Scrap Hoenn - New Region from Scratch

VinceyZZ

VinceyZZ said:
Yeah you read that right ladies and gents. I've seen quite a few topics about this, not to mention reading the wiki. And my opinion is, why are we even following the games, and the shows. For nostalgia purposes and to make things familiar for new players the first regions should be the same, but from there on out, whats to stop us from creating out own new unique region. Whats even better is, if we do things this way, we could possibly sneak in a new region, without having to have the new client yet!
Here is my Run Down of how I would work this
> Every pokemon must be deposited into the Pc(the one thing I agree on with most everyone, is that we do need to start from scratch!) - This is actually a flaw. There is technically no way to deposit all of your pokemon, and we'd most likely be relying on trainers to be trustworthy enough to even switch out one of their pokemon for the new starters! However, this is the only flaw I'm aware of in this plan, and I believe if we could get everything else working, the scripters most certainly could find a solution.
> Gen 4 starters. I'm skipping Gen 3 for a good reason: people have been buying gen 3 from the token store. It really isn't fair making it so people could sudden grab them for free when people have been buying tokens to get them. Besides that, it'd be less troublesome than refunding those people as well. Also I believe we should make some of the Gen 3 token pokemon(not the starters) accessible in the wild, but only a few, and we could make those HR or VR. Again not all, only a few.
> Wild Pokemon Will consist of Gen 3 and 4, as well as some from 1 and 2.
> Completely new map! We're not even going to borrow a little from Hoenn or Sinnoh.
A Community Project
I respect the fact that the PWO Staff Members may not have all the time in the world to work on the game. I understand completely, this game is after all free, what right do we have to demand them to work continuously on this. But I've been looking through these forums, and I've seen many talented people, and I think many of them would jump at the chance to help out in a project like this. Anyways here is just a list of the kind of support a project like this would need from the community:
> Arists: We'd need maps drawn, and possibly a few new sprites drawn(for pokemon followers)
> Writers: People who would write quests, and what NPCs will often say. Also I feel this would be a great opportunity to restart the Passenger Pidgey.
>Musicians: We can reuse a lot of the music, but it'd be cool to have a bit of new music. Of course we could also remix some of the music from later games like Hoenn, and Sinnoh, but its possible they might come out eventually and I'd want to save those remixes for those versions.
> Scripters: Not much to say here. This is the backbone of the game, we couldn't do anything without them.

Comment, give suggestions, and correct me if I got any info wrong. Thanks for reading lads and ladies.

OGPokemaster

I actually have been think along the same lines recently. if the hoenn maps are such a problem why didnt they just create a whole new region instead of having to wait for a new client to be made. idk to me that seems much more practical then having to create a whole new client (which im still sure they'd still eventually have to do) just to add a single region in. Theres really no excuse why they shouldnt do it, pwo has already strayed pretty far from the handheld games and this could provide players with a much needed boost to moral, and i really dont think this would be any harder then making hoenn or developing a new client. sure it'd take time but having to wait another year or two for a new map is better then the state of limbo that hoenn is in, with no addition in sight for the future. all in all i agree with you vincey, but i think if they did do it they they should try to add pokemon from all but the latest gen. anyways thts my 2 cent

Gobfather

I also agree with some ideas here. I do however wish to await a fully functional Hoenn and other regions to bring me that nostalgia that I came here for, and am willing to wait all the time it takes to come out with the new client. Having said that I think that an entirely separate fan made map for a fan mad game ;D. We do have many talented mappers here and some with very promising potential. Would love to see that we might be able to create a sub region or map solely dedicated to fan made maps and fan made quests featuring a few pokemon from gen 4 and others included as HR unobtainable before. I doubt it is possible yet but, I would love to see things such as fossils, especially as Aerodactyl annoyingly costs 16 dollars. I think it would be very cool for the game to finaly have a major update, and perhaps give reason for people to stop leaving and others something else to do. This idea could be very interesting, including future area for games that could award us points allowing us to purchase different accesories and atire, or perhaps sprites, even smaller things such as the pumpkin heads/santa hats already in game and would just need to be rereleased. This game has tbh fallen rather boring, and something to hold us over until the new client would be great ;D

Kilacis

Being one of the people who played Pokemon since 1995 and watched it grow into what it is now, I'd be 100% satisfied with this custom area; as Hoenn and Sinnoh aren't that special compared to where the originality of the actual game came to be what we call "Pokemon".

VinceyZZ

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually brain stormed a few more ideas to add, and I'm also going to add an explanation for the way I planned things. Also if I can grab some more support and if staff allows it, I wouldn't mind putting together a team to work on this.

VinceyZZ

Caragam said:
Idea is very nice for all peoples. Idea of new continet is not bad at all beacuse pwo has a long trip to be anywhere close to nintendo. So making something different would be right i think. When i was playing pwo with my friends last week we had reunion. Only bad thing was that server actually crashed once or two times in 1 week. They only played maybe little and they left beacuse game can crash more then 2 times in one week beacuse bad coding. Then they started to play other game and minecraft. And game is also expensive if you want anything special. There is always defend for thise one for example that game is beta so not mention much. If i understand you want new region with generartion 4 and 4 pokes? i think some pokes will be controled because they cant get money from doantions then. Owner would loose interest in this project and try luck somehwere else. For now almost maximun is achieved beauce people dont want to buy anymore shineys tat are only up to generatrion3 and with hoenn one day maybe common rare. But maybe this game really needs so much for development. Maybe developers are testing already from our money who knows. But I think it cant be helped. Poor kids, sometimes feel sorry for them really, but that will always happen in most fan games. And item are expesive. 1 token pokemon costs like whole month of internet. You can even try to buy starters for money but people clone them in thousands and what is funny its still ingame epic of those. To bad many peple come here to test bots and play with it beacuse they let bot to dominate ingame. Now its late beacuse they got money and risch people are happy. But yeah i think we need new region to have fun beacuse we are at same place for years no matter of money donated. They easy find an volonteur to make art and draw maps which is not have anything with money we get and for real develpment. But yeah totally for fun beace you cant get anything as new without stealing so easy. Maybe only for few month fun then lights will turn off becasue peoples will ask for more beucuase previous resources has been drained already. For example now everything is drained and many peopples go away from game and many veteran. but i hope to some real development on server rather then seeking for maps and new promises lasting few years. Maybe I am wrong here and maybe game realy doesnt have much money to develop, but years passed and only we saw is something volentur can do if they are in good mood. maybe cleann serevr if we get some update worthy of words beacuse you cant gurantee that less then 70% of things are legaly cauhgt or not bug abused ion token store. For now we only see removing content and adding made in china one. good luck i hope we see good develpment worth of word but for now i wait and play minecrat or something else.
Thats the main problem with this game. No new content. And yeah I choose to skip the 3rd region in starters because those are token store items. So they'll still be obtainable only by buying them. I want to add a few token store pokemons to the map, but not too many, so the owners will still profit off selling them.

Gobfather

Thats the main problem with this game. No new content. And yeah I choose to skip the 3rd region in starters because those are token store items. So they'll still be obtainable only by buying them. I want to add a few token store pokemons to the map, but not too many, so the owners will still profit off selling them.

Original owners have left a long time ago, current owners including all staff do not profit from any of this, none of the money goes to them.

VinceyZZ

Gobfather said:

Original owners have left a long time ago, current owners including all staff do not profit from any of this, none of the money goes to them.
So money is more of an upkeep thing, server costs right? Money still comes into the equation somehow and I really don't have any intentions of taking away any funding from the game.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Just speaking for myself, I'd be very disappointed if Hoenn was never added to PWO. We have been waiting for it for a long time now and I think the wait will be worth it when all the conditions are right for it. One of the main goals of PWO from the start does seem to have been to bring the handheld version of the game onto the big screen so to speak and adapt it to an MMO that we can enjoy playing as a gaming community. So while I don't have anything against adding original content, areas and maybe even regions in the future, I think the regions established in the handheld games should come first. For want of a better word I think PWO is a homage to Nintendo's Pokemon world.

I should also point out that it isn't just restrictions to the maps that were and are the issue with adding Hoenn. If you'll look at Kanto and more so Johto there is still a lot of content missing- the game is incomplete in many ways not just a lack of more regions. Even Victory Road and the Elite Four, such a major part of the handheld games, is still missing, among other key parts of both regions that PWO either has had time to add or hasn't had the ability to add properly.

Having said that, we have had many improvements this year that we didn't think were possible without the major overhauls to client and server coding we are waiting on, so who really knows what is around the corner for us?

Merse

Youngster
Let's face it... The new client is under development for a year now, and we didn't see even a screenshot from it. Hardcoreh checks in once in every 2-3 months, and posts some minor updates, which indicates that he barely works on the development of the new client. Maybe he lost interest, or doesn't have time, it doesn't really matter. But it becomes doubtful if he will ever finish his work. And with the lod core team of staff (Blue, Choco, Jinji etc.) are obviously losing interest in the game on an alarming rate, and they don't pass their role to new staff members (maybe because there are no candidates, or maybe they just don't want to) we desperately need something to revitalize bot the staff and the community, or PWO may prepare to be shut down permanently sooner than you would think...
A brand new region could be this something.

Kitrina

i like it :3 like i dont like how we probably wont see hoenn for even longer if this goes thro but idk ive played for like 5 days and im already at 7 gym badges. and its not like this will change really the time frame on completing everything but it would give the older players more to do cos theyre all probably bored by now lol
^ said too much.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Introducing new, permanent content into the game is a key focus of the Staff right now. We hope to have something to announce very soon.

OGPokemaster

Jinji said:
Introducing new, permanent content into the game is a key focus of the Staff right now. We hope to have something to announce very soon.

sounds promising....but i've learned to not get too excited until i see it actually the thing implemented. sry i i sound negative or if it sounds like i'm being doubtful, but i'm just being honest.