Time for me to move on for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naero

I'm certain this departure is coming completely out of left field for some, and I myself did not expect to make this decision anytime soon, nor is it a decision that I am making with pleasure. Many might be confused on the circumstances that contributed to this decision. Did I get banned from the game? No. Did I get hacked and lose my account and all of my valued possessions? No. Get ready for a tl;dr read-in...

As of a recent staff meeting that occurred yesterday, a multitude of things were discussed (most of which I don't know, most of which isn't my business, and most I wouldn't be at liberty to disclose anyhow), and included in the discussions was the people currently representing every facet of PWO. The IRC, recently being made official an official aspect of PWO, was brought up, and it was deemed that me holding a major position on IRC staff reflected negatively on PWO as a whole, and thus I was removed from half-op on short notice. Additionally, my rank as an editor on the wiki (a wiki staff position that grants a few administrative privileges) was also removed today, as it was decided that the PWO Wiki is a website officially being associated with PWO. To elaborate further on "my history", I was IP banned numerous times in my early days (from mid-to-late-2009 to mid-2010 or so) for main infractions of trolling/ban-evading (needless to say, all of which I have regretted for years). Despite serving diligently as IRC staff for nearly a year and actively contributing to the wiki for a while, some believe that it'd be a liability for a player who has been banned multiple times to hold any "pseudo-staff position" in either aspects, which have integrated as an official part of PWO.

Is their current stance reasonable on me? That's a controversial question. Ever since I was appointed as IRC staff, there were mixed opinions on me from those who were aware of my past; some were willing to shrug off my wrongdoings in the past because of the betterment of my behavior, some openly objected to it, and some admired the drastic changes in my behavior. I have gradually, but drastically, matured and remedied my behavior over the years; and despite a large degree and countless repeatings of my trolling behavior in the past, I believe my positive behavior has overall outweighed my negative behavior in the past. Does that redeem myself for all of my past offenses? Without having an arrogant complex, I can state that many, many members - players and staff alike - would agree on that notion. However, from a psychological standpoint, I can assume that I left some very hard first impressions, namely on those who hold a high position on PWO's staff hierarchy, which have carried on to the staff's current stance on me. I am not omnipotent on verbally persuading their opinion on me, and even though actions speak louder than words, it evidently failed to change their stance as well, despite many, many months of proving to genuinely demonstrate positive behavior.

I just find little reason to dedicate my time to this community after how I was treated. Albeit, I was a major nuisance in my early days, and I did sincerely appreciate that they were willing to overlook my past, after my behavior drastically changed for the better, and that they were willing to remove my IP ban, as well as giving me an IRC staff position and a wiki staff position (meh, run-on sentences). However, regardless of the majority of the staff's stance on me, there always has and always will be some staff members resentful of my past, so much to an extent that I could behave like a goody two shoe for 5 consecutive years and fail to ultimately alter their stance on me. I certainly can not do the impossible and travel back in time to undo what warranted my past bans and give myself a clean slate. I can continue to demonstrate above-standard behavior in the upcoming years, but if they can never overlook my past despite how positively I behaved in the years following my last ban (which happened in mid-2010), it's impossible for any amount of good I do to outweigh the bad I previously did, from their perspective.

Although providing that as my incentive to leave the game may convey that my sole intention of leaving is nothing more than a selfish lust for power, there is more to that. Honestly, I do not care about being stripped of my pseudo-staff positions as much as the abrupt manner in which they were done. My main motivation to perform my duties as IRC/wiki staff was to some pressure off of those higher ups who give it their all to contribute to the project, and at least divide some of the work. Furthermore, as I majorly matured, I felt more guilty/regretful about how I acted out of line in the past, and that I owed PWO for damage done by showing my true self and doing good by whatever task I can. After my removal from IRC/wiki staff, it just felt like a horrid act of betrayal from some of the staff members.

Despite some staff member's claims of them appreciating what I do, and stating that I am more than welcome to be apart of this community, I just have trouble bringing myself to believe it at this point. I won't deny that there are some staff members are very appreciative for those who make whatever contributions they can. However, this abrupt demotion just reinforces my belief that some staff member's stance against me is set in stone, and is not subject to change regardless of how big of a portion of good history my overall history consists of, due to the bad history early on.

I apologize if I come off as arrogant, selfish, antagonistic, or in anyway uncivilized in this post. I am not trying to cause a rift or grounds for a flame war. I am simply expressing my honest feelings on this matter.

This has honestly been my favorite online community, and I can not realistically envision myself losing touch with it completely. I will still idle around the IRC and a certain guild Xat, and I will semi-inactively lurk the forums. I still hope for the project to prosper, and I will periodically log in game to check out new updates/events, but I don't feel like playing regularly again anytime soon.

I suppose it's time to focus on real world tasks more, with my new semester of college coming up in a few weeks, among other things. It's time to adopt a more serious approach to my studies in college, as well as continuing to hunt for a better part-time job, doing more constructive/prodoctive activities, and possibly finding another project to contribute to that will appreciate my work more. As for my former IRC Staff and wiki duties, I just hope that the void can easily be filled in.

I truly do wish PWO and its community the best. I just don't feel like I have much business here anymore, because what recently happened tells me that not much will change at all regarding the staff's stance on me, despite how much time I dedicated in the last year or so. I still hope to keep in touch with a lot of you~

Seth

Naero,

I couldn't make an accurate verdict in my eyes whether the demotion was unfair or not as I wasn't part of the conversation nor is it any of my business. All I can say is; keep in touch, you're a great person, extremely helpful and a good friend. And I, for one among others, believe you when you said that your trolling days were over.

See you in Xat, Naegro.

king1234

Youngster
wow, hope u find something to fill that void and hope you excel in your studies, and good luck in your life and future duties.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I wasn't there to know what went on. You know my opinions, anyhow.  Goodluck and I'll hopefully seeya around, Cesar.

Kaiko

Youngster
I may not know what happened in the past, and I wasn't there like Zebra, so I don't know what went on either. But even for the short time I have known you, I could tell you have changed, from whatever or who you used to be. I don't need to know your history to know that. Take care naero, you're a good friend and person, even if we didn't talk a lot. Hope to seeya around. :)

Future~Sight

Youngster
Website
www.matmartinez.net
man, i was shocked to see the topic name :( Naero, you have really been a great player, even i didn't knew anything what u did in the past but that does not matter. Anyways, you have really changed if anything like that happened  and have always helped me whenever i needed it, thanks a lot for everything and best of luck with your future :) hope to see you soon :D

Alphinez

Youngster
Naero..
I am so shocked finding out that you're gonna leave us.
Its so sad, because you're an honest and good player.
I don't know what you did in the past, but i heard that you've changed. :)
Thnx for kicking my butt in the Legandary Cup. You're a really good battler :)
I hope I can see you on xat or IRC..
Good thing I got to see your pic yesterday xD

I'm gonna miss you,good luck finding a better part time job!
I know you can do it!
Good luck with the college too!!

From your friend, Alphinez. AKA SuHu :3
Visit us Someday!!!!!..

lundy2011

omg naeros leaving :(
idk what happened in ur past but
over the short few months we know each other
u have been a great guy / honest player / good pwo player
never wronged anyone / always ready to help
ur gonna be greatly missed buddy
and i hope u return soon or visit us
u have been a great friend to me and now i have to find another person
to blame for breaking the server haha

from ur best friend lundy :)

I

inileater

Hmm, did not see this coming.. Your devotion to the PWO community over the recent years felt like it was a redeeming quality to me given your past, I really don't have much more than that to say, i guess i'm a man of few words but anyway, as SuHu said, please visit us once in a while. A great deal of us will miss you.

S

ShuiChan

D: i'll miss you Naero .good luck with your college. wish u the best.
sometime log in into xat chat :(

M

Mist

truly wish my mom didn't drag me out shopping before new term started now. Otherwise I would have done what I could have to defend your position. Since I couldn't voice my opinion in the meeting, I will just say this. You're past wasn't exactly the most model one out of those with any sort of power over something ( to put it nicely). And I can't really say anything about the IRC as I almost never go there, but I feel that if it wasn't for you, the Wiki would not be what it is today. Hell it is because of you that some of the wiki pages are even reliable.

Even with the changes to these things becoming "official" your current demeanor did not warrant any of the action taken against you. I would be surprised if more than 50 players remember how you were then. To most of the new players around here, you were a model player, and a trusted source of information...

In my opinion, the positions you held should not have been changed unless your current actions warranted them, which they do not. I could understand you not being able to move past those positions, but certainly not lose them. I sympathize with you, and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you devote yourself to next. I'm very disappointed in this decision, and just wish I had been there to voice my opinion when it could of mattered, for that I will say I'm sorry.

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
Naero said:
I suppose it's time to focus on real world tasks more, with my new semester of college coming up in a few weeks, among other things. It's time to adopt a more serious approach to my studies in college, as well as continuing to hunt for a better part-time job, doing more constructive/prodoctive activities, and possibly finding another project to contribute to that will appreciate my work more. As for my former IRC Staff and wiki duties, I just hope that the void can easily be filled in.

This phrase had started well, but you ruined it with the last thing you said. If this is affecting you, just forget it ... It's a game! Damn, just a game! A game should not cause you stress or worries! Worry about your future in your real life, this game will give you a future? Will give you money? Will give you a family and/or friends? (I mean REAL friends in REAL life, with REAL actions). There's a world out there and not called Pokemon World Online, it's called real life. Forget it and if you still want to get into this game, make sure is just for fun, not to teach noobs how to play or follow the rules. Good luck and I hope you get an staff position in a job, real job.

crenel

Youngster
Your removal from the IRC comes on the coattails of it being announced as an "official" part of the PWO network and services. Part of that includes integrating the IRC more wholly into PWO by adopting its policies. One of the policies PWO holds requires us to take into consideration the backgrounds of all of our new employees, and I can say that a major lesson was learned a year ago. Therefore part of our preliminary steps includes screening the new members we're bringing in due to this merger with the IRC.

Becoming "official" involves a lot more than simply writing a word before "IRC". This is not a personal jab against you - I honestly like you. This is a matter of bringing in a higher quality of workers, and due to your actions in the past you've been disqualified from representing PWO moving into the future. You were previously a part of the IRC Staff because the IRC wasn't a part of PWO or its network. Now that it is, these things should be expected to happen.

I'm not going to say more since this isn't the place for it. I just wanted to clear up our stance that you really are welcome at PWO still. It's just a matter of representation and QA.

Fionavara

Sorry to see ya go man, Specially now we've got a new reg and need every man who's kind enough to answer all the rutin questions as usuall without demanding CG for it in the long run. I don't know how the crew belive they can get higher quality if they dump you, I was hoping u'd be promoted not demoted seeing your contribution to the community. I havn't seen anyone else doing as much as u've done during latest the months...
Seem Crew in this game keep disappoint, being vindictive and childishly to not give cred where cred is deserved just cus you started out on the wrong side. Seeing positive progress instead of just keep chewing old gaal over and over again seems still to be a problem for parts of this staff.
Tobad Naero, good luck though. This might just be a game but many of us gonna miss you in here anyway.

crenel

Youngster
I don't believe that's a fair assessment at all Fionavara. At no point has Naero not been given credit for his recent actions or behavior. That's why he's been welcomed back into the community. The issue here transcends personal feelings and delves into a different realm. Naero is more than welcome to continue to do exactly what he was doing the past few months, but he needs to understand that he can't do so as a representative of our game. No one is asking him to leave, but rather to show the same maturity he is claiming in this topic regarding this issue.

Tha-Kram

it's sad to see you go  :(
I didn't know, like most people, that you had such a background on PWO

but the reason Crenel gives is kinda rubbish
This is a matter of bringing in a higher quality of workers
^or you put it thw wrong way or it doesn't make sense at all
in my eyes high quality = good and relevant information
if you want people with a clean record, then say that, not *higher quality*

you should have seen Naero spam the Help chat...
...with answers on every question asked
short, simple answers so every newb could understand
I tried to help, but Naero was the only 1 who could actually keep up with the questions

Nearo, HF IRL mate and the best of luck!

mvg
~Mark~

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Tha_Kram said:
This is a matter of bringing in a higher quality of workers
^or you put it thw wrong way or it doesn't make sense at all
in my eyes high quality = good and relevant information
One would think that would be a considerable attribute for high quality.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
Since i started using the irc as my main source for pwo information i haven't seen any one there as helpful as you have been. Even in game when i started I always thought you were staff since you have answered more support questions  than any gm/cg since I have been here. Whatever reason they let you go from the irc position it really doesn't seem worth it to lose some one that contributes like you do in the long run. I have gotten alot of help from you mostly indirect help from reading your replies to others but new players will surely lose out not having you help like you always seem to do.
Things happen for a reason this might just be a ways for you to focus more on irl so gl with college and job hunting.

crenel

Youngster
I understand that this isn't a popular decision. That doesn't mean that the reason stated isn't 100% correct. We're not looking for people with a clean slate necessarily, and have a running track record of bringing in people that have cloudy pasts. We're normally able to look past it in favor of what they can bring to the table. The difference here is that those people do not have over 300 banned accounts in our database. It is impossible to look the other way in a situation like this.

Bank robbers don't turn around and get hired by banks. Having a "standard of quality" goes beyond how well someone does their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.