:

Only because its you.

EDIT: Oh hell, why did it edit this post instead of making a reply. I meant to hit "quote." My, how embarrassing. Oh well.
-Zeb

I knew zebra loved me so much she wants to be me.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
mad30 said:
mad30 said:
CheckeredZebra said:

Only because its you.

-Zeb

I knew zebra loved me so much she wants to be me.

This is possibly the most fail moment of my history in PWO.

From the Mac itself, unlikely.  Up to you though if you want to scan.
Okie Dokie. Thanks =O

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I echo that "har har har".

*Windows install has avast! - Built-in Web Shield blocks site connections if Malware is detected*
*Also has a Linux install on a backup drive*

Maters

accursed1 said:
my antivirus caught 2 trojans today... related?

A few people are saying they've caught trojans recently, not to mention this "hacking" incident that's been going on today.

Instead of just telling us to check our computers for viruses, I'd like an explanation as to why we have to check our computers and what happened.

I mean, many of us are donating to help support PWO.. Viruses risk quite a bit, and not just things concerning PWO.

I'd like more information.

ash.catchem

Youngster
me too using linux, no fear of anything, no virus ever made for linux.

Attachments

• arceusl.png
    arceusl.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 4

Ozzimandias

ash.catchem said:
me too using linux, no fear of anything, no virus ever made for linux.
Just saying... THAT is not true!
due to many servers running now under linux there ARE already linux virusses.. but they are few they are mostly send via email to big companies, who run their servers under linux.
but with growing linx distributions for the "normal" user there is a growing interest in linux virusses.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
So basically the same as our 'virus free' Macs.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Ozzimandias said:
due to many servers running now under linux there ARE already linux virusses.. but they are few they are mostly send via email to big companies, who run their servers under linux.
but with growing linx distributions for the "normal" user there is a growing interest in linux virusses.
Similar thing is happening with Macs as they get more popular, at least for Windows computers everyone knows there's viruses so are prepared :p

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Chocobo7 said:
Ozzimandias said:
Similar thing is happening with Macs as they get more popular, at least for Windows computers everyone knows there's viruses so are prepared :p

Yep =P Though I have yet to run across any issues with this PWO virus, as I was on my MAC at the time of the issue. However, I wouldn't be surprised if people started targeting MACs/Apple software soon, what with all the fancy new apple gizmos that are selling out.