Trying to get an understanding of what stats I should look for in Pokemon

Shindoku90

Hi guys,

So, I've been learning a good bit about the game. I haven't played the handhelds, so a lot of this is difficult to comprehend, and I apologize if these questions seem repetitive/stupid/etc.

So with that, I wanted to ask how people determine what specific pokemon need in terms of IV's. I know that across the board, 20+ IVs are better than a pokemon that has -20 (or 10+, or even single digits. 31 or 32 being the highest.)

What I'm trying to figure out specifically, is how does one determine if the pokemon in specific has the best IVs for that pokemon. (Like, for a random example, I dont even know if this is correct) A Gyarados has 31 SPATK and 31 ATK-- okay, that seems good? But what about a Gyarados that has 31 DEF and 31 SP? What determines what specific pokemon need, in terms of HP, ATK, SPATK, SPDEF and SP?

Like a Pikachu needs SP and SPATK
Vulpix needs SP and SPATK
Blastoise needs HP and DEF
etc.
How does one figure this out? Does it go by their actual stats? (The ones that are highest?) I've also heard terms like Sweeper, Bellydrum Charizard, etc. Explanations on these would be helpful too.

Its just becoming so confusing it makes my head hurt. XD So if someone could simplify this for me, I would be very, VERY grateful. x.x

Saric

Youngster
Usually you go by the actual base stats. Certain pokemon are more offensive than others. The more offensive pokemon usually go for their primary attack stat and speed (in PWO). Others are more defensive and may go for their primary attack stat and a defensive stat, or just full defensive.

Pokemon and their sets change with trends and new content. But again, for the most part, take a look at their base stats and you'll generally have a good idea on what to invest in. There are exceptions though (Like dragonite, who primarily goes for speed/attack).

Shindoku90

Saric said:
Usually you go by the actual base stats. Certain pokemon are more offensive than others. The more offensive pokemon usually go for their primary attack stat and speed (in PWO). Others are more defensive and may go for their primary attack stat and a defensive stat, or just full defensive.

Pokemon and their sets change with trends and new content. But again, for the most part, take a look at their base stats and you'll generally have a good idea on what to invest in. There are exceptions though (Like dragonite, who primarily goes for speed/attack).

Okay! I think this finally is starting to make sense rofl. Would you mind citing some examples aside from Dragonite?

As in, can there be Arcanines that are varied to atk/spdef and then another that is spatk/def or even atk/sp? (Would these all be considered good variables, if each variable was its max in actual stats? Or would some variables just be rarer for that pokemon?)

Saric

Youngster
Shindoku90 said:
Saric said:

Okay! I think this finally is starting to make sense rofl. Would you mind citing some examples aside from Dragonite?

As in, can there be Arcanines that are varied to atk/spdef and then another that is spatk/def or even atk/sp? (Would these all be considered good variables, if each variable was its max in actual stats? Or would some variables just be rarer for that pokemon?)

No. Arcanine is mostly just speed/attack. Another few examples are that Salamence can be a mixed attacker (As in, uses both attack and sp.atk, if it's even a prevalent pokemon anymore). Nidoking as another example can just go full sp.atk (though this isn't too useful without sheer force).

People who battle frequently (as in, not me) can probably give you more and better examples, though.

Shindoku90

Saric said:
Shindoku90 said:
Saric said:

No. Arcanine is mostly just speed/attack. Another few examples are that Salamence can be a mixed attacker (As in, uses both attack and sp.atk, if it's even a prevalent pokemon anymore). Nidoking as another example can just go full sp.atk (though this isn't too useful without sheer force).

People who battle frequently (as in, not me) can probably give you more and better examples, though.

Ah, okay! Thank you very much Saric. @_@ I feel so dumb for asking these questions everyone seems to know off the bat. XD

Klay

Youngster
You can also check websites like Smogon to have an idea of what you can do.