Revising the rating system in PWO

Nikola

Youngster
After noticing several topics lately where people gave their suggestion how to deal with players who tend to DC from a battle on purpose or not on purpose I decided to suggest new rating system for PWO. As you might know, we only have basic rating system for those. Players are often talking about having the loss due to game fault such as tweaked move accuracy or loss due to their opponent being lucky. Unfortunately there is one key thing in PWO which is missing and that is rating of a player. For example, if you won a battle against a player who has much lower rating then you then that battle will barely have any impact on your rating if not any at all, if you won a battle against someone who has similar rating like you then you move up. Can't really abuse this, you can battle 2 days straight but if your opponent has low rating then you will gain nothing with it. Anyway, back on the topic.

How do we determine a player's skill level atm in PWO? By doing 2+2? Easily the simplest rating system is the win-loss record, but that has the problem of rewarding players who battle with lower rated players and punishing those who seek out challenging opponents. We simply have to determinate how really player is good by being more accurate. There are several simple formulas for determination and rating deviations. Unlike other system, this ones will determinate players true rating using one more value called "RD" or call it rating deviation, which quantifies the level of uncertainty in the estimate of a player's "true rating. There is also revised version of the system with one more variable and it's called volatility, which measures the erraticness of a player's performance.
Don't get confused with constant "c". It is based on the uncertainty of a player's skill over a certain amount of time. It can be derived from a thorough data analysis, or estimated by considering the length of time that would have to pass before a player's rating deviation would grow to that of an unrated player. Anyway, you will get much more detailed info here.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
This would be a good way to encourage more true competition in the battle scene. People always complain about people disconnecting, but honestly if I battle someone who disconnects on purpose and it's obvious I never battle them again, so I don't see how it can be such a problem for people with any common sense. I like the idea of some players giving more of a rating exp. depending on their history. Overall a good suggestion.