Money and Loot.

mad30

Youngster
A part of pwo that has bugged me for a long time now is money being dropped as loot. This is actually a big turn off for me and something I have in the past been outspoken against. Here's my issues with it
1) an improper looting system
2) rewards botters hurts casual players
3) an unneeded advantage for members over non donators.

Now lets start in reverse order

There's a lot of things in pwo that entices players to donate. Extra money gain from wild Pokemon battles are not one of them. However it is rather significant. In almost every facet of the game donators will have an advantage. While this is not a pay to win game it's a pay to skip ahead game. It's like unlocking all of the levels an being able to go to the final level. You still need to work to win, know the game, and everything else but you get to skip doing a lot of work

Members should have certain advantages. Faster leveling, exclusive items Pokemon, better luck but the economy is the one place I think mmos new to have everyone on level playing ground as far as obtaining Pokemon without an ingame negative (having to sell a Pokemon would be a negative)

Botters obviously get the most benefit from money drops from wild Pokemon I for think there is much I need to say here.

What pwo needs is a proper looting system. Drop items, not money, or make the players pick. Use Pokeballs potions escape ropes train tickets and various other expendable items as loot. If possible make it so players have an option the chat says you have found a Pokeballs potion or a coin case which would you like to take? You type back /loot 1 for Pokeball. If you don't type back what you want before the next battle you lose the loot.

In future versions it woul be better to have a small popup box that you choose from I stead but ill assume for now that requires a client update

Loot is an important feature in mmos and pwo is failing at it giving money straight up is bad and the system needs to be redone.

Symbiosis

Website
www.facebook.com
I like your thought. What I do disagree with is the fact that this is a mmo and you need ingame cash to do things. How would we earn money for things if not from drops?

crenel

Youngster
In the past we had discussed the idea of Pokemon randomly dropping things like Shards and Mushrooms that could be sold for cash.

Also, daily quests were discussed but determined (at the time) unfeasible due to server instability.

Bounty quests would be cool if it could be sorted out, but that's sorta dark for Pokemon.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I think item drops, especially ones that could be sold for money, would pretty much be the same thing as money drops. The difference? you have to walk to a mart and sell them. Not hard to turn off a program and walk/escape rope to the nearest town and count your barely more inconvenient gains.

The daily quests, NPCs, or other interactive content would be the better bet for that kind of thing. Granted, random popups for loot choice would slow things down a bit.

And due note that, if present, a currency (such as coins as was a random example) will be the most convenient/wise choice because you can get a larger variety of stuff with it (even if there's less currency than the worth of some of those items.) Unless you're in, say, the top of Mt. Silver and notice you have no pokeballs and one drops as a choice.

Symbiosis

Website
www.facebook.com
Daily quest and item drops that have no use other than selling but pokemon related would fit great bu as mentioned server/client stability.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
At the moment NPCs give very little reward for beating them compared to the handhelds. If wild drops were removed a base of necessary money to progress in the game could easily be provided by boosting that. It was enough for the handhelds at least to cover all necessary purchases, so it could be here too. Seeking out quests and item drops for more money sounds like more fun than just grinding for it on the highest level map we have access to at the time.

Saric

Youngster
HitmonFonty said:
At the moment NPCs give very little reward for beating them compared to the handhelds. If wild drops were removed a base of necessary money to progress in the game could easily be provided by boosting that. It was enough for the handhelds at least to cover all necessary purchases, so it could be here too. Seeking out quests and item drops for more money sounds like more fun than just grinding for it on the highest level map we have access to at the time.
NPCs were also much more repeatable than every 2 weeks in the handhelds, giving a more steady flow of cash. You would have to boost the npc yield to obscene amounts to even come close to that situation.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
NPCs didn't rebattle at all in first and second gen but the money was easily enough to get through the game. Rebattling the elite four gave you enough for the more expensive stuff like EV training items and game corner stuff.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
kaiser6tn said:
Certain NPCs were rebattleable in gen 2 (phone app in pokegear) iirc

ah true that but really it didn't make much difference to the money since they weren't exactly common, same as 3rd gen- rebattles were mostly used for training your pokes up not making extra money

crenel

Youngster
I once suggested potentially removing money. It wasn't a serious suggestion, but the ramifications of removing cash were interesting to think about. It both fixes some problems and creates others.

For example, if we were to remove money and replace it with a daily credit system, we'd lose the current economy but create an entirely new style of trading.

If everyone had 20 free items from the Pokemart each day, then storing up Pokemart items to be used in bartering would suddenly become viable. Likewise, trades might crop up that read along the lines of, "trading Pikachu for 5 mart credits," where the players would agree to buy items for other players in exchange for the Pikachu.

Money isn't the only system, but it's the old trope/fallback. If it is a major issue, then maybe its removal and replacement with some other system might be better.