PvP: Physical-Special Comparison.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Inspired from a relatively recent in-game discussion about the PvP scene, it has begged the question to me which side of the spectrum is more dominant in the PvP scene: physical or special-based moves, and how so? Specific examples of prevalent Pokemon and move trends, deployed in the PvP scene, are explanatory on how physical or special-based moves may be more dominant.

Furthermore—regarding the more predominantly-used type property—do you believe there is imbalance with the amount of physical/special-based moves deployed in PvP, and why? Common Pokemon-matchup trends, TMs, battle-system mechanics (ex: boosting), and so forth are all citable examples.

Disclaimer: I intently made this topic for a more discussional/informational nature, and can not promise that will lead into any changes or reassments regarding the battle system in the near future—I created this topic out of my own curiosity, without discussing it with the rest of the staff, hoping to carry over this discussion on the forums, where it's better kept on record. This discussion may give more insight to the staff member(s) it may concern, but I can't promise any outcome aside from that.

HOF69

Despite the recent rise to power of Metagross and Arcanine, which are arguably the top two physical battlers in PWO right now, I would say that the PWO battling scene is dominated more by special battlers and moves. The reason for this is quite simple: of the 9 TMs introduced so far, only one (Dragon Claw) has been physical. This has led to an imbalance in the number of physical and special battlers and moves used. Furthermore, in order to counter the common Pokemon using these special attacks, there is a limited pool of battlers that can be used. In my opinion, the next handful of TMs need to be physical in order to restore some balance.