Power to the Players?

00Gungeon

Do we have a vote system on the forums?
It'll be fun and cool to see what updates the staff makes or will make. But how about let the players chose which update to go through?

Why we need this?
-It could be easier to see results of an update happening.
-Players can actually vote now instead of spamming threads.
-Theres more to it than you know it.
-There are somethings we don't want, and some things we want in the game. Remember those weekend events, well most of them weren't fun. At least we got our bonus membership days. I was expecting to save a legendary pokemon or something like that.

Examples:
-Staff shows off screenshot or thread of an update. Could be major or minor, but still an update on whats going to change ingame. Or it could be an upcoming event that has not just one event but more event ideas. At the very bottom we should have a vote button on the different things that might happen. (you could add like button too smh)

Optional Features:
-How about adding a giant signpost in the major cities where players ingame can go to vote just by clicking options. Remember the client loading notification, it could say go vote now!(If there is updates coming go vote)

That's all for now. This is just an idea from me to the staffs of PWO, so comment, let me see what your thinking, don't be shy to hate. I'm gonna be honest this took time to think it through. :p

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
phpBB DOES support a voting system; and it has been used frequently by both players and Staff across the Forum.

The idea of in-game polls I can't say I'd thought about before, though I can't speak for other Staff. It's doable, but I'm not sure about how efficient it would be.

Nikola

Youngster
Phpbb voting system appears to have a lack of very crucial elements such as IP restrictions and post count restriction in order to avoid bad votes or biased ones. This is partially solvable by implementing say post count limit to reduce bad votes assuming you don't want to restrict say family relatives and so on who might be using same IP address.

Code:
if ($user->data['user_posts'] < 69)
{
   trigger_error('You are a new user and as such you are not allowed to vote. Please come back when you get at least 69 posts.');
}
Code:
foreach ($voted_id as $option)
      {
         if (in_array($option, $cur_voted_id))
         {
            continue;
         }

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Actually, a Post Count restriction on voting would be easy to implement through effective use of the Newly-Registered User group. However, I will admit this doesn't offer the fine-grained control of your suggested modification. Here on the PWO Forum, however, we are looking to avoid modifying core Forum concepts where possible, to prevent compatibility issues further down the line.

Nikola

Youngster
If you know what are you doing, there wont be any issues and Phpbb is open source software. You can amend it anytime based on your needs and liking and possibilities are huge.

Problem is here is that people who just registers are in Registered User group, not in New registered Users group. If they are NRU to begin with then you wouldn't need any modifications since you can make said group to auto-promote to RU with certain number of posts where NRU is not able to vote while RU is. However, in case you plan you adding NRU you will need to resynchronise every user group based on their post count. You will be resynchronising only two groups here, RU and NRU. Do they fall into NRU or RU group that is what the script will do based on the criteria you previously set. There is a official phpbb tool called STK that can do that for you as doing queries is not recommended for forums. That is how you can make older accounts to go in the group where they belong if the system change will take place.

I personally, don't give people instant access, not before they do certain things before they get auto-promoted to RU. This is to prevent spam, trolling and many other things as I point people to a social direction before they do their next step. There is no need for someone to instantly post novel about bad updates, nudity and other bias based threads before they did other steps, such as getting to know each others or actually logged into the game which if far more effective than trolling and so on. That direct system is not practical in my terms of being practical due to lack of control over new users. That being said, I don't recommend RU group as a default group to begin with.