To make Gym battles challenging

Merse

Youngster
I'm posting this among the suggestions as well, but I want to know the opinion of the community as well.

Currently with the exception of the 1st, 8th and 16th gyms, every other gym challenge is rather easy. Some gyms can be beaten with one single Pokemon 10-15 level bellow the level of the gym! Surge, Erika, Sabrina, Morty, Chuck (just to mention a few) are only weak shadows of themselves. This is not only because they use only one type of Pokemons which can be easily countered, but only because the move sets of these Pokemon on these levels is useless. Either have only one type moves or have only broken moves which could counter the player's Pokemon.
You said you can't do it because you can only tell which Pokemons the NPC should have but not its move set.
But I have an idea to fix this: Generally every game works with databases. So most likely Pokemons are in databases in PWO too. All you would have to do is add some new entries at the end of the database. For example Surge's Voltorb, Surge's Magnemite and Surge's Raichu. These Pokemons would share all the attributes of their wild counterparts, so you have only copy-paste the data, with the exception of the attacks. So Surge's Voltorb could 'learn' which is equivalent to 'have' in this case. Rollout instead of Selfdestruct, so it won't kill itself. Surge's Raichu could know Slam and Iron Tail so it wouldn't be that easy to beat.
With this change gym battles would become interesting and more challenging, and gym leaders wouldn't be as pathetic as they are now.

HeavyPetter

Good idea, it would make the gym battles stand out more too, not just like battling another trainer.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
It's not as easy as you're making it out to be, it would require changes on the server end too.