Rods suggestion

drvirus

ever since the surfing option was added to the game, fishing became less and less popular, i would like to suggest something, and i dont think its that hard to implement, in the old pokemon games there were 3 rods, the Old rod, the good rod, and the super rod, so here is what i suggest:

Old Rod:
Cost: 15k
Fishing Requirement: lvl 0 fishing
Pokemon Breaking away chance: 30%
cooldown: 15 secs

Good Rod:
Costs: 100k
Fishing Requirement: lvl 40
Pokemon Breaking away chance: 15%
Cooldown: 10 secs

Super Rod:
Costs: 500k
Fishing Requirement: lvl 75
Pokemon Breaking away chance: 0%
Cooldown: 6 secs

what do you guys think?

Konani

If you think about it, fishing is still VERY popular. After all, you have to get a lot of money to get the surf board, and it can take awhile to get if you don't have any good Pokemon to sell.

Also, if fishing is less popular then it used to be, how would adding more rods be more help?

drvirus

because the super rod would make it better than surfing, so people would train their fishing lvl more to be able to use it, for example the dragons den, even though if you fish there are 3 less encounters than surfing, but players still rather surf because its much easier, but having a rod with a 6 sec cool down would make its just a little bit better to fish than surf

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Question: Apart from diversifying the tiers of rods, do you believe differentiating the surf encounters would be a more practical alternative to resurging the popularity of fishing? Fishing has lost ground, due to the how surfing/fishing spawns are mostly identical, and that surfing expels any level requirement that would be needed to fish the exact same surfing spawn; not to mention, the possibility of dead encounters when fishing.

Putting a more panoramic-sighted perspective on water dwellers, do you find it illogical that they would all be encountered by the same method? Should Pokemon that dwell deeper have a bigger likelihood of being fish-encountered, and should surface-oriented water spawns be more likely to be surf encountered?

Not attempting to renounce your suggestion in any way, just giving food for thought for another scenario, geared towards the same surface of repopulating the interest in fishing.

drvirus

well that would be interesting too see, but i think players would really hate this change including my self, because then you are forcing us to go with the fishing instead of the surfing, and to be honest the way fishing is right now its depressing waiting every 11 seconds for 1 try that is most likely to be a nibble or a pokemon breaking away, i would like to see better rods with lvl requirements to make people want to lvl up the their fishing skill instead of just ignoring it.

now if the rod options became something similar to what i suggested, then i would prefer the changes of making surfing pokemon different than fishing pokemon

Fionavara

we wanted more rods from the day pwo started but it's not that high on the priority list I think.
It's a good proposal though.

Professor.Oak

Here are my suggestions for bringing back Fishing back from the dead!
Though I do realize that most if not all of these suggestions probably won't be be able to be added until the new client, if at all.

1. Fishing Animation! I hate just seeing my character completly still while fishing, it would be great if there was an animation to go with fishing as it also explains why there has to be a cooldown.(throwing rod, waiting for fish, etc)
2. Better IV's. People are always on the rage for better IV'd Pokemon, one insentive to fish would be because fishing Pokemon could have a -slightly- better IV range
3.Bizzare Rods. i.e.
Shiny Rod - Gives -slightly- better chance of finding shiny Fishing Pokemon
Deep Sea Rod - Could be used in combination with Suggestion 2, gives you a higher chance for finding more furocious deep sea Pokemon.
Exp Rod - Gives you more exp off sea battles when used
Money Rod - Gives you more money off sea battles when used
These could be obtained.off quests.
4. Different Kind of Random Chance. In the handhelds, Feebas for example would only appear in a single tile out of a whole lake, this could be implemented in PWO as well by making a surfing HR into only a Rare or VR, but making it only spwan in a signle or two tiles only, people like taking chances and hoping to get something quick and easy so I think people would use this, once encountered the Pokemon could change to a different tile so it would be random every time.
5. Baits - Kinda of like Bizzare Rods, different baits would let you capture different kind of Pokemon, i.e. Shiny Bait, Dragon bait, Strong IV'd bait, perhaps different baits could be used with Bizzare Rods for different combinations, only difference would be that baits would be used every.time.you fish so you'd have to keep getting.more every time, from Pokemon drops or buying them, (possible.money hole i guess)
6. Rare drops - Have more Fishing Pokemon drop more things, evoultion items, healing items, etc.

That's about it, I think if most of these ideas would be implmented we would see fishing be used a lot more, but that's just my 10 cents.

darkdane

Professor.Oak said:
Here are my suggestions for bringing back Fishing back from the dead!
Though I do realize that most if not all of these suggestions probably won't be be able to be added until the new client, if at all.

1. Fishing Animation! I hate just seeing my character completly still while fishing, it would be great if there was an animation to go with fishing as it also explains why there has to be a cooldown.(throwing rod, waiting for fish, etc)
2. Better IV's. People are always on the rage for better IV'd Pokemon, one insentive to fish would be because fishing Pokemon could have a -slightly- better IV range
3.Bizzare Rods. i.e.
Shiny Rod - Gives -slightly- better chance of finding shiny Fishing Pokemon
Deep Sea Rod - Could be used in combination with Suggestion 2, gives you a higher chance for finding more furocious deep sea Pokemon.
Exp Rod - Gives you more exp off sea battles when used
Money Rod - Gives you more money off sea battles when used
These could be obtained.off quests.
4. Different Kind of Random Chance. In the handhelds, Feebas for example would only appear in a single tile out of a whole lake, this could be implemented in PWO as well by making a surfing HR into only a Rare or VR, but making it only spwan in a signle or two tiles only, people like taking chances and hoping to get something quick and easy so I think people would use this, once encountered the Pokemon could change to a different tile so it would be random every time.
5. Baits - Kinda of like Bizzare Rods, different baits would let you capture different kind of Pokemon, i.e. Shiny Bait, Dragon bait, Strong IV'd bait, perhaps different baits could be used with Bizzare Rods for different combinations, only difference would be that baits would be used every.time.you fish so you'd have to keep getting.more every time, from Pokemon drops or buying them, (possible.money hole i guess)
6. Rare drops - Have more Fishing Pokemon drop more things, evoultion items, healing items, etc.

That's about it, I think if most of these ideas would be implmented we would see fishing be used a lot more, but that's just my 10 cents.
That's a pretty interesting topic and suggestion in my opinion. I would love to have more rods, not just like from the handheld games or just the old rod, but new types of them that people can use for better chances in what there looking for. I would suggest though if something like this came it would need to cost a lot. the baits sound cool too, but I doubt it there would be something that would bring better iv pokes, because there all naturally random. Hopefully though new rods and some of these idea's people made can come true, it would make more parts in the game more interesting :)

Merse

Youngster
Why wold a rod change the shiny or even the IV chance? It's like if you have blue and red colored, but otherwise totally identical fish in a pond, and you use the purple rod, you catch more red fish than with the brown rod. This is just not how it works! These are qualities of the Pokemon and not the fishing rod, so you shouldn't be able to influence it by an item.

Professor.Oak

Merse said:
Why wold a rod change the shiny or even the IV chance? It's like if you have blue and red colored, but otherwise totally identical fish in a pond, and you use the purple rod, you catch more red fish than with the brown rod. This is just not how it works! These are qualities of the Pokemon and not the fishing rod, so you shouldn't be able to influence it by an item.

Not exactly, as far as Ivs go, like I said there could be a rod for "deep sea" which irl, deep sea creatures are more furocious then regular fishes so that.could be a tie in if we really want to get nit picky. As far as Shinys go, if the game already has an absurd 300.percent increase in shiny chance for membership, I.dont see why it.wouldnt be ok to add an item for all other players to get a reduced chance as well to lower the gap between members and.non.members. Not even a crazy increase, just 50-75 percent increase with use.

As far as baits, irl you cant lure a shark with a shrimp or at least.youd have a harder time luring.one, by this logic, baits in.PWO could raise your chances to.find specific Pokemon, i.e. Dragon types, Electric types etc etc.