Market Dying... why not do something like this?

drvirus

The market is dying, people are no longer buying pokemons, most likely because there arent much things that they need to buy anymore, they will only wait till someone gets a shiny HR/VR/UC and buy there, so the money will stay on top for ever...

I think we should shift this a bit, make top player want to buy some of the "now useless" pokemons in the market, to make the money go around.

Here is what i suggest.
creating a system that takes in shiny pokemons for example and gives you x amount of tokens instead, with these tokens you can convert any pokemon into a shiny version with the same exact IV's, for example:

Each shiny pokemon you convert gives you x1 token, when you have x100 tokens you can convert your normal dragonite with IVs 20/5/31/31/23/12 to a shiny 1 with the same exact stats!

So technically every x100 "useless shiny" converts 1 normal pokemon of your choice to shiny

With this move, top players will start buying those useless common shinys from the new players who can barely make a buck and help them grow in the game and in return those new players will go buying other pokemons they want to get stronger in the game, making the money flow between all the players in game.

What do you guys think?

drvirus

Hey Shane, How are you?, I dont know if you remember me or not, but i used to be a GM before you joined the team i was GM Tania, and i worked with Xanatus on a few projects, such as the safari zones. i requested from Xanatus to make the system to teleport players after X amount of time in the Safari zone, within 3 days that option became available in game at a time where NPCs couldnt do anything except fight, they couldnt take items/pokes couldnt understand IF conditions and everything else.

So i dont think i expect much from this game, because I was in that team working with them, I know things like this can be done :)

KeyboardWarrior

I know who you are, But you seem to have forgotten how this game works now.
And thats only a few lines of code.

I was also developing much before i became a DEV behind the scenes.

KeyboardWarrior

Anyhow, your idea is nice. However, im just pointing out. Things do not get done around here like they used to.
Gone the days where you could fix or add stuff. Takes years aparently now. or absurdly long times.

drvirus

That Might be true, but all we have is time, dont you think? :)

KeyboardWarrior

Life is to short :p Why dont you come have a chat to some of us over at this other game.
Check it out, perhaps even test it.

Nikola

Youngster
Why do you think that introducing more shinies would help if shinies are cheap because there are too many of them. Why do you think that a top tier player will bother with low IV shiny? Now the main question is, are you saying something like that because you can't sell anything for the price you think it's good or because there is some middle market price for certain Pokemon types.

Like I said many times. PWO is boxed in with 2 regions for 6/7 years. It's to expect that people will amass Pokemon with time as they play, there is no place and system to drain them out. Plus, you have that Token Store in place for years where people are buying easy Pokemon and getting shinies. I can't see that being changed anytime soon as there is no one who cares about game balance. If there are staff that cares they don't have powers and authority. And first of all, if someone cares about the game balance you wouldnt be having such Token Store in place for years. Every update done on token store resulted in more easier way of obtaining and buying Pokemon and shinies which is in direct conflict with MMO environment.

Some staff who could do the changes aren't being told how much money comes in from ads and membership only so they think that having Pokemon in Token Store is crucial to cover server costs. All those are "bonus" after month ends. I remember back in day, PWO could pay server costs with ads only as there was greater number of people playing, clicking etc. I wouldn't be expecting any fixes regarding that anytime soon mostly because PWO lacks of professional personnel to deal with those issues. Those ones who could don't have means to do it so..

But yeah, you can blame Token Store system for economy you have right now. This is where 99% of players will agree whats the issue. Big part comes from years of 2 regions being boxed in and Pokemon being caught. They probably tried to give people a reason to donate so they allowed them to express buy Pokes with high shiny chances etc. While on other hand no one did anything to give people more reason to buy MS. It's really sad when people learn by wasting your money. But...its more sad when you waste your money and donate for a good cause but no one learned anything. It just goes in circle for years. I originally suggested game purge and start anew. However, it has been a while and nothing was done by that question, only stalling and draining more and more. Now, there is a chance that purge will not be viable for longer term as they never learned how the game works by leaving such Token Store system. But yeah. It's not up to us to be either optimistic or pessimistic. Stopped doing that long time ago. It's all about being realistic.

drvirus

I dont mind testing and trying out other games/versions, but PWO will always be my baby, after all i've been here since it was in Alpha testing ^^

KeyboardWarrior

PWO is a huge part of me too.. Took my first big boy steps entering a world of code I couldnt comprehend to imagine back then.. picked up from kyros client. And moved on from such a language since.
So can understand this, Im also aware how long you have been around. Your account ID is a thousand or so infront of my original accounts id. And i respect your loyalty. Wasnt easy to give up something i put countless allnighters in.
Was a big part of my later teen years and crappy times in life to get me by.

drvirus

Nikola said:
Why do you think that introducing more shinies would help if shinies are cheap because there are too many of them. Why do you think that a top tier player will bother with low IV shiny? Now the main question is, are you saying something like that because you can't sell anything for the price you think it's good or because there is some middle market price for certain Pokemon types.

being a shiny was an example, it can also be that any pokemon with all ivs over 20 can be converted but that will make everyone catch every pokemon they see, so thats why i suggested shiny versions only, if you look at the economy now, everyone is trying to sell, no one bothers to buy, because everyone wants to save all their money till they can afford a great IV battler or shiny VR, HR, UC. killing the market.

drvirus

KeyboardWarrior said:
PWO is a huge part of me too.. Took my first big boy steps entering a world of code I couldnt comprehend to imagine back then.. picked up from kyros client. And moved on from such a language since.
So can understand this, Im also aware how long you have been around. Your account ID is a thousand or so infront of my original accounts id. And i respect your loyalty. Wasnt easy to give up something i put countless allnighters in.
Was a big part of my later teen years and crappy times in life to get me by.

Indeed, uts sad what happened between you guys. I dont know what the argument was about, and to be honest i dont really care. i just wish for both sides the best of luck :)

AceTrainerLance

I was playing PWO from 2008. One thing I can say for sure! It smells like rotten people when certain staff are working on the game. I know they might think that they are working and that they do good but results are telling different. it is truth that no one ever did anything to fix this issue but they made token store more better for lazy and rich players. This whole thing in PWO is a big lie. I would like to see this fixed but you know. You can't trust to PWO happenings. This game sank long time ago.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Ideas like this one have been discussed amongst staff before. The big issue here of course is balance. There's no question it would make a lot of 'useless' shinies more valuable, but will it make some pokemon too powerful to up those IVs in response? Either way it is worth discussing options like this as they are things we do consider to improve the game.

You didn't specify in your first post, but do you mean to boost the IVs of a non-shiny pokemon when you convert it to shiny? Or just for the colouration? And would this still be worth doing if it only changed the colour, not the IVs?

drvirus

HitmonFonty said:
Ideas like this one have been discussed amongst staff before. The big issue here of course is balance. There's no question it would make a lot of 'useless' shinies more valuable, but will it make some pokemon too powerful to up those IVs in response? Either way it is worth discussing options like this as they are things we do consider to improve the game.

You didn't specify in your first post, but do you mean to boost the IVs of a non-shiny pokemon when you convert it to shiny? Or just for the colouration? And would this still be worth doing if it only changed the colour, not the IVs?

Ive been discussing this with Rigaudon.

Here is what i wrote maybe it will explain more what i was trying to say:

In my opinion you need to make something in the game that will be unlimited to keep the market running for ever, at the same time you dont want those things to make the gap bigger in strength between old players and new players, thats where the shiny pokemons come into place.

I have been playing/working with this game since it first opened back in December 2007, If one thing is for certain, players LOVE shiny, even though they are not stronger than normal ones, the idea of having 1 is nice.

Thats why i came out with the idea of exchanging x100 shinys for 1 shiny of your choice, now with the token store pokes giving out shiny's exchanging x100 for 1 wouldnt make much of a difference in the market flow of shiny types.

With this move, the top players who are saving hundreds of millions just to buy an other "unique shiny" will instead spread those millions to hundrads of players to get his own "unique shiny pokemon" so basically instead of wasting all the money to 1 other player and keeping it at top, he will spread it among all the new/low/medium players so that they can in return go buy them selves some pokemons that will help them get stronger making a cycle that never ends.

As for normal pokemons, thats something that needs more studying on.

When exchanging x100 pokes for 1 shiny of your choice, that shiny version will not change its stats, you will be picking any pokemon you have, and just change his color with the same exact stats.

and also with this move it will make the pokemart more active, and more money going out of the game for players who want to buy those items they dont have, such as bikes, surfboards, great ball upgrade, tickets, and will also make those players able to buy memberships easier, since top players with alot of cash will want to get their hands on useless shinys.

With this move i think everyone wins, the token store will get more income, old players will get those shinys they always wanted, and the low/medium players will have the cash to spend around

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
I've said long time ago that the token store shinys where going to ruin the economy, I've said that Pwo was going to be a game for players with big pockets with the time and take a look around now, blame me, I can't do anything about it but you, if you are not going to listen, close the forums..

The-Predator

Youngster
Nowadays players with few weeks (playtime), have many more than others playing for years, PWO has become a home for "Golden Cows"

Boora

Youngster
Tokens is a touchy subject so leave it be,
how about, for every shiny pokemon you convert you get a point from an npc, for every X amount of points you can convert an exsisting none shiny to a shiny,
all it'll do is change the pokemons collor it will not effect any balancing what so ever, but will give collectors and battlers more fun,
this way like the original poster said, you can get rid of 100 s pidgeys and gain one s (X)
for the sake of not making this too easy, how about for different pokemons it'll require different points,
my guess is every useless shiny will become at least 1m-2m instantly, and if you'll make the rare pokemons (battlers mostly) expensive (point wise)
it'll work out perfectly, lets say changing a dragonite will cost 500 points, its still 500m to 1b, just to make it shiny. (dont forget he already has the stats on the pokemon so no harm, no balancing issue), it'll also make more people hunt, get s commons, new plays will be able to sell shinys, its perfect really,
the only downside i can see is that well, you cant no offense. either you'll come up with an excuse not to make this or you simply cant, with the only dev (thats active and knows what hes doing) leaving and makin his own game.

i mean come on, i dare you, any of you, to show me a downside to the Op's idea. ,
any downside that's worse the the current situation.