Playerdex app?

moonfish

I know you're short handed on front end developers, but I wanted to coin this idea regardless. A Playerdex phone app would be a great way for people to keep the game close when they leave home.

Personally, I'd use it to check server status (possibly with push messages for when it comes back online), and for token purchases through the app store. I'm sure there are many other potential uses and merits, but I'm not in a guild, nor am I in the development team for the new playerdex.

Not saying an app should have the same functionalities as the online playerdex. Only features that you'd want to take with you, or that are exclusive to mobile devices, should have a place in such an app (initially).

Tecknician

A mobile version of the website itself would be possible (AKA website version accessed via internet browser targeted for mobile devices).

Also, there is only a single person working on the playerdex website, not a "Team"

TheWyatt2012

Tecknician said:
A mobile version of the website itself would be possible (AKA website version accessed via internet browser targeted for mobile devices).

Also, there is only a single person working on the playerdex website, not a "Team"

Wouldn't there be issues with Nintendo, though? I've heard that's one reason why nothing mobile based has been developed.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Not for a simple no-frills website app. This is basically the same as an internet shortcut - the equivalent of placing a shortcut to the page on your computer's desktop. You can't really make a legal claim against that.

Tecknician

I was not talking about an app btw. If you go to facebook.com via safari browser for iphone for example you will see a different webpage than using a computer. When you go to facebook.com on a mobile device it will then ask you if you do want to download the facebook app as you are not using a facebook app to access the page/content.

In most language there are functions to determine the users screen size, from there you can send them the proper L&F. I believe there is a function in php that can also determine the operating system, and at very least the internet browser.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
If JavaScript can do all you've mentioned, Teck, then I'm certain an even more powerful language such as PHP can as well.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
JQuery definitely can do at least some of that since I'm currently doing an assignment on this very thing :p If you just wanted a phone version of the website then it wouldn't be too hard to make a cut down version of it, a mobile Playerdex would be harder simply due to the amount of content that wouldn't really be suitable for a mobile device. That would just be for a website version though, making an app would be straight up ruled out on iOS for obvious reasons, on android it would be possible but then you would need someone to who could make the app and thats without me knowing where that would stand with Nintendo (though it would more than likely be a non-issue depending on the content ofc).

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
A mobile version or app (unlikely for a long time) may be considered in the future.

All I can really see people wanting to do is checking the server status which can already be done on mobile (I do it!).

moonfish

It's been said already, but this isn't about an app for the game. It's just for the playerdex.

A mobile version of a website can't send push notifications, nor can it support token purchases through the app store or android market.
Without those features, I don't see how this idea would ever add to the game experience.

Guild chat would be a third feature with large potential. Or checking which friends are currently online. Or chatting/sending messages with people on your friend list.

mad30

Youngster
Why would you need push notifications? And you can make PayPal donations via a mobile website. App store and android market has nothing to do with an Internet browser (amazon.com for example you can make purchases that has nothing to do with app store and android market)

Here what I would do for a mobile version o playerdex:
Mart system
Guild controls
Trainer info

Anything else is unneeded.

CoolKnightST

Php is the best way to do it however most things are possible with html and jquery. When it goes to application is can be done but not for the legal apple store. So in that case it's beter to keep it with an mobile version of it. Just make sure all touch is supported and the scroll system works properly without selecting 100 other things. I gues for most things you only need adobe dreamwave if your to lazy to PHP it yourselfs. Else manual code the things wouldn't cost that lot of time. An default advance site can be code in about 10 hours (including coding and design). Make only sure you support it for all devices, I nowtest that recently an lot of new sites don't support GEN II apple devices and generation 1 adroide touch anymore. If currently only 1 staff member works on the site you beter should hire one more. He could directly do some work on the wikia and the site security. I also nowtest that the site itself isn't that protected against dos attacks. Nintendo can easy shut the site down without less effort.