Question about leveling

HeavyPetter

I came to think about something while leveling my pokemon: Most PWO players know that if one gets enough experience at let's say level 48, to increase by two levels, one will not increase to 50 directly, but rather first to 49 and then to 50 by battling two consecutive pokemon. This may happen in the same NPC combat though, so a pokémon can be carried from level 48 to level 50 by just one combat. Now, if this situation occurs at level 98, will the pokémon level past 99 to 100? (That is to say, while in combat against an NPC, if a level 99 pokemon has more exp than required to reach level 100, will it do so?) Has anyone tried this?

kurtisbmx

What you saying is impossible as you would require a extremely large amount in battle in some case 2 million + exp .

Lets say you get that much exp in one battle (impossible) if would go to l l 99 and Ll other exp would disappear due to the l l cap of 99 there is no know way past the lvl cap that is know possible.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Theoretically speaking, I would say it is impossible. As many of us are aware, at level 99, any experience gained thereon halts at a complete roadblock. Although it is possible to gain a surplus of experience when reaching level 99, more than the experience to level 100 would be required, as soon as the Pokemon battles under that newly gained level, any experience points earned afterwards will cease to be added to the Pokemon's total level, even if it battles 2 consecutive Pokemon in the same NPC battle.

I have not had the opportunity to try this out myself, but as we know, Pokemon can only level once per experience gained, and technically no experience can be gained at that point to actuate the level increase.

kurtisbmx said:
What you saying is impossible as you would require a extremely large amount in battle in some case 2 million + exp .

Mathematically speaking, given our resources, it actually is possible to gain a surplus of experience at that level, depending on the Pokemon used, and the Pokemon it is matched up against. For Pokemon with smaller experience bases, less experience is required to level up.

Let's take a look at the Pokemon with the smallest experience base value in the game, Magikarp. It requires just a tad over 247k exp to jump from level 99 to level 100, and if it defeats a high level NPC Pokemon with deficient AI during the battle, perhaps with membership bonuses, it might be possible for it to achieve that much experience in one battle.

Sure, the premise of my theory is pretty darn coincidental and can be argued as a fluke, but I just wanted to substantiate that it is in-fact possible in some way to gain a surplus of experience at that level.

HeavyPetter

kurtisbmx said:

Lets say you get that much exp in one battle (impossible) if would go to l l 99 and Ll other exp would disappear due to the l l cap of 99 there is no know way past the lvl cap that is know possible.

It's easy to gets tens of millions of exp on a low level magikarp by dual or triple explosion-leveling in clairs gym: just put magikarp first in your team, switch to electrode/weezing/golem against a level 91 dragonair or something, then weaken it and finally explode. Magikarp is rewarded as defeating the dragonair itself thus gaining tonnes and tonnes of exp points. This will gain it more points than required to reach level 100 if efficiently repeated at low levels, so its definitely possible to aquire the sufficient exp, i just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Note that this is not a bug, but rather a feature of the experience-system. As i recall this method worked well in the handhelds too, at least the early ones like red and blue. I think i will try this with a level 2 pidgey next time clairs gym opens up for me to verify/disprove this hypothesis.

EDIT: By the way Creobis, Magikarp would need a bit more than 700k exp from 99 to 100, requiring a bit more than 1m additional exp at level 98 for the idea to work

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
HeavyPetter said:
kurtisbmx said:

It's easy to gets tens of millions of exp on a low level magikarp by dual or triple explosion-leveling in clairs gym: just put magikarp first in your team, switch to electrode/weezing/golem against a level 91 dragonair or something, then weaken it and finally explode. Magikarp is rewarded as defeating the dragonair itself thus gaining tonnes and tonnes of exp points. This will gain it more points than required to reach level 100 if efficiently repeated at low levels, so its definitely possible to aquire the sufficient exp, i just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Note that this is not a bug, but rather a feature of the experience-system. As i recall this method worked well in the handhelds too, at least the early ones like red and blue. I think i will try this with a level 2 pidgey next time clairs gym opens up for me to verify/disprove this hypothesis.

Hate to disagree with you, but I'm going to anyway. You ARE in fact describing an exploit which has since been fixed. Yes if you use the expolosion method as it is used in the handhelds you will get a lot of experience for your low level pokemon, but it should not be 'tens of millions'. That kind of experience gain is off the charts and should be reported if it is still happening- and not spread around as is clearly stated in the new set of rules. (So report it privately by sending a forum PM to a GM preferably.)

In answer to the first post I would just repeat what Creobis has already said. Even if you did manage to get enough XP to go beyond level 99 you still need to gain XP in battle to go up a level. And a level 99 pokemon can NOT gain XP, so it should not be able to level up no matter how much excess it has.

HeavyPetter

Well, to clarify: This is unrelated to the exploit where one could gain the experience of "defeating" ones own pokemon which was possible a few months ago (The explosion exploit referred to above). This is just an easier way to kill a very high level pokemon with a very low level pokemon and getting the proper exp for that battle. Tens of millions may have been a bit exaggerated, but let's say that you start with a pidgey at level 2, defeating a level 91 or 92 dragonair/seadra or charizard when you yourself is level 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,and 10, which would be possible just by going through clairs gym. I think that will at least gain a few million, possibly more than required for the potential level 100.

Anyway: this answers my original question, so thank you for your input :)
HitmonFonty said:
In answer to the first post I would just repeat what Creobis has already said. Even if you did manage to get enough XP to go beyond level 99 you still need to gain XP in battle to go up a level. And a level 99 pokemon can NOT gain XP, so it should not be able to level up no matter how much excess it has.

By the way, on a matter related to the above post: I disagree quite strongly with the fact that bugs should be kept secret from the general public. This is a beta game after all, and the purpose of beta testing players is to test bugs and report their findings. This is made much more effective if everyone has access to all information about all bugs that have been observed. Using the "beta" label only as a means to dispose of players who ask questions about why things are progressing slowly seems quite ineffective, and even a bit dishonest.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
HeavyPetter said:
Well, to clarify: This is unrelated to the exploit where one could gain the experience of "defeating" ones own pokemon which was possible a few months ago (The explosion exploit referred to above). This is just an easier way to kill a very high level pokemon with a very low level pokemon and getting the proper exp for that battle. Tens of millions may have been a bit exaggerated, but let's say that you start with a pidgey at level 2, defeating a level 91 or 92 dragonair/seadra or charizard when you yourself is level 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,and 10, which would be possible just by going through clairs gym. I think that will at least gain a few million, possibly more than required for the potential level 100.

Anyway: this answers my original question, so thank you for your input :)
HitmonFonty said:

By the way, on a matter related to the above post: I disagree quite strongly with the fact that bugs should be kept secret from the general public. This is a beta game after all, and the purpose of beta testing players is to test bugs and report their findings. This is made much more effective if everyone has access to all information about all bugs that have been observed. Using the "beta" label only as a means to dispose of players who ask questions about why things are progressing slowly seems quite ineffective, and even a bit dishonest.

There is an obvious difference between posting about common glitches which aren't exploitable- for example the random glitch which causes pokemon to appear shiny when you have a shiny pokemon in front. It's an annoying glitch and the more people report it the more chance we can find a common reason for it and maybe a solution.

A glitch which is repeatable and can bring your pokemon from level 5 to max level in one battle is NOT the same thing. It is a glitch many people wouldn't test for the sake of testing it, they would exploit it for the sake of easy leveling. Exploiting glitches like that can easily damage the game, not only giving unfair advantage to those who use it but also causing problems with the server coding from what I understand and crashes.

The rule is a fair one and I don't have any idea why you would consider it dishonest. If the reports are made they will be dealt with asap so it would not effect game progresson, why would it be a problem to make those reports to a GM instead of on the forums where everyone can see them?

HeavyPetter

This topic seems to have strayed a bit from its original path, but for the sake of an ínteresting argument I will stay with it for a while ;).

I think I can answer the question you pose in your post simply by adressing this sentence:
HitmonFonty said:
they would exploit it for the sake of easy leveling.

Why is it a problem if people exploit a potential bug like that? All right, if it crashes the server as you say it may be a bit inconvenient, but it shouldn't be considered a problem in itself. The term 'dishonest' that I used is perhaps not exactly the word I'm looking for, but to be more precise: it was not the rule itself that I questioned. It was rather the practice of labeling the game as a beta but only actually using that label to excuse problems. In my mind, a beta is not meant to be "played for real" if you see where I'm trying to go with that formulation, so if people want to exploit bugs, let them do so. Any argument about it hurting "the economy of the game" or players getting "unfair advantages" should not matter since if they are truly beta testers, people shouldn't be assigning value to things they obtain in the game. They should be aware of the fact that the database is often wiped and no progress is saved for an extended period of time anyway. Now I'm not saying that I want this to happen, I like the game as it is now, I only tried to explain my use of the word dishonest.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
There is no question we are beta testers, but this is no ordinary beta test either. We are able to play the game without the threat of data wipes over our heads and I think that is because the designers always recognised that this would be a very long term project and that was the best way to 'reward' us beta testers for ongoing support.

I don't see it as a reason to exploit bugs, and I think you'd have a hard time convincing anyone heavily involved with this game that it is in any way a good idea. I guess the fact that you- and I assume others too- do have this conception of beta testing is why that rule is explicitly needed in the ruleset.

HeavyPetter

All right, fair enough :), I will of course abide by the rules even if I would happen not to always agree with them, and if it wasn't clear from the earlier posts I am very happy to be rewarded for my efforts in terms of having my data saved.

I do agree that PWO is not really a usual beta project. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.