The past, the present and the future of PWO

Peace-Enforcer

During this event I was thinking about the game progress. I'm aware that a lot of updates are on their way to become implemented. So I'm curious what is the current situation for abilites, natures, EVs and held items. New client would help a lot for some, but is there a possibility to add some with current client? I read and wrote about players being affected with this updates and several workarounds to soften the side effect. My question is, how hard is to modify the code and how much of the time it would require? Is it too much of a hassle? At the moment we are hunting for stats and shiny. With these things we would hunt for EVs, stats, natures and abilites.
There might be huge gap between old players and those ones who are yet to come. In order to advance some things have to be done. I am sure we would all like to get an proper update rather then being closed in a circle. what do we need to make these happen? do we lack of man power? I'm aware that similar topic has been made multiple times, but I feel like this is a topic that needs to be talked about every now and than.
Main reson I'm posting this is because lately we are getting some updates that where before speculated to be impossible to implement with a current client. For an example priority moves and switching glitch fix.
Just interested in current state of mind of both community as well as staff.

Note: wasn't sure should I post this under speculations or here but to me it feels more like Genereal Talk topic.

iHugo

Go sleep Pce, ure drunk (hehe).
Just kiddin bro!
I agree with you, so many times before staff told us dat those updates werent able to come out with the current client, and now we are getting new stuffs.
Maybe the current staff know better stuffs on progamming than the old one? :S
Idk,but would be very nice to add those stuffs u mentioned above.
Otherhands, id prefer they to work full time in the new client first, instead on putting stuffs on the current one.
Once those updates they are bringing us now, will be kinda usulless after the new client (i guess).
:)
But anyway, i support any kind of updates!
Keep doing the nice work staff.

Tecknician

There's a difference between what rely on a client update and just a server update. If it affects what you see it requires a client update. Likewise many things in the past may have been rode off as needing a client update in order to fully work, but still was able to be implemented, but not to the degree they were thinking when they said a client update is require. An example is TMs, they won't work like the handhelds until a client update is done.

With the battle system there are some things that can and can't be added. I can add many things, but as I am no expert programmer or even one who can do enough to make it fully functional many things can not be implemented without another programmer coming in. The current system was designed in the early stages of the game and as a result wasn't designed to do many of the things required for a fully functioning battle system. It's like building a one story house and latter trying to add more stories and turn it into a 10 story apartment complex. The support structure simply isn't there to add that much. Instead you can add a few more stories (1 or two) and turn it into a larger house or a house converted apartment complex.

Instead of adding more functions to the battle system I am going to now work on getting the current functions well developed. Status's, stats affecting moves, and 2 turn moves all have minor issues with them that I need to go back find better ways of doing them and redoing the core structure. Also will work on making sure when critical hit hit's it's displayed in the battle log chat and simply providing a better overall experience of what is currently in game now.

What we do have is a good content staff and as such I feel this year will be a year full of content updates. Last year we improved the game a lot with server changes, starting with updating the move poll to gen 5, adding an auto restarted, making major progress with the battle system and even adding TMs. This year will see more permanent in game quest and content to go along with weekend events and holiday theme events. The development of the transportation system will continue and be modified while adding more flavor to the game to make it feel both like a mmo and a pokemon game where you do more than just hunt and battle against a single other player.

Peace-Enforcer

I'm very grateful for you response. And this part is exactly why I wanted to revisit this topic
Empress Teck said:
What we do have is a good content staff and as such I feel this year will be a year full of content updates. Last year we improved the game a lot with server changes, starting with updating the move poll to gen 5, adding an auto restarted, making major progress with the battle system and even adding TMs. This year will see more permanent in game quest and content to go along with weekend events and holiday theme events. The development of the transportation system will continue and be modified while adding more flavor to the game to make it feel both like a mmo and a pokemon game where you do more than just hunt and battle against a single other player.
Because of this, I wanted to discuss what can and can't be done. And because of the nature of the question I wasn't sure should I put it in General talk or under Speculations. In the end, if my choice was correct will be determined by posts of those who participate in this topic.

Now for the topic at hand. Is it possible to add certain passives? Like levitate? Even if all passives aren't added some are crucial to some pokemons. For example levitate is a core of Magneton battle potential.
Now my suggestion to do this would be. If it is possible to add a 3rd nature to a pokemon which is not visible. In chase of levitate It would be a nature that is x1 to everything except it is immune to ground moves.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Peace-Enforcer said:
I'm very grateful for you response. And this part is exactly why I wanted to revisit this topic
Empress Teck said:
Because of this, I wanted to discuss what can and can't be done. And because of the nature of the question I wasn't sure should I put it in General talk or under Speculations. In the end, if my choice was correct will be determined by posts of those who participate in this topic.

Now for the topic at hand. Is it possible to add certain passives? Like levitate? Even if all passives aren't added some are crucial to some pokemons. For example levitate is a core of Magneton battle potential.
Now my suggestion to do this would be. If it is possible to add a 3rd nature to a pokemon which is not visible. In chase of levitate It would be a nature that is x1 to everything except it is immune to ground moves.

I believe this has been asked before and what is needed is a list of the abilities that would be considered to have the biggest effect on the battle scene, with emphasis on making currently underused or useless pokemon more viable. I'm not saying it's possible at this stage- a lot of what is possible and not possible just won't be known until it is looked at more closely, and giving a good reason to have that in-depth look is the first step. :)

Peace-Enforcer

At the top of my mind I would like to see ditto and support pokemons like blissey to enter a battle scene. That would mean Transform and supporting moves. Both healing and lingering effects.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
Magneton isn't able to get levitate as an ability, never was. Closest it gets to that is a move called magnet rise that would make it immune to ground moves for 5 turns or so.