Pokemon Movesets

S

Sheikaih

I've noticed different pokemon seem to have movesets from different generations. For example, mareep seems to be from generation 2, growlithe from 3, and vulpix from the most recent. As you may expect, this gives some pokemon quite the edge on others (for example, it seems ampharos has access to only thunder as a truly powerful move, whereas a ninetails has access to a large variety of powerful abilities). I noticed because I'm currently deciding between an arcanine and ninetails, and my initial choice would be arcanine - however ninetails' moveset includes moves from the last generation which are more powerful than the ones arcanine had access to in generation 3.

Is it because not all moves are implemented in the game, so some movesets couldn't be fully added? That would seem odd to me, since so many moves just don't work properly already, so it seems getting the coding right isn't an obstacle for inclusion of abilities.

Seth

Pokemon 1-40 (or 50, i don't remember) are 5th gen movesets, Pokemon 152 - 192 (or 202, once again, my bad) are also 5th gen movesets. This began as an update project which is in the works of being completed.

The rest are 3rd gen movesets with the exception of Spiritomb and Snover/Abomasnow as they are 4th gen pokemon.

King

Sheikaih said:
I've noticed different pokemon seem to have movesets from different generations. For example, mareep seems to be from generation 2, growlithe from 3, and vulpix from the most recent. As you may expect, this gives some pokemon quite the edge on others (for example, it seems ampharos has access to only thunder as a truly powerful move, whereas a ninetails has access to a large variety of powerful abilities). I noticed because I'm currently deciding between an arcanine and ninetails, and my initial choice would be arcanine - however ninetails' moveset includes moves from the last generation which are more powerful than the ones arcanine had access to in generation 3.

Is it because not all moves are implemented in the game, so some movesets couldn't be fully added? That would seem odd to me, since so many moves just don't work properly already, so it seems getting the coding right isn't an obstacle for inclusion of abilities.
they were updating pokemon movesets to gen 5 a while ago, so few pokes got there moves updated.

S

Sheikaih

Ahh, I see. What happens to high level pokemon who get their moves updated? Do you have to get a new one and level it up to get the new moves?

Saric

Youngster
Seth said:
Pokemon 1-40 (or 50, i don't remember) are 5th gen movesets, Pokemon 152 - 192 (or 202, once again, my bad) are also 5th gen movesets. This began as an update project which is in the works of being completed.

The rest are 3rd gen movesets with the exception of Spiritomb and Snover/Abomasnow as they are 4th gen pokemon.
Unless the latter has been updated otherwise, it's pokemon 152-180..not 192 or 202.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Also Snorlax seems to have been randomly updated in the last week. Nice for some of us. :)

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
HitmonFonty said:
Also Snorlax seems to have been randomly updated in the last week. Nice for some of us. :)
It was actually two weeks ago; but you're welcome :)

King

wish you can update other pokemon moves aswell jinji.

SViper

Website
www.facebook.com
Jinji if you say how to do that, what use, I can ask them my friends help for PWO. They NoLifers how I and study about computers.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
If it were possible to offer to the Players the ability to help out with updating the movesets, I would have done so already. Short explanation is that it involves database editing.

King

narutofoxLT said:
I see. You want help or not?
guess you didn't understand what he said. modifying pokemon moves need database editing which only people having access to database can (admins and devs ). so your friends needs to be given database access for him to edit moves which wont be happening.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
What would be useful is if I could have a list of the moves every Pokémon learns and at what level; so that I can easily check them without having to flip through pages of guides or online articles as I have to now - the more I can stay on the database screen, the quicker it'd be to do. Of course, it's still going to take a long time to update each Pokémon one-by-one; and if some of the moves don't yet exist in the game, I'll have to create them, which will take even more time (I believe we have most of the moves that exist up to date, but we may still be missing a few newer moves here and there). But we'll get there eventually.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Something like this JJ?

If this helps you I'm happy to do them as you require them. I got them from serebii, and added info on the moves I was unsure were used in PWO before.

(all double checked so should be good to go as is)

zubat 41
Attacks Level
Leech Life Knows Instinctivly
Supersonic 5
Astonish 9
Bite 13
Wing Attack 17
Confuse Ray 21
Air Cutter 25
Mean Look 29
acrobatics      33 (fly 55/100)
Poison Fang 37
Haze 41
Air Slash  45 (fly 75/95 +flinch chance)

Golbat 42
Attacks Level
Screech Knows Instinctively
Leech Life Knows Instinctively
Supersonic Knows Instinctively
Astonish  Knows Instinctively
Supersonic 5
Astonish 9
Bite 13
Wing Attack 17
Confuse Ray 21
Air Cutter 27 (fly 55/95 +crit%)
Mean Look 33
Acrobatics 39 (fly 55/100)
Poison Fang 45
Haze 51
Air Slash 57 (fly 75/95 +flinch%)

Oddish 43
Attacks Level
Absorb Knows Instinctivly
Sweet Scent 5
Acid 9
Poisonpowder 13
Stun Spore 15
Sleep Powder 17
Mega Drain 21
Lucky Chant 25 (Broken Move)
Natural Gift 29 (Broken Move)
Moonlight 33
Giga Drain 37
Petal Dance 41

Gloom 44
Attacks Level
Absorb Knows Instinctively
Sweet Scent Knows Instinctively
Acid Knows Instinctively
Sweet Scent 5
Acid 9
PoisonPowder 13
Stun Spore 15
Sleep Powder 17
Mega Drain 23
Lucky Chant 29 (Broken Move)
Natural Gift 35 (Broken Move)
Moonlight 41
Giga Drain 47
Petal Dance 53

Vileplume 45
Attacks Level
Mega Drain Knows Instinctively
Aromatherapy Knows Instinctively
Stun Spore Knows Instinctively
Poisonpowder Knows Instinctively
Petal Dance 53
Solar Beam 65

Paras 46
Attacks Level
Scratch Knows Instinctively
Stun Spore 6
Poisonpowder 6
Leech Life 11
Fury Cutter 17
Spore 22
Slash 27
Growth 33
Giga Drain  38
Aromatherapy 43
Rage Powder 49 (Broken Move)
X-Scissor 54

Parasect 47
Attacks Level
Cross Poison  Knows Instinctively (poison 70/100 10% chance poison effect)
Stun Spore Knows Instinctively
Poisonpowder Knows Instinctively
Leech Life Knows Instinctively
Stun Spore 6
Poison Powder 6
Leech Life 11
Fury Cutter 17
Spore 22
Slash 29
Growth 37
Giga Drain 44
Aromatherapy 51
Rage Powder 59 (Broken Move)
X-Scissor 66

Venonat 48
Attacks Level
Tackle Knows Instinctively
Disable Knows Instinctively
Foresight Knows Instinctively
Supersonic 5
Confusion    11
Poisonpowder 13
Leech Life     17
Stun Spore 23
Psybeam 25
Sleep Powder 29
Signal Bean 35 (Bug 75/100 %confuse effect)
Zen Headbutt 37 (Psychic 80/90 %flinch effect)
Poison Fang 41
Psychic 47

Venemoth 49
Silver Wind  Knows Instinctively
Tackle Knows Instinctively
Disable Knows Instinctively
Foresight  Knows Instinctively
Supersonic Knows Instinctively
Supersonic 5
Confusion 11
Poisonpowder 13
Leech Life 17
Stun Spore 23
Psybeam 25
Sleep Powder 29
Gust 31
Signal Bean 37 (Bug 75/100 %confuse effect)
Zen Headbutt 41 (Psychic 80/90 %flinch effect)
Poison Fang 47
Psychic 55
Bug Buzz 59
Quiver Dance 63 (Bug: Boosts sp. att/sp. def/speed)

Diglett 50
Attacks Level
Sand-Attack Knows Instinctively
Growl 4
Astonish 7
Mud-slap 12
Magnitude 15
Bulldoze 18 (Ground 60/100 +reduces speed of hit pokemon)
Sucker Punch 23 (Dark 80/100 fails if opponent is attacking that turn)
Mud Bomb 26
Earth Power 29
Dig 34
Slash 37
Earthquake 40
Fissure 45

Dugtrio 51
Attacks Level
Night Slash Knows Instinctively (Dark 70/100)
Tri-attack Knows Instinctively
Sand-attack Knows Instinctively
Growl Knows Instinctively
Growl 4
Astonish 7
Mud-slap 12
Magnitude 15
Bulldoze 18  (Ground 60/100 +reduces speed of hit pokemon)
Sucker Punch 23  (Dark 80/100 fails if opponent is attacking that turn)
Sand Tomb 26
Mud Bomb 28
Earth Power 33
Dig 40
Slash 45
Earthquake 50
Fissure 57

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
That's exactly the kind of clear list I was looking for. Thanks, Hitmon.

I wish we still had a list of which ones had actually been done by me and Crenel up until now... it was lost in the Forum wipe a little while ago and I stupidly didn't think to keep a backup.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Well I have been told that it was up to number 40 for Kanto for a while now. So I started off loading the movesets from the playerdex- Wigglytuff seems to have the same moveset for gen 3 and 5 but Jigglypuff has been updated in the playerdex pokedex to gen 5. zubat hasn't so I started from there. I'm happy to do the same thing for johto pokes if it's going to be used as well.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Back when the two of us were actively working on this project, Crenel was fixing the Johto Pokémon's move-sets while I did Kanto... or it might have been the other way around, I can't remember now. But yeah, there's been work on the Johto Pokémon's move-sets as well and I don't see why they can't also be updated. I'm pretty sure the Staff would like to see every Pokémon's sets updated eventually.