Reputation System Overhaul by PhantomsCV

PhantomsCV

As a player that has been around through a "few" overhauls in his PWO career, from numerous major battle system changes and complete overhaul of the experience and how much a player needs to level up. Even changing the max level from 100 to 70 to 90 to 99 where it has sat idle by for years now. There has been new maps, new staff, new staff names, new protocol in PWO but ONE thing has been a constant and to my knowledge hasn't been touched since the inception of it... the reputation system besides limiting it to 1000.

Now I understand that it makes sense currently but it is so limiting as of right now. 1000 max rep and you get it through NPC and PVP battling. It is also currently what holds someone back from just running through the world of PWO without getting your gym badge (besides the point of not having a gym badge).

One of the things that has a lasting impression on the few people that I have talked about this before I post this here is that, PWO is full of thousands of achievements such as catching a shiny, donating, exploring new areas, setting up a trade password, defeating gym leaders, getting ONE poke to 99, getting A TEAM of pokes to 99, buying surfboard / bike, buying transportation tickets, buying a token, buying a token poke, getting a shiny token poke. Couldn't you imagine seeing a great achievement such as...

16WYtHq.png

or
5pF89dw.png

Onto the meat of the reason why we're reading this and I believe should change how the reputation system works and would help PWO become more of an MMORPG compared to a Pokemon game that is played with other people.

I'd like to change the reputation system from what it is into an Achievement based system. In many MMOs there are things that a person can do to progress the storyline and they get points for getting to that area or beating that boss or all kinds of things, even exploring. They get simple achievement points that really do not do anything but look fancy on a person's name. I'd like PWO to use a system similar to this but the achievement points will help progress the storyline for the player. With the achievements they will accrue points that will help them unlock certain areas just like the rep points currently.

EXAMPLE TIME:
Once the player enters the game they will hit some basic achievements such as talking to an NPC or even something as simple as moving that will keep the player interested and give that MMO feeling from the first few moments of playing. They will move on to do the basic quest and receive their Passport *another simple achievement* that will kick off the next part because they will have enough points to move on. Once they get to Kanto or Johto they will move on and get their first pokemon *another major achievement that will give the player a certain amount of points* and so forth they will go on their journey.

So that is the basics of my post and now onto the PWO personalization of the new system.

1. PWO has and will always have is playerdex that "will soon be getting an overhaul" as well and part of this is adding an achievement section on playerdex. This will help PWO do something they have been trying to do for years which is to make the game more social and interactive.
2. PWO also has had some amazing players do some outlandish things such as Fiona's 800+ shinys and HOF69s 8000+ PVP wins that are time consuming and absolutely amazing. They should be immortalized in Achievements in a section I'd like to be called "Legacy Achievements". Give a certain number of something that needs to be caught such as "500 shinys" or "6000 PVP wins.

This is just the start of the conversation I'd love to have with fellow players or staff about this overhaul.

Questions I expect to see and I'll try to answer before they are asked:

Q: How will I know if I get the achievement?
A: There are two ways I could see this happening, a simple way which would be to just post an announcement to the player in the chat, or a more complicated way of having it show up in a box like if you talk to an NPC like Nurse Joy.

Q: What about NPCs? Will they all give achievements?
A: No, they will not all give achievement points, they will be for experience and money. There will be a few NPCs that do give achievement points, such as a select few gym leaders, quest finale NPCs and a few others but the majority will not.

Q: Will I automatically get Achievements if I've done them already in game?
A: Yes, they will be given automatically since you've already done them.

Q: Can I lose achievement points or spend them?
A: You can not lose an achievement points and they're more for showing off and being a social currency than for spending them.

SapphirePhoenix

If this was added to the game, it would definitely motivate me to play more because I would then have some additional in-game reasons why I should level a bunch of Pokemon to 99 or even bother to hunt for shinies (PvP-related reasons never interested me). There also needs to be somewhere for the achievements to be displayed so people can show them off!

One thing that bothers me though, is that having too many "achievements" right at the beginning of the game might also annoy and desensitize some players. It would give the impression that achievements are effortless to acquire and the feeling of the accomplishing the handful of major ones at the end might be drowned out by the 30 or so progressive achievements we would automatically receive as we play the game normally. Many iOS games do this and after a while it feels like achievements don't really mean anything to game anymore because they often complete without the player specifically seeking it out. :s I personally felt that achievements should be something players should be proud of because they saw it as a goal and actually worked a bit more than usual to achieve it, instead of having it structured as a progressive handout (unless progressing is very very difficult).

But overall, I still like your idea and I think it is something that can work with this game. Maybe it can be incorporated with in-game ranks too, not just the rep system :D

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
I think everyone agrees that the rep system could use a bit of love since it has stagnated a bit in the game, beyond Gyms and creating a guild there's not really much use of it now which is a shame as the concept has a lot of potential behind it. Having a visible sign of your accomplishments in game is always a nice thing for people (and better than the current MS stars :p)

nemo55

Cool proposal PCV, I love it. :)

Sucks being staff though, so many things to tackle and brainstorm about... O:)

PhantomsCV

Chocobo7 said:
I think everyone agrees that the rep system could use a bit of love since it has stagnated a bit in the game, beyond Gyms and creating a guild there's not really much use of it now which is a shame as the concept has a lot of potential behind it. Having a visible sign of your accomplishments in game is always a nice thing for people (and better than the current MS stars :p)

That was one of the original thoughts I had. We put hundreds and even thousands of hours into the game but no one gets to see how well we've done besides with the /info or bragging. Having an achievement system will show others what you have done and what events you have done and many other things that we have done in our PWO careers.

Fionavara

like it pcv, steam uses it on all it's games, base rep system with hundreds of possible to impossible achivments, would definaly make the game more attractive and would create a whole new dimension of the games original purpose.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Very interesting proposal—something to add more enrichment to the PVE dimension, which is an aspect we've been wanting to put focal emphasis on improving. Much of the reason I feel that players lacked motivation for our PVE aspect is because they often were devoid of recognition—something that's often the backbone of a player's motivation in pursuing PVE accomplishments.

Moreover, the reputation points are a measure that we've wanted to overhaul for a while; it is rewardless in its current form, and not something that players seem to be pursuant of beyond the first gym. :p It's an intriguing reconceptualization to think of.

SapphirePhoenix said:
One thing that bothers me though, is that having too many "achievements" right at the beginning of the game might also annoy and desensitize some players. It would give the impression that achievements are effortless to acquire and the feeling of the accomplishing the handful of major ones at the end might be drowned out by the 30 or so progressive achievements we would automatically receive as we play the game normally. Many iOS games do this and after a while it feels like achievements don't really mean anything to game anymore because they often complete without the player specifically seeking it out. :s I personally felt that achievements should be something players should be proud of because they saw it as a goal and actually worked a bit more than usual to achieve it, instead of having it structured as a progressive handout (unless progressing is very very difficult).

What if varying amounts of reputation points—hypothesizing that it'd be the meter used for this achievement system—were distributed, proportional to the degree of difficulty and effort required for the task?

Illustrative example: 5 reputation points would be rewarded for capturing a Pikachu; 15 would be rewarded for evolving it; 50 would be rewarded for maximizing its level (to level 99). (They're vague examples; I'm sure more specific and refined ones could be discussed and fleshed out. )

Indeed, different tasks of different calibers will stipulate varying degrees of difficulty and effort, but allotting lower/higher amount of points for it can also reflect on it, reward the effort accordingly, and differentiate the more effortful tasks on their own tiers.

PhantomsCV

Creobis said:
What if varying amounts of reputation points—hypothesizing that it'd be the meter used for this achievement system—were distributed, proportional to the degree of difficulty and effort required for the task?

Illustrative example: 5 reputation points would be rewarded for capturing a Pikachu; 15 would be rewarded for evolving it; 50 would be rewarded for maximizing its level (to level 99). (They're vague examples; I'm sure more specific and refined ones could be discussed and fleshed out. )

Indeed, different tasks of different calibers will stipulate varying degrees of difficulty and effort, but allotting lower/higher amount of points for it can also reflect on it, reward the effort accordingly, and differentiate the more effortful tasks on their own tiers.

Indeed that is how it would work in my perfect world. They would range from 1-15 or so based on the difficulty of the task with the mainstay task giving enough points that you can move on and will help the player along.

SapphirePhoenix

Creobis said:

Yes, that would work beautifully! My concern was mainly naming/considering it an 'achievement' because the proposed change does things a bit differently than what I normally expect achievements to do. Calling it the name milestone, merit, or even leaving it at reputation points seems to give more of a progressional accomplishment feel that this idea emanates. (Of course this is just my opinion. I'd be fine with whatever it does end up being named if this is added to the game, which I hope it would be :) )