Some reasons, that I want to know.

ash.catchem

Youngster
Just curious to know about:

• Can anybody tell me why do server gets crashes and how?
  • How do they fix it?
  • How do more than one servers brings more problems?
  • Since all staff members live in different countries, how do they restart same server?

Naero

• Can anybody tell me why do server gets crashes and how?

The server crashes often due to errors in the server coding. I don't have vast knowledge of the inner workings of the server coding, so I can't elaborate into in-depth detail, but due to faulty server coding, the server often fails to complete a task and is frozen in the process, and it requires a reboot since it can no longer resume the process.
    • How do they fix it?

Simply by rebooting the server. It's a fast process, but DEVs and Admins are not active 24/7 to do so, hence some prolonged periods of downtime.

For a long-term fix (to render more stability within the server coding and more longevity to the server uptime), a rewrite of the server coding will be required to prevent server crashes and alleviate other problems with the server.
    • How do more than one servers brings more problems?

From my understanding, multiple servers had trouble saving progress to the same database in the past. Other than requirng more complex server coding to do such, it'd require more money to fund for the additional server, among other problems.

Stank

Youngster
#4. its all done online they don't physically have access to the machine, they just connect to it via the internet

ash.catchem

Youngster
One more question:
I often see GMs or ADMs online on forums, when game is offline unplanned, so why do they not restart the server?

Naero

Admins and DEVs are not always instantly notified or aware that the server is down, thus they often restart it after they are alerted or after they discover it themselves if they choose to. Another reason is that they may be busy and occupied with other tasks in the event of a server crash, and thus it's ultimately their decision whether or not they want to restart the server. They aren't obliged to restart the server everytime it crashes however, even if it's unintentional downtime. Thus it should be considered a favor, more or less, if they voluntarily decide to restart the server.

Also, to note: GMs are not privileged with the ability to restart the server. Only Admins and DEVs are entrusted with the complete server access required to do so.

However, if you're inquiring about this because you made such observations tonight, let's just say that it's intentional for this particular night due to the SOPA protest. ;)