Rarrrr

thunderclap

Youngster
hu3mfp.jpg

This was not a misclick.. I didn't think the Wing Attack would kill him. Considering how weak my dragonite has been historically *shakes head*. And it doesn't show in the chat, but the whole time GrumpyOptimist was encouraging me to weaken its HP so I could catch it better. Never again..

Professor.Oak

Lowering pokemons HP hardly helps here, would of better to just keep spamming balls. :\

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
Might want to add some words to your post, thunderclap.

Algiers

Puar said:
thunderclap said:
This was not a misclick.. I didn't think the Wing Attack would kill him.
... words, read them

Pansy said:
Might want to add some words to your post, thunderclap.

Last edited by thunderclap on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My post came at 12:32 pm. (I have the wrong timezone set apparently, but that's beside the point.) More words for you to read?

root

I learn my lesson when I killed my duskull:

NEVER lower its HP, just span pokeballs.
It will eventually be caught.

Also always carry 900+ pokeballs with your at all times.
And some Potions wouldn't hurt as well.

Merse

Youngster
That's a very... interesting concept. I would say carry a low level Pokemon with you and lower the HP of the target as much as you can,. You cn spare hundreds of thousands by not wasting 50 Pokeballs on 1 Pokemon.

Garnet

You can use high level poke that knows poison and sleep powder. You can also bring kazam and use trick to help lower it's HP :p

CrimsonSapphire

Next time use leech seed. Rate to be caught will rise higher but its like a timebomb if you not catch it in time his dead :p

Merse

Youngster
Poison or leech seed... Yeah. And if you can't catch the Poke, you may watch as it slowly but surely dies... That would be a rather amateur way to try to catch a Pokemon.

SViper

Website
www.facebook.com
I remember my first mistakes at Dragon's Den, I killed my first Bagon and Dratini and reason of that is almost all Pokemon there is blue or looks like as blue ;D. Good luck with next one :).

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Merse said:
Poison or leech seed... Yeah. And if you can't catch the Poke, you may watch as it slowly but surely dies... That would be a rather amateur way to try to catch a Pokemon.

Unless you use the endgame tactic which is to hit it with a 100% hit status attack before it faints- such as thunder wave. hp depleting status gone, 'safe' status replaces it instead.

Algiers

HitmonFonty said:
Merse said:

Unless you use the endgame tactic which is to hit it with a 100% hit status attack before it faints- such as thunder wave. hp depleting status gone, 'safe' status replaces it instead.

I came into the thread just to post this. Anyway, while I'm here, I might as well say something... Merse, the question is not how much money you spare by damaging the Pokemon. It is how much time you spare by trying to catch it immediately vs. painstakingly lowering its HP then trying only when it's almost dead already. I can catch a VR in a hour or two and sell it for 100k, covering my Pokeball costs for hundreds, maybe even thousands of in-game hours. However, server crashes can strike anytime, and even when the servers are stable, battles have a bad tendency to freeze randomly, forcing you to relog and swear loudly as you realise that shiny rare you're fighting is never going to be in your party. Extensive testing would be required to reach a conclusion, but I think just going in with the Pokeballs from turn one still works better.

xebnotlaw

Wait, wait, wait. Sorry to be a bit of a noob here but are you saying that lowering HP doesn't play as much of a part in PWO, like it does in the actual Pokemon games?

So, I could just throw Pokeballs at whatever I wanted to catch in the hope it would get it eventually...?

Garnet

xebnotlaw said:
Wait, wait, wait. Sorry to be a bit of a noob here but are you saying that lowering HP doesn't play as much of a part in PWO, like it does in the actual Pokemon games?

So, I could just throw Pokeballs at whatever I wanted to catch in the hope it would get it eventually...?
Lowering HP does increase success rate. Like you already read in the post above. Though you can just spam pokeball without weakened it first, it's help if your target is dying before you try to catch it. Poison, sleep, and low damaging move helps a lot.

Maideza

In PWO, the help is at VERY low HP - and it's not a significant boost in chance. So, you are better off just spamming Pokéballs, rather than risk killing the Pokémon as you bring it to low HP

Merse

Youngster
HitmonFonty said:

Presuming of course that you happen to have a Poke with you which has a 100% effect chance status attack of course... :)

Algiers said:
Merse, the question is not how much money you spare by damaging the Pokemon. It is how much time you spare by trying to catch it immediately vs. painstakingly lowering its HP then trying only when it's almost dead already. I can catch a VR in a hour or two and sell it for 100k, covering my Pokeball costs for hundreds, maybe even thousands of in-game hours. However, server crashes can strike anytime, and even when the servers are stable, battles have a bad tendency to freeze randomly, forcing you to relog and swear loudly as you realise that shiny rare you're fighting is never going to be in your party. Extensive testing would be required to reach a conclusion, but I think just going in with the Pokeballs from turn one still works better.

I think if you hit it twice with a low level Pokemon then catch it with 5 balls is way faster than leaving it on max HP and spend 50 balls on it.

Algiers

Merse said:
HitmonFonty said:

Presuming of course that you happen to have a Poke with you which has a 100% effect chance status attack of course... :)

When you go hunt, you usually go ONLY to hunt, therefore there's no problem with bringing a set of pokes who do whatever you want - a Parasect for status effects, a ghost to prevent Pokes from using Selfdestruct...

Merse said:
I think if you hit it twice with a low level Pokemon then catch it with 5 balls is way faster than leaving it on max HP and spend 50 balls on it.

That is, if two hits will do anywhere near enough damage. Usually, if I suspect a move is damaging enough to reduce the enemy's HP quickly, I don't risk using it.