Move Tutors: Surf and Waterfall

HOF69

As I understand it, creating an HM (essentially a TM that has unlimited uses) isn't possible yet in PWO. So, given the recent addition of the Outrage tutor, I wanted to propose two new tutors: one for Surf and one for Waterfall. I think all players would agree that these two moves are incredibly useful for numerous Pokemon and would be welcomed additions to the game. While these moves certainly aren't critical to creating any sort of balance in the battle scene, they won't unbalance it either (most water Pokemon already learn the more powerful versions, Aqua Tail, Brine or Hydro Pump). Surf and Waterfall are two of the best water moves in all Pokemon games, and even without the flinching effect of Waterfall, I believe that having these two HMs available through move tutor NPCs would be a welcome update. The obvious alternative would be to release these moves as TMs, but move tutors seem more appropriate for HMs.

Thoughts?

Arnie

id have to agree on waterfall especially (its a physical attack), much benefits for quagsire :p

Isguros

Youngster
As a water pokemon trainer, I think this is a great idea, cause I dislike hydro pump, like most same people do ;). Quagsire is a good example for a pokemon that benefits from such a tutor, but there are others as well. Think about everyone's favorite eeveelution: Vaporeon; his only alternative for hydro pump is water gun, and that's not really as effective. Or Walrein, a water/ice pokemon that only learns water gun.

Zorom

That would be a great idea, i support it. :D

And many water pokes would also benefit from it and it will make them more wanted and stronger

GOO Water Pokemons!!!!!!!!!!!! O0

Dragon16

Youngster
We need support for better water moves and i think that Surf and Waterfall Tutors it a good and necessary idea; especially to prevent this, which happens too often, from happening:
9V4tlLC.png

HOF69

I completely agree Dragon. Hydro Pump has to be one of the most frustrating moves in the game, and Surf is a perfect alternative. Moreover, it's actually weaker than Hydro Pump, so there shouldn't be any concern about it creating overpowered Pokemon.

On a side note, in case anyone is wondering why we need Surf when Surfboards are already in PWO, the point of this topic is to discuss having Surf and Waterfall available for use in battles only.

DMleev

Would be interesting the move tutors who teaches Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn and Hydro Cannon.

"A woman at Boon Island's Cape Brink will teach one move to each of the fully evolved Kanto starter Pokémon. She will teach Frenzy Plant to Venusaur, Hydro Cannon to Blastoise, and Blast Burn to Charizard. The moves can only be taught to one of these three Pokémon once, and the Pokémon learning the move must have maximum friendship." According to Bulbapedia.

We already have the friendship system so is possible teaching these moves by a tutor.

About Surf and Waterfall i think it's a really good idead, Hydro Pump sucks and we have water type pokemon with a better attack than special one.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
Possible? Yes. Useful? Not at all. Those moves are the equivalent to hyper beam but adapted to the starters' types. With that said, there'd be little use for the move competitively so imo it'd a better idea to add the most 'useful' moves first.

DMleev

150 base power and isn't useful? Depending on the player's strategy these moves may be really useful to win battles.
I'm not saying that Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn and Hydro Cannon should have priority, we just have the possibility to add them
and I do not see any matter with it. We have Thunder Wave, Toxic, Toxic Spikes, a bunch of moves anyone (or almost anyone)
uses in battle.

So don't give priority to the "most useful" moves because adding one won't interfere on plans to add other ones.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
You seem to be forgetting a very important detail, the recharge. And that recharge turn can be enough for your opponent to boost on you and turn the battle to their favor. All put together it wouldn't be a move tutor highly sought after as it is nowhere as good and useful as you picture it to be, therefore they should belong to the group of move tutors with the lowest addition priority since they won't be making much of a difference (that if they make any difference at all)

DMleev

Okay tho, I'll ask to Nintendo's Staff why they create so many non useful moves if they don't help
in battle...

The-Predator

Youngster
DMleev said:
Okay tho, I'll ask to Nintendo's Staff why they create so many non useful moves if they don't help
in battle...

is not like they are not useful, the problem is how the PWO is limited with broken moves, hold items, natures and abilities, those are very important for battles that could help against boost and some other things that currently suck in current battle system

HOF69

In light of Shane fixing Brine today, I decided to bump this topic. Surf is needed more than ever now.

On a side note, adding Scald TM would be a nice addition as well.

darkshadow.

We need Waterfall for Gyarados, Poliwrath , Kingdra , Swampert , Quagsire and the list keeps going

nemo55

Given recent events I'd forget about everything battle wise. What current staff are capable of doing is Spawn Change Project, NEW Playerdex, Making Events, and Adding Few Things Here And There. That is the ceiling, sadly. AND FIX THIS SMILEY I WANT TO EXPRESS MY ANGER! :mad: