Patch System

Nightmare!

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I just want to give a suggestion. There are always some updates that players really want and most of the times there's a need to update the client. How about if the client checks all the games files through the server and it download any new content instead of having to download a new client every time there's a update (sort of a patch system) . It can even have a feature where the whole client can be reinstalled if there's a problem with the game files. This way more updates can be implemented faster. I know it would require some coding but I think the effort worths it.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
nightmarerealm said:
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I just want to give a suggestion. There are always some updates that players really want and most of the times there's a need to update the client. How about if the client checks all the games files through the server and it download any new content instead of having to download a new client every time there's a update (sort of a patch system) . It can even have a feature where the whole client can be reinstalled if there's a problem with the game files. This way more updates can be implemented faster. I know it would require some coding but I think the effort worths it.

There used to be an Updater but it was disabled or removed due to some problems I don't recall. The Dev with the source code is no longer active here though and we're stuck with what we have until the new client has been built.

Krowe

I'm certain that this style of feature will return with the launch of the new client. PWO used to have a pre-launch auto-updater, similar to other games, a few years ago. Changes in the development team phased this feature out, but that is more due to circumstance than choice.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
There has been some interest in future clients also including a Launcher-type system for news and updates, which might also include a patcher - however it likely won't be given discussion priority until such time as a new client is close to releasable state.

There HAVE been two attempts in the past to create an auto-updater for PWO. Both were found to have failings - the first was unreliable and had no error correction; the second fell down when the client was redeveloped for the current 1.7/1.8 branch and included files the Autoupdater was not aware of, thus resulting in incomplete patches. I can go into further detail technically about both, but I won't right now. It's generally agreed that if PWO WERE to include a patcher or auto-updater in future, a system would need to be visualised that was reliable and self-correctable.