My luck

Peace-Enforcer

I just lost two larvitars with in 12 hours period due to server crashing.
Reason for this topic is to ask is there any way to actually fix crashes and if not is there at least a way to implement auto save after pokemon has been caught. That should at least fix some things.
I know that u can do it by relogging but I don't want to be forced to do that every time cause I might be negotiating a trade which can often be lost like that.
Thx in advance

ksalim313

It's always a good idea to log out after catching something special to you. If I'm not wrong, this way you'll force the system to schedule a save for your character :)

Edit: Clearly I misread your post, so apologies.

Borgore

I think the only problem with if you were to catch a pokemon and for it to auto save would cause alot of stress for the server because it will need a single save for every players who might be catching pokemon. That's why you relog so it can save your character profile and data with minimum stress on the system.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Nothing can be done about it currently, or another way to put it is that everything that can be done is being done. You are talking about server stability and technically this post shouldn't really be made I guess. Thugie has put a lot of time and effort into stabilising the server since he has been here and Reborn also has now tweaked the saving system twice that I know of- one of the main reasons for this has been to help reduce the chances of this happening. So all we can do is assure you that everything that can be done is being done. And that reassurance is always there which is why posts about the server are usually not allowed.

As for trading that should be a lot safer once it has been moved to the new Playerdex.

ksalim313

Warning: this reply is long and many can find it useless, so just skip it if you want :)

Since I misread this topic, i feel like I owe you a response, it might be useless but here it is:

Saving every pokemon a player catches may (I think will is better here) create an overhead to the server performance and it may get stuck just saving newly caught pokemon which in the end freeze the server (As Borgore said).

You're talking about low stability (as the problem) and you're suggesting lowering the performance as a solution.

Well, this trade off in Client/Server model is what everyone afraid of. we may need to sacrifice losing some data after a server crash just to maintain good performance when the game is running (Maybe I'm mistaken in this point and there is a good solution for it).

But every solution to maintain stability, performance and reliability will cost more than a simple fix can do, for example, lets make this scenario as solution:
  • All what you do igame is to be recorded (logged) in your hard disk, and when the system call for a save it just send this file or synchronise with the client using it (isn't it what the current system do?!).
  • When the client loses its connection to the server or the connection freezes for some time, the client saves all data to this log file and closes it.
  • When the server come back up and the client wishes to connect to the server, the client synchronize with the server (so even if the server crashed, your latest data will be stored in the log file and you'll not lose any information).

So what would such bad solution require?
  • First, it will require new client with logging capabilities.
  • When the client starts negotiation with the server to start the game, it sends the server the last edit date it logged, if the server matched this date with the date of the last save (will require server modification and maybe database modification) it synchronizes with the client, otherwise it refuse to synchronize.
  • What if a player found this log file? Wouldn't he/she modify it to have some advantages?
    okay let's encrypt this file using public/private key pair and the server verifies the log file whenever the client requests for synchronization so that any modification can be noticed (how about performance? probably will not affects the server a lot as it happens only during authentication at the beginning).

bottom line is, we may need a lot of changes just not to sacrifice some lost data and the effort that will be spent to do it may be more useful if it was directed to other problems like fixing bugs that leads to this instability, which I guess is what is being currently done (As Fonty said).

Sorry for making such a long and useless reply but I just threw what was in my mind :)

DK64

Sorry for your luck.
Good things will eventually come your way if you dont let it bring you down.

SViper

Website
www.facebook.com
kevinking91 said:
i lost 2 shinys and a couple of wins....
pwo is actually not playable....
PWO always have problem with crashes, because people use hacks, cheats, bugs and PWO is playable always. :-X

Boora

Youngster
what happens is, when a server crashes it goes back to the last saving point, there's nothing that can be done about that, it even happens in the huge mmorpgs
what they do to avoid this/avoid dupes is to make the save's closer to eachother i believe in pwo its like 5-10 mins per save, i do not know if is possible to make it less though only staff knows.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Boora said:
what happens is, when a server crashes it goes back to the last saving point, there's nothing that can be done about that, it even happens in the huge mmorpgs
what they do to avoid this/avoid dupes is to make the save's closer to eachother i believe in pwo its like 5-10 mins per save, i do not know if is possible to make it less though only staff knows.

Last I heard it was 4 minutes I believe, unless it was changed recently I assume it is still that. It's not the only problem though, not everything saves in one block, but in several pieces as far as I understand it. For example saving a loss once you start an NPC battle is automatic, so that if the game crashes during or shortly after that battle the loss is saved but not the win at the end if there was one. At other times money spent disappears but the things bought with that money get rolled back- pokeballs, evo stones etc. I would assume that one reason for this is to stop people exploiting by forcing a disconnect and returning with both money and items- or of course being able to rebattle NPCs after realising you are going to lose. So just forcing the game to save more often would not stop rollbacks.

Boora

Youngster
yeah thats why i said "dupes" and you just gave me an idea you see
in a specific game i played there was a problem of crashes and people abused it to duplicate items (gve items to other acc log ff with it and wait to crash with the first one)
so what the developers did is, what ever is in your inventory wont get rollbacked but your prograss will (money,exp,etc) do you think its possible to do here ?

ksalim313

What Fonty said is actually what is happening as far as I can see, but this is not supposed to be happening, I think saving any data for a player has to be inside a transaction so that MySQL rolls back it self if the transaction was not completed correctly.

For example: if you want to save that a player battled an NPC you can put saving: exp, level, evolution, items used, money, battle start indicator and battle end indicator inside a transaction.

This way if the battle didn't end, all saved data during the battle will be rolled back immediately and if all the above were saved correctly the transaction will be committed.

But this is just my humble opinion :)