The Future of HMs

HOF69

So, while I'm sure it will be a while yet before TMs are released in PWO, I thought I'd throw an idea out there regarding the unique HMs. As anyone that has played the handhelds before knows, HMs (e.g. Cut, Surf, and Fly to name a few) are required in order to access certain regions of the game or complete specific quests. Obviously that's not the case in PWO, but I thought I'd throw out an idea about making HMs available.

HMs are different from TMs because they can be used an infinite number of times. My suggestion is to make the Generation 5 HMs obtainable via quests. Now before anyone thinks that this won't happen, realize that I'm not suggesting a change that the staff need to work on as soon as possible. I'm just throwing out an idea that I think might be interesting for PWO. As always, I'm aware that the server might not allow for an item that can teach a move, and that other complications might arise. However, as HMs are unique and far fewer in number than TMs, I believe that making them available as quest items would be a great way to make them a part of PWO (rather than making them Token Store or Celadon/Goldenrod Mart exclusives).

Obviously I have no idea if such an idea is feasible as PWO currently stands, but I wanted to hear the thoughts of players and staff regarding my suggestion. 8)

Naero

Although my own foresight is not confirmative on the actual plans for implementing HMs, I do foresee the possibility of all of the key HMs being incarnated as items. This interpretation of HMs in PWO has already been evident with the wind surfboard, as we all know, which is used to traverse water, rather than using our own Pokemon to perform such navigational features. A similar incarnation of HMs has also been shown in a preview of Heromon's client (which uses a client that is substantially derivative of PWO's own client), where one can use a flash light to illuminate dark caves.

Granted, this may not be the ultimate scheme for implementing HMs, due to the limitations of the current PVE system, but it's a system - peculiar to PWO - I would not mind seeing for future additions of HMs -- it would be in my personal preference for them to be buyable by NPCs as well, and perhaps a compulsory quest will be required before you are enabled to purchase/use them, as well as quests potentially rewarding discounts as well. I share the same opposition against them being token store exclusives, given that they may be mandatory for environmental navigation; and I generally don't consider it ethical for any content on the token store being required to progress further in a quest, let alone necessitating it to unlock access to an area.

As many of us are aware, a new client is in development, which can very easily leave the plans open-ended since the client can render a completely new PVE system; one that is required for supporting the usability of HM functions outside of battle. There could very easily be alterations to the current system for HM navigations, and the one I have in mind; just that if items will be continually used for environmental navigation, I would at least prefer some means of adding the HM move to a Pokemon's moveset, for use in battle. Although HMs were the only means for teaching Pokemon certain moves in the handheld games, for the most part, they could still be innovated to a different availability here (such as being included in an array of moves on some skill shop, which players could purchase). The in-battle use of the move does drift into another realm than what is being discussed in this topic, however.

Reiterating, the implementation of HMs is very open-ended, provided that a new client is still in early development, which will introduced a new PVE system that could expand the possibilities with the current PVE system. Just pitching in my own thoughts for the future of HMs.

CoolKnightST

I'm not sure HM's is an really good system for PWO. I nowtest that HM's totaly ruin PvP setups and we probaly will see an lot of HM pokémons (dump pokémons) in the game. Secondly some HM's could totaly change the strength of an pokémon. Surf is the perfect example.

I rather want to see them as abilities or key items rather than implement them as attacks. Flash for example (dark cave quest; rew: Flashy Lantern). An more effective rewards for futher quests don't you think.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
The item surfboard and any future psuedo HM items are really just there to make an allowance for the fact that PWO doesn't support attacks that can be used outside of battle yet. I would say that when the time comes that this is possible an informed decision will be made whether or not to keep HM mimicking items or replace them with 'the real thing'. Personally I think that many pokemon in the handhelds were useless without surf and it makes a big difference to their effectiveness- and that is a good thing. It would certainly make lower level pokemon stronger though and without the opportunity to counterbalance that with other types learning similar strong moves at lower levels it could lead to way OP water pokemon at low levels. So some restrictions may need to be there, but as the title of your post says, the final debate on it is a fair way off.

Merse

Youngster
I would prefer keeping the surfboard. It was just annoying to me that I had to carry a water Poke around which I didn't even want to use, just because I had to surf somewhere.

CoolKnightST

rohan94117 said:
wat would be alternate of fly in pwo a paraglider :p
That seem to be an nice idea, however I'm not sure it's smart to release fly in pwo with his original function. Why don't make an attempt to make air mobilisation. M.a.w. offground floors. An map above an map. Just think about it. All regions suddenly double or triple in size. Than we in fact have 3 main levels:
  • Air
  • Ground
  • Dive

For faster transport there is aways teleport that could be release with or without limitations.

Other transport like mobilisation on pokémon is another thing that really should be add in pwo. I only think it's beter to determ this from pokémon to pokémon. For example rapidash could be an perfect fast ground transport when an maril only can transport you an bit faster in undeep water.

An last thing where I was thinking about is swimming. We already have an board etc but swimming in undeep water could mabe be something nice and could make is possible to encounter more water pokémons on an early level.

These are just an fell idea that could replace some of the HM functions.

CrimsonSapphire

I hope they replace escape rope with "not single use" item like Driller Jetpack or something

CoolKnightST

Dex. said:
I hope they replace escape rope with "not single use" item like Driller Jetpack or something
escape rope is fine, they only discussion that can be with that one is replacing it to his original function or remain with the current one.

rohan94117

in my terms use of paraglider should be this way_
user clicks on paraglider>>a pop-out release like as that we talk to npc in which text comes but instead of text there should be map<two maps> images and written down wer would u like to fly>>then if user click the city like saffron and he was in fuchisia then it should be transported there pc or pc door.
fly should be available for those who have 16 badges otherwise no..

Merse

Youngster
Not a bad idea, although I'm basically against anything what makes you travel instantly, except if you have to pay for it :p

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
HMs are useless.. thats why we have a surfboard and/or npcs to tele or ''cut'' trees as well, fly could be the only one that we'd like to see, but wont be a good deal to the game. TMs are what we need and what will change and improbe the battle system.

rohan94117

rohan94117 said:
in my terms use of paraglider should be this way_
user clicks on paraglider>>a pop-out release like as that we talk to npc in which text comes but instead of text there should be map<two maps> images and written down wer would u like to fly>>then if user click the city like saffron and he was in fuchisia then it should be transported there pc or pc door.
fly should be available for those who have 16 badges otherwise no..
one more thing that paraglider should be available in quest<tough like old dd since it will be most important item to use> or its price should range from 2m-5m
edit=plus user cash decrese by 20k on every use <or 10k :p >

CrimsonSapphire

nopes bike would be used for faster walking distance 8)

Yea but if can fly why need bike ... Bike cant even be use in cave or some place. Hoping they would add hotkey to surf and bike haha ^-^

OMNIDragon

Website
pokemon-world-online.net
I beleave flying from city to city will be needed but no time soon maybe when more regions are added,as far.as if it should be an item or a npc function (with cost)im not sure.but I can say yes a low level pokemon with surf will gain alot of power,but thats the same with tm's?me personally I would love an undersea town/quest.why not make hms work outside battle?fly in my opinion is the only one worth controversy

Jhaxion

My stance on this issue is that HM's are not needed and I think pwo is better without them. Putting cut and fly and surf and all the rest would be a waste imo. Although,I would like to see the introduction of more items I know teck is working on revive at the moment but other items wouldn't hurt.