pwo-esp.co.cc?

leptoon

Website
syndistep.net
When I visit some threads here on the PWO forum, my antivirus pops up and says it blocked an unsafe image from pwo-esp.co.cc. Is that your sister site or should we be worried?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Many antiviruses now will detect and block connections from a large list of domains that end in .co.cc; because .co.cc is a free domain service (though they are not actually domains) that does not restrict on content hosted using it; and thus it's commonly used for phishing scams, virus distribution as so on - roughly 90% of the sites hosted there are illegitimate. However .co.cc can also be used for image hosting services, legitimate websites and other things. Their poor reputation, however, is cited as reason for paranoia; and is also the reason why .co.cc sites are now banned in Google Search results.

If someone has copied content such as an image from a .co.cc site and posted it on another site; and someone with a paranoid antivirus visited the site it was posted to, the antivirus may notice that a connection to .co.cc is being made in order to fetch the image; and warn against or block it even though you're not on the .co.cc site itself. This is done "for your safety and security"; and there will usually be options to change the behaviour in the program itself.

leptoon

Website
syndistep.net
Thank you for the informative response Jinji.

Aaron, you should suggest to the owner of the website that he purchase a top-level-domain name such as .COM or .ORG. Not only is that better for organic search results, but it is also much more trust worthy.

Seth

leptoon said:
Thank you for the informative response Jinji.

Aaron, you should suggest to the owner of the website that he purchase a top-level-domain name such as .COM or .ORG. Not only is that better for organic search results, but it is also much more trust worthy.
Not many people go to the site regardless as it's a PWO fan site.
So only PWO members will go there, not really needing a .com or .org domain name. Especially since he probably doesn't have the cash for it hence getting the domain name to begin with.

As a fan site and only members are interested in getting there, SEO isn't a factor for it.

However, I'd love to blast pokemonworldonline.net with my copy of xRumer, driving hundreds of people to it. I'm contemplating promoting it myself once they get a more stable server.

leptoon

Website
syndistep.net
Domains are hella cheap but w/e.

@Seth, pokemonworldonline.net already has almost 1,700 inlinks according to Yahoo Site Explorer. I guess a few more wouldn't hurt though. The server is as stable as it's gonna be for quite some time. In order to make it more stable, they'd have to completely recode it from scratch and they're concentrating on making the game more complete before they do that. You'll prolly be looking at a time-frame sometime between late 2012 and first half of 2013 (IMO).