[Suggestions] Traveling

CoolKnightST

This large idea popup into my mind some time ago. Hope you like it:

Intro
I was thinking on what content you will probably add in the future. The running shoes is probably one of these improvements. But this is Pokémon world, not the game. That why here some brand-new suggestions and modification to give traveling more personality:

Energy
I want to suggest an new sort traveling modification named energy. Traveling energy will get build-in in most transportation abilities. They will create an limit of transport what was in the old day not possible. More info see items.

Running Shoes
You personal speedup anywhere in the game. Like you known they were released on ruby and became really popular and useful for exploring. Off course they will ever get released but I want to suggest some modification to it:

The energy amount from shoes is limited and has an slow recovery rate. There running speed however is similar to an bike. Shoes can almost be used anywhere on the map what makes them really useful on places where no bikes are allowed like buildings. You can run holding shift.

You will get your first set of shoes as reward from professor oak in kanto (not sure for johto something similar) by deliver an note to the market and bring back the packet that you get from the market. Better running shoes can be buyed later in the game.

Later in the game (4th, 5th gym; you will be able to get better shoes that will increase you energy for longer running.) I was thinking about these ones:
  • Running Sneakers (cost 10.000)
  • Running Stars (cost 100.000)
  • Running Airs (cost 1.000.000)
  • Running Angels (token only)

Bicycle Modifications
The second idea is the modification of the bikes. With the money you can buy better ones. Bike bikes make it also possible to use you bike on other terrains.
  • Classic Bike (basic)
  • Mach Bike (cost 50.000)
  • Mountain Bike (cost 500.000)
  • Acro Bike (cost 5.000.000)
  • Star Bike (tokens only)

1/ Classic Bike
An normal bike, in fact the bike that current exist. This bike can only be used on normal terrain.

2/ Mach Bike
An improved version of the bike. The bike will now go faster when holding shift. When going faster your energy bar will drop and just like with the running shoes. With this speed it’s possible to drive over muddy walls like the 3rth generation Mach bike.

3/ Mountain Bike
An upgraded version that allows you to drive over dirty roads and dessert. Before it wasn’t possible to do this with an bike.

4/ Acro Bike
Another upgrade that makes it possible to jump on hills.

5/ Star Bike
Nothing special except that he goes an lot faster and has practically unlimited energy.

Scooters
Scooters are an sort of fast bikes that continue run on energy. There amount of energy however is way higher than that of shoes or bikes. They are however way faster and there basic version already starts with all function up to an mountain bike. Also driving an bike also works like an sort of repel function makes it possible to drive with this one without having to worry about pokémon. Downside to the scooter is that you can’t use him in caves and wet areas. Scouters also have horrible energy recovery rate but with some money you can recharge them directly in the shop. I currently suggest to make just 2 versions for it since it in fact an bonus alternative for the bike: Scooter (cost 250.000); Devil Scooter (tokens only)

Pokémon Mount
This idea is for later in the game for more advanced trainers: I think it would be cool to mount your pokémons. That’s why I create an suggest for it:
Mount Tutor
Off course all things start with learning it to an pokémon. This system is rather easy. You go to the mount tutor that you unlock during an quest. When talking to him he will ask what pokémon he should learn the stripes for mounting just like an day care or something. The differents is that you will have to pay for those stripes. You can learn you pokémon up to 5 stripes. On max stripes you can mount the pokémon so long you want to. On lower stripes the pokémon sometimes hit you off what is why it make it an less trusty ability than an simple bike. Not all pokémons are mountable. Some that are too small, unevoled or just doesn’t fit the mount. Some pokémons even need more than 1 stripe before you even can start mounting them. You will have to wait 24 hours to train him 1 stripe. Below an example the stripes system can be.
  • 1 stripe: Mount only (20% trusty) – cost 350.000 to reach
  • 2 stripes: Mount only (40% trusty) – cost 3.500.000 to reach
  • 3 stripes: Able to use modificated abilities (fly as mount, faster surf, faster dive, dig, teleport ); (60% trusty) – cost 35.000.000 to reach
  • 4 stripes: Able to use modificated abilities (fly as mount, faster surf, dig, teleport ); (80% trusty) – cost tokens to reach
  • 5 stripes: Able to use modificated abilities (fly as mount, faster surf, dig, teleport ); (100% trusty) – cost tokens to reach
Using Pokémon’s as mount may look more useful than you think. For example with some Pokémon you can mount over areas like lava where you maybe can find interesting pokémon (high lv magmar for example). Simply said, mountain can bring new catch areas to the world that where before not possible.

Any comments or suggestions please reply ;)

Merse

Youngster
Although it seems like a fine idea altogether, I think devs have far more pressing issues to fix than traveling. Economic crisis, broken battle system, new mart, for instance, but I think even a new region should be a higher priority then making travel easier than it is now.

InvisibleMonsters

i don't see an issue with the traveling now. the bike we have now is fine and so is the walking. maybe in the future, add one new bike/new shoes maybe to make you go faster but there doesn't need to be like 4 different kinds of each. i just honestly don't see a problem because it isn't like the real games where everything is more detailed/takes longer to the point where you need to fly just to get there faster because walking/bikes take too long.

Faabz.

Youngster
Merse said:
Although it seems like a fine idea altogether, I think devs have far more pressing issues to fix than traveling. Economic crisis, broken battle system, new mart, for instance, but I think even a new region should be a higher priority then making travel easier than it is now.

Agree with Merse but i disagree on the prices i wouldn't pay that amount to fly lol

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Well, I say this from my own POV and not as staff.

Kanto is all nicely interconnected with a central point of Saffron. Probably one of the easiest regions to travel around.
Johto is slightly less convenient, but it still has a slightly centralized city: Goldenrod. In reality, the interconnecting area is the route to the right of violet, but whatever.
Hoenn is...well...there are tunnels that are unlocked later that allow the player to travel slightly more conveniently, and from (I think slateport?) you can kind of go several different directions. It's a bit more messy than Johto and a lot less convenient than Kanto.
Sinnoh is OH GOD WHAT

etc.

I feel that the more we progress, the more important traveling convenience will be. For now, though, it's my opinon that we fix things like the PC system and map system and battle system and trading system and the client and pricing and *rambles on for another half an hour.*

CoolKnightST

i don't see an issue with the traveling now. the bike we have now is fine and so is the walking. maybe in the future, add one new bike/new shoes maybe to make you go faster but there doesn't need to be like 4 different kinds of each. i just honestly don't see a problem because it isn't like the real games where everything is more detailed/takes longer to the point where you need to fly just to get there faster because walking/bikes take too long.

Agree with Merse but i disagree on the prices i wouldn't pay that amount to fly lol

There isn't an issus, I just was thinking about how to expand the possibilities when it comes to transport and expand the recuitements to reach now areas that can be used for new pokémon spots. When it comes to bikes I mostly linked every upgrade from an bike with an now option to enter new areas:
  • Mach: Muddy Walls (I got this bike from 3rth generation)
  • Mountain: Dirty Roads and dessert (dessert is an new area in 3rth generation that requires an items to enter, my idea is to implement it in this bike upgrade)
  • Acro: Jump on hills (I got this bike from 3rth generation)
  • Star: Not really an upgrade, just the best bike for tokens with all function in it.
Note that all this bikes are upgrades so for example acro bike will have all function from mach and mountain bike.

For running shoes there maybe are to many from them. I first want to also give them ablities to cross certain areas like bikes but I decide to don't do this however I maybe have an idea: (ice: walk normal on ice; magma: walk on heat areas; etc...)

That idea for fly was an beter version from it. The fly still can exist on another way but that idea was more for mount. This idea was when you hold shift when you mount you will see the map like with fly but now you can navigate like an map. When spot holding shift you will be on the area that you reached on the map.

Well, I say this from my own POV and not as staff.

Kanto is all nicely interconnected with a central point of Saffron. Probably one of the easiest regions to travel around.
Johto is slightly less convenient, but it still has a slightly centralized city: Goldenrod. In reality, the interconnecting area is the route to the right of violet, but whatever.
Hoenn is...well...there are tunnels that are unlocked later that allow the player to travel slightly more conveniently, and from (I think slateport?) you can kind of go several different directions. It's a bit more messy than Johto and a lot less convenient than Kanto.
Sinnoh is OH GOD WHAT

etc.

I feel that the more we progress, the more important traveling convenience will be. For now, though, it's my opinon that we fix things like the PC system and map system and battle system and trading system and the client and pricing and *rambles on for another half an hour.*

It was never my intention to mark this suggestion as breng it out. This suggestion more marks inspiration to make PWO different than the normal game. I don't even want that they make something like this before they fix the bugs. I post this suggestion to see the opinion about it, but now when I think about it this system will probaly make the map slight smaller (players view). I still think they maybe can make something nice from travaling. I just hope you liked reading the suggestion.

---

When think most things are answer here.