Server reset button

kurtisbmx

Hey I am not even sure if this is possible but y don't use have a server reset button on the website and give access to certain trusted people . Who cut down time down like crazy if it is possible that is . If u give acces to trusted people who are on pwo most of the time there would be next to no downtime just a thought . :)

Saric

Youngster
In order to restart the server the person needs complete and total server access.
Usually no one but Admins/devs get trusted with that.

kurtisbmx

I was just thinking is there a way they can code it some how for a button to pop up say in server status when it goes down and anybody can just press to reset server once again not even sure if it is possible to do it lol

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
This very idea has been discussed previously on the PWO Forum; and was judged to be both dangerous and impractical.

G

Man to much downtime which makes this idea good because people don't like waiting and is the guy who handles token get his computer fixed?

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
*sigh* So we should just release stuff that is dangerous just to please those who can't wait then magedm9?

kurtisbmx

It was just a thought but the server has been good lately downtime has been cut down a lot

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I'll agree that it has been down more than usual lately, and that it would be nice for the server to be easily restarted. However, as others have said before, it'd probably end up doing some nasty damage to the game because several people would use it at once/abuse or exploit it/it would glitch/etc.

Anyhow, the idea (and several variations thereof) have been suggested quite a few times before; but seeing how the forum was wiped there is absolutely no way you'd have been able to search the forums to check.

G

wish there was another option where the server restarts faster ):

kurtisbmx

I did have a quick look to see if there was some topics about it but couldn't find any I Kia the dev have a life and jobs or UNO or even both but couldn't they have a notification system that tells them when the server is down ?

Nightstalian

How about instead of a button the server automatically restarts twice a day at 12 and 24?

G

Nightstalian said:
How about instead of a button the server automatically restarts twice a day at 12 and 24?
That actually sounds like a good idea.

Miks

many online games do some. and some reload ones in 3 hours.
could you do it automatically ????? it is one script

G

Miks said:

If there is auto-restart,.. and It happened When u're trying to catch a shiny, I bet you'll say this idea is really bad.. :|

G

Numontia said:
Miks said:

If there is auto-restart,.. and It happened When u're trying to catch a shiny, I bet you'll say this idea is really bad.. :|
It's better than the server being down for almost the whole day, oh, and there is a solution for that as well, maybe a GM could send a message to the whole server warning the players that maintenance is about to be done in 5 minutes let's say, so they know they need to get to a safe area.

G

Miks said:

I agree with you on this one. Many MMO's do this and most of them have automatic warnings 15, 10, 5, 1 minute(s), and 30 sec countdown. I'm not sure if this is a possible thing to do without the big bucks, but it would be cool. Of course, this is a free Beta that I am happy to have even been selected to play on, so there are no complaints from me. This, however, may lessen the whining that comes from server crashes. Although, one reset a day would probably be enough IMO.

Maideza

To be honest, this is never an issue while Lee had a functioning PC.

Clearly means either somehow get him a new PC, or look for reliable people who can restart it. The latter is the tricky part.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Due to the way the server is coded, any who is given access to restart the server also has access to the entire server, this is why only DEVs/Admins have that power. Its not just about trusting them to not abuse it, but to not abuse the server as a whole, or even just being skilled enough that they don't break something by accident. We have tries auto-restarters in the past, and none of them have worked (i'm unsure on the how and why's of this) so I don't know if its something that would stop any restarter, or just the ones that were tried.

kurtisbmx said:
I did have a quick look to see if there was some topics about it but couldn't find any I Kia the dev have a life and jobs or UNO or even both but couldn't they have a notification system that tells them when the server is down ?
Its not that they don't know its down, but that they not in a position to restart it at this time.

G

Why not give teamviewer or vpn acces to the administrators? They can handle tokens, so surely they can be trusted to restart the server?

I have ran several servers in the past (For different games of course) and it's actually quite possible to make this work in a way that it records every single action a third party does.