Solving the problem of pokemon old ivs - Resolvendo o problema dos pokemons old ivs

Electrofreak

The 20% stuff was admitted to be a glitch by staff back then. 28-31 was not a glitch. 32 was an error in the RNG system. You cannot and should not conflate 28-31 as the same as 32 iv or 20% boost. That is the main contention. This was WORKING AS INTENDED, whereas the other 2 were not. Furthermore the change from the 20% boost kept the same ivs. 20% boost pokemon had that boost applied to IVs that were already there, it did not change anything inherently correct about the pokemon.

Those are all major reasons why this is not in fact the same.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
It may have been working as intended but it was later considered a mistake and that needed to be fixed, my point is that it is seen by some that it was only half fixed since the old ones did not get updated to match the new system. It is a valid argument as are the other arguments that the old IVs were left as they were. It's just differing opinions.

Electrofreak

HitmonFonty said:
It may have been working as intended but it was later considered a mistake and that needed to be fixed, my point is that it is seen by some that it was only half fixed since the old ones did not get updated to match the new system. It is a valid argument as are the other arguments that the old IVs were left as they were. It's just differing opinions.

Yeah and I get that part.  Personally, I wouldn't mind a system that locked a pokemon once whatever the system is changes natures/abilities from being traded.  The battling bit I disagree with for the above reasons, but I see no reason to disagree with locking a pokemon once changed by whatever implemented system. The person who buys the pokemon loses no value, and can still use it.  However it comes with the cost of never being able to be traded again. Old players don't trade certain pokemon anyway except for cases of RMT or give it away to friends when they quit, so it would reduce wealth stagnation. I don't plan to trade a lot of my pokemon, ever, and plan to let them die with my account as we have discussed before.

However it creates problems in terms of consistency for new pokemon that end up with old ivs and so on. There are a few old iv pokemon that are actually new pokemon by now I would imagine, not many, but some. Take the below dragonite for example. It is basically old ivs and functions just as well as an old iv one for all intents and purposes. Suddenly stuff like that becomes the prime meat of the market and it revolves around epic new iv that are close to old. Does this really solve any problem? Not really.   Right now players can afford great new iv pokemon because old ones are so expensive and take that spotlight.  However this also means the shinies they catch are lowered in value. If you lock, then great iv'd new pokemon become harder for these players to obtain.

28a43a0b66f0474a902776e612f8e1ba.png

Ultimately it becomes a "pick your poison" moment for new players. If the things they catch go up in value, then it costs more to make a team but rewards hunters immensely. If competition exists between new and olds, then new players can more easily construct a team.  In the long term however it would stop older players from giving away all their high profile shinies when they quit.  The downside to this is what about the collectors? They might never use whatever system comes out to lock them and thus just sit on it for ages waiting to resell for even higher.  You can't just lock pokemon in a blanket lock because it would be unfair to the guy with 4 old shiny gyarados trying to sell them but couldn't before the lock hit. That would just harm a new player who bought some olds to resell or an old player that might have needed to sell one of those to buy some stuff.

Ultimately the market will adjust around to whatever force you implement to the system. Personally I feel like a secondary force is more of a solution to the problem. By this I mean something that forces effort and not the click of a button. 

The type of market force implemented will need to do the following to help anyone:
1. Supply some incentive to new IV pokemon through some secondary means to make them appealing in some fashion to old pokemon.
2. Restrict the versatility of old pokemon to adjust to this new system through some effort-based task. 
  a. Since it is effort based, people can't complain that anything was actually taken from them. If they complain about having to play the game, too bad.
3. Create a window for new players to make money by the presence of 2, so that by actively playing the game they can get somewhere economically. 
   a. A person who just pays a daycare person to do their work for them is reducing their wealth to increase another's for instance.

Now the details of such a system, and how much time is fair and acceptable and so on would need to be discussed. One thing most old players hate is effort. Abuse that. Most want to just passively play the game and wait for updates. This type of system would give them a reason to play, or to give money to other players to do stuff for them if they didn't feel like it. 

Source: ME  Battle tower is great, it brought tons of things we needed and I'm thankful for it. It was a horrible grind that gave me flashbacks so I bought most of the items from other players. I was a lazy derp in regards to this. I know other old players who did the same thing. Tons of people did it.

Something along those lines is more of a healthy system depending on the details of how it is worked out. The cause-effect bit plays out in a meaningful way without hurting anyone. New players benefit more than the old in this equation, but not in a way that directly harms anyone. 

The golden question is how can a system created require more effort for high iv pokemon as opposed to low iv pokemon or old vs new? That would probably be a pain in the butt to code but might be worth it.

Nyx~

mhmm, thx Electro for replying, let's hope it all gets solved in a fair matter, even tho i dont see the problem x.x i can imagine players would think its unfair but still for battling it doesnt matter much x.x good points!

mati-leo

Electrofreak said:
HitmonFonty said:

Yeah and I get that part.  Personally, I wouldn't mind a system that locked a pokemon once whatever the system is changes natures/abilities from being traded.  The battling bit I disagree with for the above reasons, but I see no reason to disagree with locking a pokemon once changed by whatever implemented system. The person who buys the pokemon loses no value, and can still use it.  However it comes with the cost of never being able to be traded again. Old players don't trade certain pokemon anyway except for cases of RMT or give it away to friends when they quit, so it would reduce wealth stagnation. I don't plan to trade a lot of my pokemon, ever, and plan to let them die with my account as we have discussed before.

However it creates problems in terms of consistency for new pokemon that end up with old ivs and so on. There are a few old iv pokemon that are actually new pokemon by now I would imagine, not many, but some. Take the below dragonite for example. It is basically old ivs and functions just as well as an old iv one for all intents and purposes. Suddenly stuff like that becomes the prime meat of the market and it revolves around epic new iv that are close to old. Does this really solve any problem? Not really.   Right now players can afford great new iv pokemon because old ones are so expensive and take that spotlight.  However this also means the shinies they catch are lowered in value. If you lock, then great iv'd new pokemon become harder for these players to obtain.

Ultimately it becomes a "pick your poison" moment for new players. If the things they catch go up in value, then it costs more to make a team but rewards hunters immensely. If competition exists between new and olds, then new players can more easily construct a team.  In the long term however it would stop older players from giving away all their high profile shinies when they quit.  The downside to this is what about the collectors? They might never use whatever system comes out to lock them and thus just sit on it for ages waiting to resell for even higher.  You can't just lock pokemon in a blanket lock because it would be unfair to the guy with 4 old shiny gyarados trying to sell them but couldn't before the lock hit. That would just harm a new player who bought some olds to resell or an old player that might have needed to sell one of those to buy some stuff.

Ultimately the market will adjust around to whatever force you implement to the system. Personally I feel like a secondary force is more of a solution to the problem. By this I mean something that forces effort and not the click of a button. 

The type of market force implemented will need to do the following to help anyone:
1. Supply some incentive to new IV pokemon through some secondary means to make them appealing in some fashion to old pokemon.
2. Restrict the versatility of old pokemon to adjust to this new system through some effort-based task. 
  a. Since it is effort based, people can't complain that anything was actually taken from them. If they complain about having to play the game, too bad.
3. Create a window for new players to make money by the presence of 2, so that by actively playing the game they can get somewhere economically. 
   a. A person who just pays a daycare person to do their work for them is reducing their wealth to increase another's for instance.

Now the details of such a system, and how much time is fair and acceptable and so on would need to be discussed. One thing most old players hate is effort. Abuse that. Most want to just passively play the game and wait for updates. This type of system would give them a reason to play, or to give money to other players to do stuff for them if they didn't feel like it. 

Source: ME  Battle tower is great, it brought tons of things we needed and I'm thankful for it. It was a horrible grind that gave me flashbacks so I bought most of the items from other players. I was a lazy derp in regards to this. I know other old players who did the same thing. Tons of people did it.

Something along those lines is more of a healthy system depending on the details of how it is worked out. The cause-effect bit plays out in a meaningful way without hurting anyone. New players benefit more than the old in this equation, but not in a way that directly harms anyone. 

The golden question is how can a system created require more effort for high iv pokemon as opposed to low iv pokemon or old vs new? That would probably be a pain in the butt to code but might be worth it.

Staff: This old mate is giving you answers with facts and info and I agree 100 % with everything he said. Keep in mind that Im no longer active, which means that Im not being selfish with my point/s of view as you may think...

You must focus on the old players as you focus on the new players, make a balance, because new players will be old players aswell and they'll have advantage over future new players, its a circle, isn't it a bit ridiculous ? Its like a wheel that will never stop. Not trying to offend anyone, just throwing how I see it.
Some people will cry with epic shinys and epic non shinys, so If I have epic non shinys they will cry again and again, the fact of not being as *good/pro/old/rich* as me/you will make them blame us for having good things, most of them. But this game, this game called pokemon, it isn't supposed to be easy.
And the thing about shinys having ''advantage'' in battle is a tale that has been told by someone that doesn't have much knowledge in the battle scene. I can guarantee you it with facts that everything is about estrategy and common sense when is about battling... so keep that out, because its not a problem. There are problems, shinys in the battle scene are NOT. Give me a bunch of non shinys and you'll see me in the top ladder again.
The game is what it is, focus on new regions, NATURES*, EVS*, new quest, new npcs, new maps... and you'll see how everything turns out well.
Think about it.
Zebra: You, JJ and midnightm are the ones I always see around interacting with the community, which is a good thing, something that others must do aswell. Keep it that way.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
mati-leo said:
Electrofreak said:
HitmonFonty said:

Staff: This old mate is giving you answers with facts and info and I agree 100 % with everything he said. Keep in mind that Im no longer active, which means that Im not being selfish with my point/s of view as you may think...

You must focus on the old players as you focus on the new players, make a balance, because new players will be old players aswell and they'll have advantage over future new players, its a circle, isn't it a bit ridiculous ? Its like a wheel that will never stop. Not trying to offend anyone, just throwing how I see it.
Some people will cry with epic shinys and epic non shinys, so If I have epic non shinys they will cry again and again, the fact of not being as *good/pro/old/rich* as me/you will make them blame us for having good things, most of them. But this game, this game called pokemon, it isn't supposed to be easy.
And the thing about shinys having ''advantage'' in battle is a tale that has been told by someone that doesn't have much knowledge in the battle scene. I can guarantee you it with facts that everything is about estrategy and common sense when is about battling... so keep that out, because its not a problem. There are problems, shinys in the battle scene are NOT. Give me a bunch of non shinys and you'll see me in the top ladder again.
The game is what it is, focus on new regions, NATURES*, EVS*, new quest, new npcs, new maps... and you'll see how everything turns out well.
Think about it.
Zebra: You, JJ and midnightm are the ones I always see around interacting with the community, which is a good thing, something that others must do aswell. Keep it that way.

Exactly, no since in the staff screwing other players just because they have been here for a while. If anything they should be rewarded for their dedication to this game because lets face it, the game has given plenty of reasons for players to leave and never return but these players still have stayed loyal. As I said in an earlier post, the whole discussion is pointless and the fact that some of the staff and some of the players are even wasting time trying to solve this minor problem which isn't even a problem truly baffles me. There are much more important things that we all should be thinking about. The staff still has a full plate, no need in giving them extra servings.

Electrofreak

@Jobey

I agree with your sentiment but the issue is staff are moreso trying to engage the community about this to minimize a potential backlash. With something like this if you just create a system without warning or don't go through these steps, people will just retaliate and raise pitchforks at why they disagree with whatever the system is. My guess is that staff have an idea of what to do but as usual lack manpower to do anything about it. (See: sevii islands, battle system taking so long, the cookies on the counter...ooo cookies.)  That being the situation, with people wanting some answers, they are probably just using the playerbases' discussions to get an idea of what the majority perspective is to gauge response when something goes live as well as to tweak whatever the working ideas are within the staff area. Fonty has said there are some ideas being tossed around and has mentioned that a reroll is more than likely not going to happen. This implies staff are ahead of most players in the discussion, and are probably coming to some sort of conclusion or dancing near one at least.

Hypothetically, if they didn't engage the playerbase and just released something, they would be going in blind as to what type of response they would get or if the playerbase would just turn coat and run. This isn't to say they don't listen to player input.

This is not to say staff never listen to players or that what players say don't matter. It is very hit and miss with what is figured out and what isn't when staff post on the forums. The only thing players can do is try and give thoughtful explanations to what they think would work and why. Game design is dynamic. Implementing something makes other parts of the game change as well, especially markets. This is why simplistic "I think X" does not work and often just gets head pat responses from staff thanking you for your input. It isn't because staff aren't thankful for activity, but rather it just isn't the type of well thought out response needed in those instances to actually change or do anything based on that. I had a very unique situation that I wanted dealt with as a battler and that meshed well with their need for an event later in the year without me knowing. 

Example of player input working:

Back in 2014 our egg move breeding system came out. The metagame was still no-switch, creating some interesting situations. Jolteon was used on almost every team. After you used it to KO the starmie or something on the opposing team, you had full HP left.  They would bring out their ground type or something to counter jolteon. Jolteon is faster than any of its counters so it would proceed to growl. This growl would stop an OHKO from the majority of pokemon allowing the jolteon to growl again.  So suddenly upon this jolteon's death, you have a pokemon with 50% of its original attack vs whatever comes in next. The most common situation is that someone would then bring in a salamence or gyarados (with intimidate to lower you even more) and then proceed to boost with dragon dance on you.  You could not stop the sweep afterwards because they would proceed to one shot everything else on your team.

I was somewhat joking around in chat going #razor-fang-2k14. However I took my idea to IRC. Why? If something is worth implementing, it is usually more complicated than can be easily explained in a global chat to have a conversation. This lead to forum discussions with some staff members from content creation. Discussing pros and cons followed from there. I explained that the only pokemon in existence (given pwo's limitations of first ability only and no items at that time) that stood as a hard counter to this strategy was gliscor. Its first ability was hyper cutter which prevented its attack stat from dropping. It had access to a stab earthquake and immunity to jolteon's thunderbolt/thunder.  It also had access to thunder and ice fang to deal with the common boosting pokemon at the time with a good physical bulk to boot.  I explained that this pokemon was necessary and how it had tons of counters already in the game that kept it from becoming a problem itself.  Later that year the halloween event had come. I received an in-game message from one of the staff members that just told me something along the lines of you will like this event's prize with a smiley face. When I saw the event had you fight a gliscor at one of the intervals I freaked out. I rushed through the rest of the quest line and got a razor fang. Once hyper cutter was fixed soon after, the jolteon problem was over.

Staff care, and they do listen but the only intend to implement things that are thought out. Old staff ways of "this is cool let's do it" are gone.  What most people don't realize is that staff have to be ahead of the playerbase on almost every issue or they aren't doing an effective job. This is also what is frustrating and difficult at the same time. 

P.S. 
Someone who knows Donald Trump get him to hire me for building that wall. I just built another one on this forum and I could get paid for this skill. Plz help kthnx.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Electrofreak said:
Staff care, and they do listen but the only intend to implement things that are thought out. Old staff ways of "this is cool let's do it" are gone.  What most people don't realize is that staff have to be ahead of the playerbase on almost every issue or they aren't doing an effective job. This is also what is frustrating and difficult at the same time.

Indeed. You also must realise that as Staff, we are constantly thinking long-term, towards the future of the game. There are many ideas to many problems that may seem like a good fix now, but only delay problems reoccurring in the future, or actually make things worse for newer players etc in the long term. We have to consider every route when fixing problems; including routes that may sting at first or make our player base angry, but which will lead to a better outcome going forward. This is why I appreciate discussion threads like this - it is nice when it is not only us, but also the Playerbase themselves discussing a problem and trying to explore different routes together; and sometimes you all think of things we don't. Even when the discussions are ideas we've considered already, it's nice to know what you as a group all think and to be able to discuss the questions in our own heads. Above all, it shows that you players care about the game just as much as we do :)