To make hunting more interesting

Merse

Youngster
A decay system would mean that the system may be used for any Pokemon, not only for HRs. On the other hand, it would make it possible to keep catching a certain type, as you always would get the XP back what decayed, if you keep hunting for the Pokemon. This means that you could hunting until you get 5 S Grows constantly keeping the hunting points for example and then sell them.
However, at the same time, it makes hunting several Pokemons simultaneously harder, as while you hunt one, the hunting points of the other will decay.

A system which resets the hunting points on catch would mean that it can be used effectively only for HRs, VRs and shinys. If the points are reseted on encounter then it could be used only for HRs because you would find VRs and non-shiny others far more often. On the other hand, it mean sthat oyu could hunt more HRs simultaneously because hunting points wouldn't decay.

I think the solution is somewhere in between. You should be able to use this feature for hunting shinys too IMO, but you shouldn't be able to exploit it. Maybe that if you encounter a shiny Pokemon of the species you're hunting for, it resets the points but otherwise the points would just decay over time?

Of course I don't think there could be a debate about that hunting points can not influence the shiny chance. Being shiny is a characteristic of the Pokemon while hunting points are the experience of the player's character. When you start to track down a lion, you can't tell yet if it has dark or light brown mane

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
I still feel it is asking too much to both gain extra chance to catch a single HR pokemon and make that chance ongoing. Giving players more chance of catching the pokemon they want is one thing, rewarding the dedication of the hunt instead of knowing you can go 100 hours and many more without seeing or the chances being any better. But to make this a way to farm HRs is too much in my opinion. Instead of just rewarding the hunter for their perseverance it would just end up being another way of farming money and flooding the market with pokemon that weren't previously available in any great quantity. So in short the first way is a small change beneficial to single players who put the effort in, the second way is a major change which would potentially unbalance the game.

Hydrahax

Merse idea is a FINE idea. To be real, what needs to come to PWO is more about a character specialization, like what the player do and what the character gain doing that. Like a MMO, when you win a lot of PVPs, you will gain something for it. If you're a PVE player, you will gain another thing for it. This can be introduced by traits, skills or a simple system that simply add something "DIFFERENT" for your character, for your efforts.

The Merse idea is an idea that introduce it, the idea of having something different on your character, but this need to be "well thought out" so you can think about ways to do it fair and at the same time rewards the player to be that type of player.

Merse

Youngster
Fonty you just repeated what I wanted to say earlier - but it seems I didn't manage to express it properly :)
All I want is that this wouldn't be a HR-exclusive feature. It would just as much make the game unbalanced as letting players to farm good pokes with it. If you reset the points on every encounter the system would be useless for anything which is not HR. If the points only decay overtime, you will be able to abuse it and farm HRs / good shinys. What are we looking for now is a system which would merge the advantages of the two system and discards the disadvantages.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
The inactive-player xp decay could stay as is. we just need a secondary system that keeps players from hording bonus points forever if they stay in the same place for a long time. (Also if we don't have something for that, the system could help botters out a bit too much as well, not that we should build gameplay only around cheaters. It's just another reason on why an interruption is probably needed..)

GodDragonz

Another good idea would be creating some quests who the NPC request a HR pokémon, then you're a pokémon hunter and need to hunt the wanted pokémon to complete the quest. If you complete it, you will gain points in hunting and stuff. Also, one rule should be applied to these quests, the wanted pokémon can't be BUYED, he need to be catched by you. This can be improved, but it's a good idea.

Fionavara

Fun idea, can I get my bonus points in advance? :p
Intresting idea, I see pros and cons about it all of them been expressed by others.
personally I am really positive of the though about reawrding hunting, but I also don't think it would be such a great idea..it would be like having the pokemon radar system.
It would be more missused I think, nomatter the resting if finding a shiny or HR or any limitation to what it would help finding.
But if we tossing this around and we say this is a possible option, wouldn't it be a little cool if you could use a similar thing for the xp system too, so daycare players get rewarded and bonus up on xp instead of hunting chances for example?
Maybe when you start and account u get an option to choose if you want your points to add to xp gain or hunting chance?
The original idea is facinating and can be used in many ways. maybe a three way option where to use the point on, xp gain, hr chance or shiny chance for the account?

Merse

Youngster
The XP idea I like. It is indeed possible that someone trains Pokemon in the given area so he focuses on how to make the Pokemon he trains stronger more effectively.
The shiny idea is very bad IMO. Being shiny is a quality of the Pokemon and not a skill of the hunter. A hunter may hunt down its prey more easily, but he can't make its prey a more valuable trophy by increasing his own skills. It's like you're trying to hunt white lions in Africa. If there are no white lions in Africa, then no matter how skilled hunter you are, you'll never find it there.