Neg EXP Clarification

ash.catchem

Youngster
I want to clarify something and also want myself to be clarified..

I see many Staffs telling that neg exp is a visual error and if for eg, charmeleon evolved at lvl 16 has -15162/5129 then it means equivalent to 0/20291.

So this explanation seems wrong to me as then at next lvl i.e. from 17 to 18 it should need more exp than 20291 to level up while it is not the case, it needs just 5811 exp to go to lvl 18..
So this explanation goess wrong here as how can exp needed gets decreased as lvl increases.

My explanation to neg exp is as follows:
According to chart shown on PWO wiki, Levelling Chart for every pokemon..
For Charmander, as soon as it crosses lvl 15 it has total 9010exp and then evolves to charmeleon, which at lvl 16 should has exp 24172, while the current charmander which evolved to charmeleon does not have that exp, so the left exp is seen as neg exp i.e. neg exp=24172-9010=15162, which is needed to make charmeleon's exp equal to what it should be.. and then after that it needed extra 5129 exp to level up to 17.
In server code there might be error in handling with those exps, and it might take the old exp which is coming right from earlier evos and does not changes automatically to new one of evos, if it automatically adds the exp (here 15162 for charmeleon) difference of two pokemons at that level then this case might be solved and then we should not have to train those extra 15162 exp to charmeleon.

thank you for reading my views, ^-^
Tell me if I am Wrong with this explanation of negative exp..!!

HeavyPetter

Your explanation of negative experience is correct. However I don't like the solution. It would mean that you could save tonnes of time by training pokémon at the lowest evolution and evolve them at a high level, thus getting all the experience due to higher base exp for free. I think its better as it is now; you have to gain the same amount of exp to reach lv99 and max evolution regardless of which level you choose to evolve at. It gives you the freedom to evolve your pokémon whenever you wish without loosing anything compared to other, more 'tactical' players.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
You've only been hearing part of the explanation. What you've said though is pretty close to the other part of the explanation, which we've also discussed before. Mismatches between what EXP a Pokémon has before evolution and what its evolved Pokémon should have at the same level are indeed the primary cause of the "negative EXP glitch"; though the client should be handling the numbers better and not showing the negatives, instead adding the deficit to the amount required so as not to cause confusion.

ash.catchem

Youngster
HeavyPetter said:
Your explanation of negative experience is correct. However I don't like the solution. It would mean that you could save tonnes of time by training pokémon at the lowest evolution and evolve them at a high level, thus getting all the experience due to higher base exp for free. I think its better as it is now; you have to gain the same amount of exp to reach lv99 and max evolution regardless of which level you choose to evolve at. It gives you the freedom to evolve your pokémon whenever you wish without loosing anything compared to other, more 'tactical' players.

thx, and actually I think this is the only case in handheld games, i have experienced there that an unevolved pokemon levels up faster than an fully evolved pokemon, so thats why i gave that suggestion..

I also liked your reason for it to be wrong, but that way there won't be any solution to this problem.