meritocratic hunting

The-Joker

we know that the new tier system doesn't work well, sometimes we get 10 hours, 20 hours, 30 hours chasing a pokemon and he just doesn't show up, and someone else in 10 minutes finds him (that's frustrating), or you take 2 hours to find it and 10 minutes later find another.

why not create a meritocratic form then? The idea is to hit challenge "within the map".

As I would not like it to be too much work and not waste all that was done years ago, we would not have to abandon the current model, just add a second hunting system that works without them colliding.

think in any map with that tiers.

Assuming a normal player can find 10 T1 in 1 minute WITHOUT PAUSE, here is my suggestion.

example:

T1 - OK - TO FIND A SHINY "FIND A 2500x THAT POKE
T2 - FIND "A NUMBER OF 50 T1 ON THIS MAP (estimated 5/10min or more) - TO FIND A SHINY "FIND A 1000x THAT POKE"
T2 - FIND "A NUMBER OF 50 T1 ON THIS MAP (estimated 5/10min or more) - TO FIND A SHINY "FIND A 1000x THAT POKE"
T3 - FIND "A NUMBER OF 500 T1, ON THIS MAP (estimated 50min or more) - TO FIND A SHINY "FIND A 500x THAT POKE"
T4 - FIND "A NUMBER OF 2000 T1orT2, ON THIS MAP (estimated 2hrs or more)- TO FIND A SHINY "FIND A 500x THAT POKE"
T5 - FIND "A NUMBER OF 5000 T1orT2, ON THIS MAP (estimated 5hrs or more) - TO FIND A SHINY "FIND A 100x THAT POKE"

that's will be the challenge, the player will have the control of the your time spent and catch what he want.

and will be good to catch replics to sell, contributing to the current weak market

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
...So basically, your suggestion is:
  • Give people who have found the same Pokémon repeatedly, a guaranteed chance of a Shiny encounter; and
  • Increase the chance for a higher tier encounter the more times a person finds a lower tier encounter?

The-Joker

yes jinji, you understand my idea, I just want to remind you that I wouldn't want to take the full randomness out of the hunting system, just add a second way for people to be sure what players are going to get.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
An idea I actually brought up with the Staff many months ago involved adding a weight to the rarity system whereby the chances of certain types of encounter could be increased the more encounters a player has. This weight would be tied to the player itself; and would reset upon such an encounter being triggered. For example, a player who had encountered 8,000 Pokémon without a Shiny would see their Shiny encounter rate be slowly increased for each subsequent encounter until one finally triggers. Various concerns were raised with this proposal, ranging from the economic considerations to the actual technical feasibility - to give some idea upon the latter, one of the many concerns was over the number and frequency of additional database queries that each new encounter would generate; and it may also increase the memory and data overhead involved with battles themselves.

The-Joker

economically I think it would be a breakthrough, a lot of my friends no longer play because the tiers are too complicated, I believe this must be one of the factors that most people do not devote to the game as before, we would be rescuing old players with money and pokemon to sales.

about too many queries, this is really a problem, the staff could hide this information from the player, just reveal what needs to be done on the /list and let him make his own estimate, I would not say to increase the encouters rate, but to reach objective and consequently have your reward

whisMEAT

Youngster
Though it seems a different math, at the end of the day it is merely the same as easining the tiers and ahinies. Even a chance of t5 is 1 in milllion ,every attempt is jncreasing ur chance to step by step as you hunt in totality. Anybody will eventually find a shiny and mentioned t5. İt is a graph that reaches to %100at infinite.
This isnt any different then changing tiers to easier .it is just adjusting "eventually" to a ...."eventually". Just sooner .
İdea is in the end easier t2+ and shinies

shodan21

Youngster
Though it seems a different math, at the end of the day it is merely the same as easining the tiers and ahinies. Even a chance of t5 is 1 in milllion ,every attempt is jncreasing ur chance to step by step as you hunt in totality. Anybody will eventually find a shiny and mentioned t5. İt is a graph that reaches to %100at infinite.
This isnt any different then changing tiers to easier .it is just adjusting "eventually" to a ...."eventually". Just sooner .
İdea is in the end easier t2+ and shinies

actually, this isnt quite that equivalent, since it entails an actual guarantee. since in the current system, every encounter is randomly generated, there is no guarantee that youll ever find any individual poke, even though the probability of finding everything does indeed trend toward 100% as the number of encounters goes to infinity. this, however, overrides the probability and forces in an actual 100%, not a limit of 100%.

also, i like the idea of rares getting progressively less rare as you dont find them (and i think ive suggested such a thing in chat before), but im not sure thats such a good idea for shinies given the impact it would have on membership purchases.

thunderclap

Youngster
Good idea. We definitely need something along these lines. If anyone doesn't like it, try hunting 1000 hours for a shiny tier 2 and finding nothing but bats.

The actual numbers you've chosen I think are too easy though - 100 Tier 5s is only 1500 hours - that's about the same odds that a shiny tier 2 is now (assuming 1/100 encounter). Ten players could find that in 150 hours, or ~5 days. I can only think of one shiny Tier 5 that has been found in the last 5 years (bMind's Snorlax). That level of easiness would seriously upend the economy. Shiny tier 5 should remain for all intents and purposes impossible for one player to set out to find, IMO..

To staff: Please take the following as constructive criticism. Most of us here love this game, but objective facts say it is OLD, and CRAPPY, and OUTDATED. Telling players they (statistically) need to spend 1500 hours to have an even chance to find a shiny tier 2 (with a membership - 6000 without), which is still several orders of magnitude cheaper and easier to find than a shiny tier 3.. is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. This is a KIDS GAME, and it's not worth that kind of time investment for one single relatively low end pokemon in this game that is by all indications in its death throes. There are old accounts with shiny tier 5s and token shinies, filled with impossible unattainable wealth, and lots of those players have less than 1000 hours playtime. Those token shinies were simply purchasable for cash donations, no luck involved. How can we retain new players when they see this?

Us players who happen to have one or two rare pokes like that, need to not be so selfish to deny other players the chance to THROUGH MASSIVE TIME INVESTMENT have a small chance of finding nice relatively low end things for themselves. The spawn system was designed for when we had hundreds of players RNGing 24/7, so rare things were not as rare, and more players were naive about the value of those pokes, so smart/unethical players could take advantage of them.

If you want to demand that kind of effort from the players, you invisible staff members, show us some actual effort yourselves. All signs say Bluerise is the only staff member doing anything these days, and I commend and thank him for it every chance I get, but we need developers working on new region maps, new pokes, and a client overhaul, transparently, desperately. Not just Playerdex, as awesome as it is. Someone told me "Pippin" is the guy working on the new maps/pokes. I've been here since 2013 and never heard/seen anyone named Pippin. I'm told that some devoted staff members like Krysi put in untold hours behind the scenes - if that's the case why are you so secretive about it? Your work will inspire others, don't be modest, if you do in fact rock, tell us! Keep your changelogs updated, and to-do lists.

There's far too much handwaving around here "no, that's impossible" every time a good suggestion is made. If you worked for Elon Musk, you'd be fired for saying things are impossible!

Nobody is suggesting making things actually easy, just within the dreamworld realms of attainability for those who want to spend many hundreds of hours. Those are the kinds of quality players we wish to attract, after all. Nobody wants to collapse the economy, but things need to be rebalanced a little. All you "easier=no" naysayers please take some time to look at these ideas, bust out the calculator and a textbook, and actually propose some numbers. All solutions involve compromise but we're on a path to failure at the moment.

In terms of schedule commitment, as Musk says, "long is wrong, tight is right." If something outside the critical path to success will take a lot of complicated work to do, it's wrong. If it's doable quickly, it's right. So if this idea is not feasible, due to too many database entries, look to similar suggestions like my own "lucky items/disposal NPC" suggestion.

My suggestion would be far easier to implement, now that I've thought about it, since it accomplishes similar goals but doesn't require too much complex client coding or database entries for each player's mundane encounters. The server would only need to track membership/lucky item quantity/numerical REP (luck) value for each player, and would reset any luck boosts globally for all players once per week. Most of that is already tracked. The meritocratic parts of my suggestion are finding the lucky items in the first place, fainting pokes for boosted cash (which takes longer), and hunting T2+ pokes to trade in with the disposal NPC. But my suggestion doesn't give anyone any guarantees.

I've made a separate suggestion (in a post tacked onto another suggestion) for a future client update, where the client would locally store + track advanced stats for pokemon encounters, shiny percentages, etc. These would have no bearing on luck/spawn rates, since local data can be manipulated (cheated), but would be interesting for players to see if they're having bad luck or just not putting in enough effort.

And yes I realize you are all volunteers and don't owe us anything. You shouldn't blame me for trying though. Freedom of speech and all that. Please don't ban me.

Last edited:

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I actually had an idea similar to this idea many years ago. I wrote it as, the more you faint common pokemon the rarer they get due to being "hunted", and there would be fewer of them and thus there would be more of the other kinds of pokemon. So, if there were far too many zubat or magikarp on a map, just faint those until the number of them shrinks and the others become more common. We could control which direction the rarities go.

This was actually part of my MMO Pokemon game I was designing. It would be connected to the Jobs System. A player could become a Pokemon Ranger and keep track of the pokemon rarities, and if a species becomes too rare and close to extinction they would be able to go to a breeding center where other players are working as breeders and make a request to accumulate more of "Rare Species" which the Ranger would have to collect regularly and take to the place the pokemon is rare and release them into the wild to bring back their species.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Those token shinies were simply purchasable for cash donations

Back in the day that was needed to get the game moving. Since then, the game has taken off and gone through legal issues and such. New players shouldn't really be looking at the old stuff. Aren't most of those accounts banned/ abandoned?