Summer Mapping Contest - Result Out

Animagus

Congratulations Julia for winning the summer mapping contest.
Exceptional work done by all players. Keep mapping!

Hello everyone!
I hope you are all enjoying the game. Things have been going great in the last few weeks and we have observed a rising interest in mapping among the players. So, with the hope of discovering some great talent and potential future mappers for PWO, here we are with the third mapping contest! This time, we expect the submitted maps to be related to mountains, valleys, volcanic regions and hot areas! More details on the contest can be found below.

How to Participate:
Simply make your own custom map with our PWO Map Editor!
You can download the PWO map editor here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8p25a ... +1.1.3.rar

For both new and experienced mappers, we encourage you to read these guides:
It's advisable for mappers—both novice and experienced—to refer to these guide for operational information on the Map Editor.
If you are relatively new to the realm of mapping, you should now be more surefooted with it after reading over these guides; even if you've already gotten your feet wet with mapping before, hopefully these guides can still help to polish, refine and developing your mapping skills and techniques further!
If at any point you feel lost or need assistance, do let us know!

Assignment Criteria:
Theme: Mountains and Valleys
Minimum Size: 50 x 50
Maximum Size: 150 x 150
Deadline: 2nd August, 2015​

Submitting Your Map:
  • Submit your map in a Private Message to me; Animagus.
  • Your submission must have:
    - Screenshot of your map in a spoiler.
    - Your map download link (Save your map, then upload the files in any file-sharing website or client, and give the direct link in this topic)
  • You can post multiple maps; no delimitation of entries. We will choose what is deemed to be the most appropriate map, but only that singular map will be accounted for when ranking the best entries.
  • Pay attention to the map details, as outlined in the Assignment Criteria.
  • For bonus points you can also suggest a list of pokemon that would be suitable in your map.
  • For extra points again write a mini quest to be completed on your map which should take 1.5 to 2 hours to complete.

Rewards:
Your map will be live in-game and forever on display in the Pewter Museum Holodeck. However, should your map contain any errors, such as layering errors that may unignorably obstruct a player's movement through the areas, you will need to work with us in order to refine it. (working with us to fix it prior to it being displayed ingame is subject to availability of staff and winner)

The Judge(s):
All staff members will be your collective judges. We'll discuss the entrants with each other when the deadline comes to evaluate the best Map to go live in-game.

Points will be given for each of the below sections:
  • Design, including but not restricted to: attention to details such as using correct layering.
  • True to Theme.
  • Creativity.
  • Efficient use of entire map space.
  • Suggested spawns (bonus)
  • Mini-quest (bonus)
Your creativity, artistry and originality will be our biggest parameters for evaluating your maps.

We do encourage you to try working with layers logically. An errorless map won't invariably be the contest-winner—we are still judging maps primarily and predominantly on the notion of creativity—but we will appreciate effort towards using the proper selection of layers; it could be a factor in its own right, as it helps to exhibit how thorough of a mindset has been used to create the map, which is an important one to have when maps are added in-game.

Working with the Winners:
When we select your maps, we'll work with you in order to put your map in-game. Hereon we'll together correct your map if your map contains any fatal errors. (For Example : when your character can walk in the water, or when you can walk on the wall). You can test your map before letting other players explore it. After you're satisfied with it, you can tell us to open your map for public use.
As stated above also, this depends on availability of both staff and winner, and if we can't 'catch up' in a reasonable time the map will be released ingame regardless.

Please let us know if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions for future releases of this contest. We hope all players participate in this contest with full enthusiasm and that we receive several entries.
For the next pokemon contest, we are open to ideas and suggestions. If you have some, post them here in forums or playerdex or sent them to me as a Private Message.

Animagus

Re: Summer Mapping Contest

Confused about what to make, where to start?
Once you have read the map guides listed in the main post, i suggest you to open the map editor and start exploring!
There is a variety of tiles at your disposal and you should make the most of it. Look at the different kinds of rocks, grass, roads and even small items and think about how and where you can use them in your map to make it stand out.
Remember, you do not need to fill up space with too many items or fashion a gigantic map to gain our attention. We are looking for good use of available tiles, knowledge of layers and creativity - all of which can shine through even in a small map.
Furthermore, we would love to see you all working together to develop ideas and quests. Talk in game, make forum posts or message each other. There is always something new you can learn from another person!

The Theme: Mountains and Valleys
We are excited to see who does well in this contest especially since mapping a mountainous area can prove to be a surprisingly difficult task. Even in the pokemon world, you must keep in mind proper logic while placing the tiles for creating slopes and ledges.
As for the theme itself, you may create anything related to mountains, valleys, hills, volcanic areas; you get the gist.
I advice using places like Charicific Valley for inspiration. Although we will not support a map full of charizards, the said valley will surely provide you some insight into the valleys of the pokemon world.
For Indoor maps, you may have a look at maps like that of Dark Crater, Fiery Field and Volcano Cave. This is just to start you off with some ideas. Given the amount of tiles with you, you should easily be able to create nice indoor maps in addition to your main map.
Use your imagination, bind the maps with a nice quest and you will have created your very own masterpiece.

I expect every able player to take part in this contest. Your efforts will surely not go futile. Good luck!

hanino1993

Hello
nice contest ...but I have a question
Can we add new tiles not present in the program, such as new trees

hanino1993

and I have another question I have noticed the program PWO Map Editor is old Version
so I download the new verosion and work on it ....I was faced some problems with tiles load but i fix it
so can we work with new verosion

Relicanth

Youngster
Game Editor

hanino1993 said:
Hello
nice contest ...but I have a question
Can we add new tiles not present in the program, such as new trees

Only use sprites used so far in PWO.

cadis1

man its soo difficult but i try my best

KRHero~

Hi,

I wanna win once again... But please don't ruin my quests. I work very hard on that quest which I guess, you removed last time..

Thanks!

Regards,
KRHero~

Julia

This sounds good. :3

Would the map have to be created specifically for the contest or is it possible to enter an already existing map also? (Due to a hectic exam schedule for example. ;))

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator

KRHero~ said:
Hi,

I wanna win once again... But please don't ruin my quests. I work very hard on that quest which I guess, you removed last time..

Thanks!

Regards,
KRHero~

Quests are restricted to what we have time to make for a weekend event. I'm sure you'd like to see more events- we all would- but it all takes time. So while we will always try to stay as true to the map maker's desires as possible, we need to keep it realistic.

Rigaudon

Youngster

HitmonFonty said:
KRHero~ said:
Hi,

Thanks!

Regards,
KRHero~

Quests are restricted to what we have time to make for a weekend event. I'm sure you'd like to see more events- we all would- but it all takes time. So while we will always try to stay as true to the map maker's desires as possible, we need to keep it realistic.

While we do promise to place the maps ingame, we cannot and did not guarantee the same for quest ideas for a wide variety of reasons. We did look at people's spawn ideas and quest ideas for the introduction of the map, but ultimately it comes down to a reference or an inspiration to work with.

Animagus

Julia said:
This sounds good. :3

Would the map have to be created specifically for the contest or is it possible to enter an already existing map also? (Due to a hectic exam schedule for example. ;))
If the map that you have created previously fits the brief for this contest, you most definitely can submit it.

KRHero~

Hi,

Thanks HitmonFonty and Rigaudon! I will work hard again. ;D

Regards,
KRHero~

KRHero~

Staff,

I know that making our maps live in the game is really an honor for us.
But, one suggestion for the contest:- Please also reward the winners with Usable Items like Event Vouchers, or Any stones or A pokemon egg.
It will increase the participants and the contest will be more lively.

Thanks!

Regards,
KRHero~

Bunni89

This is so cool ^_^ I just joined this site because this contest excited me so much, and I'd love to participate once I've got started in the game. I love being able to help support indie projects through contests like this!
Map editors are so addictive aaaa~

Animagus

Bunni89 said:
This is so cool ^_^ I just joined this site because this contest excited me so much, and I'd love to participate once I've got started in the game. I love being able to help support indie projects through contests like this!
Map editors are so addictive aaaa~
That's great, Bunni! I'd love to see you participating in the upcoming contests. And you're always free to submit your map works in the art section of the forums.

We received several entries this time, each one exceeding our expectations. We see a lot of potential in all of you and hope that you will all continue honing your skills and sharing your works!
The contest is now closed. All entries sent from this point onward will be losing points for late submission.
We will now decide the winner of the contest through scored, reviews and feedback from all active staff members. The results shall be out soon!

Animagus

Results

Thank you for making this such an incredibly hard task for us. It is hard to believe that for most of you, this was your first time mapping.

We received many kinds of entries this time around. The players made use of their incredibly creative minds and were able to produce very impressive maps and quests.
After much debate and discussion, the staff members decided that there was one entry that really stood out.
Incredible detail, suitable spawns and quest, proper layering and a decent story-line to tie it all together - this map entry does indeed deserve the first place.

The winner of the Summer Mapping Contest is the creator of the Farside Valley - Julia!

Congratulations to the winner and to all other participants who surprised us with their talent.
We hope to see many more maps from you in future and even working along with you to improve Pokemon World Online!

Thank you all for taking part and displaying tremendous interest in mapping! Keep it up.

Fadoka

Jr. Trainer
Just wanted to say congratulations Julia for carving your name on rocks and putting your touch in there forever ;)
Never let the remaining flames die (jk :p)

Goku-

Congrats on the win, Julia! Always good to see new and upcoming mappers :)

I look forward to playing on it, hopefully sooner than later ;)