Pokemon Money Drops

T3chNick

Just started the game and I noticed that unlike the handhelds this game drops money from wild pokemon. Why is this the case? Wouldn't it be more logical for them to drop other things, like items specific to the pokemon like in other handhelds? Maybe for example caterpie would drop silk string that you could sell to an npc.

Naero

Due to the lack of variety of items in PWO currently, as well as the inability to sell items for one moneymaking method (among the lack of other viable moneymaking methods), pokemoney drops were added to Pokemon to provide some obtainable source of pokemoney early on. Although this was not featured in the handheld games, the concept of looting money from any form of a battleable spawn is a practical, and reproducible, method of moneymaking in various MMORPGs - unprecedented features in the handheld games may still be added to an MMO interpretation of the franchise to better suit an MMO environment, and this is considered one of the more technically feasible moneymaking methods.

Furthermore, the functions of various items are not supported/compatible with PWO's mechanics at this time, thus the addition of many items in game has been omitted as they would serve no use currently. The main items that have been supported at this time are: Pokeballs (regular only), healing items, evolution items, and items that are required for the progression of a quest/travel (badges, to name one). However, some of these available items have been made as Pokemon drops, somewhat specific to a Pokemon; for example, a Metal Coat is dropped by Magnemites.

T3chNick

Naero said:
Due to the lack of variety of items in PWO currently, as well as the inability to sell items for one moneymaking method.

Furthermore, the functions of various items are not supported/compatible with PWO's mechanics at this time, thus the addition of many items in game has been omitted as they would serve no use currently. The main items that have been supported at this time are: Pokeballs (regular only), healing items, evolution items, and items that are required for the progression of a quest/travel (badges, to name one). However, some of these available items have been made as Pokemon drops, somewhat specific to a Pokemon; for example, a Metal Coat is dropped by Magnemites.
I assume that P.W.O would have the ability for NPCs to be able to buy items from players. I find it would be better if pokemon would make items drops, even if the item itself doesn't have a function other than for a quest purpose, then turn those items in to NPCs.

I think the grinding would be less tedious, unless it gets easier as the game progresses but that's usually the opposite of most games I know of. At the same time you would have to pay more attention to the battle because you would be on the lookout for what your loot is and not just expect the loot that's the same every single time.

Reading another topic about the Economy, it seems like their is an issue with the flow and balance of money, and I believe switching to an item loot system would help control this. Either the developers can then adjust the prices for items, how often the items drop, or even who can pick up what items.

Merse

Youngster
Switching money to item loot wouldn't change anything at all. We still would kill a lot of Pokemon, we would sell the items we bought so the money flow wouldn't change only the method how you get it would be far more annoying.

T3chNick

Merse said:
Switching money to item loot wouldn't change anything at all. We still would kill a lot of Pokemon, we would sell the items we bought so the money flow wouldn't change only the method how you get it would be far more annoying.
You would pay more attention to each and every battle looking for a specific money drop. The flow of money could be different than what it currently is. You could control who is able to get what item.

The core idea is the same, kill pokemon, get money. It's the subtle things that could change however.

What if after each battle you are given a popup with 3 different items and you have to pick one? Now you are having to make decisions to what item you should be picking. Instead of pokemon --> kill --> hunt --> pokemon --> kill --> hunt, it would be pokemon --> kill --> pick --> hunt --> pokemon --> kill --> pick --> cash items.

Merse

Youngster
I would be pretty annoyed. First because why have every Pokemon a general store with it. Second because I have to click on those damn items and I can't continue hunting what I want. Third because even if there would be any item I would want it's just another chance to click the wrong button and lose it forever. It's more than enough fro shiny and HRs that you can accidentally kill/run if you don't pay attention.

CoolKnightST

I don't think pokémons should drop items add all. Items should be hold by pokémon rather than drop them. So in order to get the item you will have to catch him. I think currently the money system is perfect. Now you simply get money when you are training. Isn't this an rewards or not? I also think this will prevent G.E. sort systems. We don't need items that has as only function sell it for money. No, they should not focus on drops for pokémon. Take the money and go to the next one. An classic training way that works so far.

InvisibleMonsters

CoolKnightST said:
I don't think pokémons should drop items add all. Items should be hold by pokémon rather than drop them. So in order to get the item you will have to catch him. I think currently the money system is perfect. Now you simply get money when you are training. Isn't this an rewards or not? I also think this will prevent G.E. sort systems. We don't need items that has as only function sell it for money. No, they should not focus on drops for pokémon. Take the money and go to the next one. An classic training way that works so far.

i don't agree with you on how pokemon should hold items so we have to catch them. with how hard it is to get money and a decent amount of money if you don't have anything to sell, continuing to buy pokeballs to catch a pokemon for a dragon scale or a metal coat, etc. is just a waste of money. since we all know it will take a few times to get the item (plus multiple pokeballs each time) it will cost a good amount of money, especially if your luck is bad. how it is now is fine because you can train off those pokemon + maybe get the item + get some money. maybe if money was easier to obtain, it would be fine to have a pokemon hold the item and you have to catch them to get it but as of now, no, not a good idea.