Making Pwo great again !

Georgelzr

Well,i have a suggestion.
I ve seen many players quiting the game ,many good players,for many reasons,not really important ones,others very important and with a logic.
Going to the subject now.
The market is dying ,we can t sell or buy good pokes,we don t see good pokes,only if we are online 24/24 hours on the trade chat,or eventually on the  others chats.My ideea is to bring or extract the good pokemons from inactive accounts who are close to be deleted.For example if i am not active for more than an year instead of vanishing my account with all my pokemons,my account could just be deleted,but my pokes be taken away from my account and put them as a prize for a future event,or a simple quest at a mini event,just like RedCow have done with his pokes,also you can extract the money and the tokens and do the same with them.It ll be good to win 100m pokedollars instead of wininng 3 vouchers
What are u saying  about that ?

(sorry for cr*p english )

Nshims

Dude this would not be right, I personally was inactive for about 1 year and a half,
Imagine how I would look if I had come back to PWO and discovered that some of
my stuff was taken from my account, This would be a disaster!

I do not think this suggestion is good, not really!
If you want good pokémons why not search for yourself.
I think that's how the owners of these inactive accounts have done.
You can not just want to get free stuff, you need also to provide the necessary work to obtain them!

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
well i think the same thing goerge but make that delay for 2 years will be great

Saric

Youngster
They've done this in the past with an account named The_Auctioneer. It took pokemon off of inactive and banned accounts and staff held an auction with them. It's definitely been done before, but I don't know why it hasn't been done since.

Electrofreak

Saric said:
They've done this in the past with an account named The_Auctioneer. It took pokemon off of inactive and banned accounts and staff held an auction with them. It's definitely been done before, but I don't know why it hasn't been done since.

It was done with an illegitimate system. Certain individuals abused power to make sure their friends or themselves got specific things. The staff makeup did not change until after the purge of 2014 when things got better to be blunt.

Reasons why it is a bad idea:
1. Some of those pokemon are illegitimate.

2.If you never let anything leave the game, you deflate value of other like things in the system creating economic instability as you never know what pokemon is next on the chopping block.

3.The 20+ system was made with the intention to REDUCE the the amount and ease of getting a perfect pokemon. Why would they do that then follow up with something to counteract that?

4. No amount of money is worth some older shinies. The amount of money you can get from someone in game and the utility that gives, is not high enough to justify a sale of some pokemon. Bringing them back into the game is not an equivalent exchange in major instances. (Example: Old Iv shiny Hr/Uc  battlers)

5. This does not add gameplay, replay value, or any actual content to the game. This has no purpose other than to just let people get old things cheaper than they could otherwise since they are no longer for sale or gone from the game entirely.

Need I go on?

Just because something sounds fun doesn't mean it is good for the balance of the game.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
It's not more pokemon we need but more active players. With more players come more pokemon and traders.

I have no idea why the decision was made to sell pokemon from inactive and/or banned accounts before, (I thought it was just banned though I wasn't staff back then) but my opinion now is:

***Taking the pokemon from inactive accounts would be stealing. What if those players turned up to claim them later, or finding their account deleted found their epic pokemon distributed to other players in the game?

***Taking the pokemon from banned accounts means putting pokemon that were illegally obtained back into the system. We work hard to remove all the illegally gained pokemon, money and items from the game we can, and returning them would be reversing a large part of that hard work.

Rigaudon

Youngster
I have no idea why the decision was made to sell pokemon from inactive and/or banned accounts before

To clarify, I believe it was done to help with the massive pokedollar inflation problem we had, which was caused by one of the various pokedollar hacks that would pop up back then. The assumption was that people would sell their pokemon to accumulate pokedollars for the high-end trades (ie: shiny salamence). It kind of worked?
It wasn't used for the purpose George is suggesting, only to help balance the money/pokemon distribution in the elite class and mid/lower class. May have been secondary motivations by some staff involved to return circulation of Old IV token store shinies that ended up mostly banned on botting accounts (IE: MasterK)...but otherwise went off well. Took A LOT of effort though, and beyond benefiting the game by absorbing billions(!) of pokedollars, really only benefited a few very elite players....

So if we were to revive that system, it would honestly be high visibility but low impact on the playerbase, on top of the cons Fonty has listed. Since the problem it was created to solve no longer exists, that particular deflation benefit would be null.

sasuke673

its not an good idea to put poks and their stuff in the game even they are out or banned accounts

Georgelzr

I have many good pokes,i don t need others,i have money to buy anything,but there comes the problem,today were active at 12:00 pm Utc ,about 12 players.Man ,12 players.It s sad to see that ,too sad .You promised us montly events,at least one per month,and there have been 4 months and no event.At least you can do that,if people have more money ,they can buy and sell easily and it will make the game more interesting.Let s forget about bad thing that there were done,we live in present ,and the present is not good,we have to something,if we with at least 1000h in game don t raise a hand ,hwo will do it ? Players with 6 badges and 50h?!
I have big expactation from the game this year.I would also like to see new admins on game,more active ones,like Electro and others.And now i am talking to all admins,some of u are inactive and don t help with the game improving,if you are to busy with real life,just quit ,nobody is meant to be forever ,for sure we will find some1 active ,we have players with good ideas capable to improve them in the game,and for sure wont take like 4 years to do an update.

Nshims

Even if this suggestion were accepted, who guarantees us that the pokes in auction or money/tokens will not just fall into the hands of people who are already super power.

Unbalancing the market even more, I do not see how a new player can compete with old players who have more than 50m in an auction.

This idea is not really good.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Georgelzr said:
I have many good pokes,i don t need others,i have money to buy anything,but there comes the problem,today were active at 12:00 pm Utc ,about 12 players.Man ,12 players.It s sad to see that ,too sad .You promised us montly events,at least one per month,and there have been 4 months and no event.At least you can do that,if people have more money ,they can buy and sell easily and it will make the game more interesting.Let s forget about bad thing that there were done,we live in present ,and the present is not good,we have to something,if we with at least 1000h in game don t raise a hand ,hwo will do it ? Players with 6 badges and 50h?!
I have big expactation from the game this year.I would also like to see new admins on game,more active ones,like Electro and others.And now i am talking to all admins,some of u are inactive and don t help with the game improving,if you are to busy with real life,just quit ,nobody is meant to be forever ,for sure we will find some1 active ,we have players with good ideas capable to improve them in the game,and for sure wont take like 4 years to do an update.

We are still looking to recruit new staff over this year, but it isn't to replace the ones we have. We have an inactive policy we do enforce now and there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes towards a major back end update that will improve PWO in many ways- including faster coding for future updates and events etc.

As for current events, the last major one finished in early December which I think awarded 5 tokens in total if all requirements were met. We do have another monthly event on the boil which will be run as soon as possible.

We don't promise anything as a rule since we are all volunteers and real life issues can reduce our available time to work on the game without any warning at all. We aim to give you an event every month and are working towards that end, but it can't be a promise.

Georgelzr

We don't promise anything as a rule since we are all volunteers and real life issues can reduce our available time to work on the game without any warning at all. We aim to give you an event every month and are working towards that end, but it can't be a promise.
[/quote]

Then aim for new players in your staff,there are many good and active players,we are kinda bored of this excuses with ,,we have stuff to do” and ,,we got our own life,we are vounteers”.Ok we ve heard that like 100 times per week,but nobody keeps you in here,nobody forces you to do that,if u got better stuff to do,then just leave like i said.
I ve seen many posts with good ideas not even one implemented and also i ve seen people who wanted to join staff ,but they are not there yet and pbbly quited the ideea of being in there.
As i told u ,all of the inactive admins take us to inactive players and a boring game.Please leave the admins postions if u got better things to do ,for sure there will be new people ,we don t need inactive things or people ,we had enough.
If you re inactive and you are admin,you should quit,no matter how many good things you ve done in the past,set free a place for another new active and able to continue the better things you were doing in the past,that is how we will improve.But i ve seen the same admins for like 3 years,and they are still there,still inactive,and we got bored of excuses.We know you put a hard work,all of you,but the ones who are inactive ,shoud leave as i said and let others.

Rigaudon

Youngster
I'm inactive?!

On a serious note, here's a response from somebody else that had question about staff hiring practices:

Sweetboi said:
What kind of qualities are you looking for. Someone friendly, someone who's online alot, people with developing experience - what would be the minimum requirement?

Warning, you just asked me something I'm very interested in, so you win an infodump. Congratulations!

Aside from potential and willingness to learn, I am not concerned about pre-existing skills much, even if those are a nice plus. We tend to teach people who we hire to at least a basic degree, so if they show enough promise, are working consistently enough, and have a good attitude they'll be good hires. Namedropping Reli here (sorry Reli), he didn't know that much when he started but he showed a positive attitude and willingness to learn, and now he's doing almost all of the events. ;D Now we do have 2-3 people very qualified for more technical design (in school for programming, database management, etc) but most of us are not. I was some 15 year old kid as CG (technically MOD) with no guidance when I started.

I guess the most basic things are...does a person have skills that staff currently needs, does that person have a personality that would not hinder/cause conflicts within the team, is that person reliable and follow through with what they say they will do, is that person proactive, how informed is that person, etc. I'm fairly strict about this. If a person is unreliable, too easily riled up, I can tell they are only motivated to get a tag, or they share a completely different vision for the game's future from our team (to the point that it would conflict), I pass. This probably seems pretty basic but you'd be surprised how many people lack too many of these qualities for me to consider.

I think I can tell an example that happened years ago and so doesn't apply to anyone here currently...there was a polite, conversational player who was knowledgeable about PWO and adapted their suggestions well to staff limitations (which is always a huge plus), but outside of the initial discussion didn't want to follow through with the tedious grunt-work or research required to get that idea rolling. While they were a good influence within the community due to their positivity and ability to rationalize, there wasn't a reason to hire them if they weren't going to follow through; they made a good player, but they would still only make a good player as a staff member. Same for if a person isn't proactive, because with our limited manpower I can't go around (for lack of better term) "babysitting" people. I also can't just accept all the project ideas and just pile them onto myself or somebody else within staff, because we all have a bunch of stuff to do as-is...no matter how good or reasonable the blueprint/idea is. Also...so many people ask me "how do I become staff." Then, when I tell them where/how to apply, they say they will and then never do it. Why would I hire somebody who is too lazy to even post a forum message or even PM somebody I suggested they talk to?

When I hire people like that, they don't hurt anything but tend to not contribute much, which on paper looks like we "break even." But remember we spend hours training people so overall we lose weeks to a month of time we couldn't have put into updates. Hence why I am so analytical about people on an individual level, and why I have specific standards.

If somebody is pushing way too hard for the position (to the point of butting in without consideration or constantly tooting their own horn), it makes me wonder if they wanted the opportunity of staff to do more good or if they just like having a tag. Not that wanting a position is bad; I wanted CG, I wanted Admin to an extent, it just depends why a person wants a position, and the way we know why they want it depends on how they treat other people. It's not hard to filter this out tbh. When I hire people who are just putting on a face, they get bored and drop off the face of the earth, abuse their power, or they aimed for a staff to try and "change us from the inside" to match their own vision from the game with little respect for everyone else on the team and little understanding of why we chose the path we have.

I will absolutely say this can apply to people who seem good but under observation and subtle tests do not match their early impressions. I might seem silly in chat but everything I say or do usually has a reason or goal behind it.

EDIT: I would like to add that just because a staff member is quiet doesn't mean they are inactive. Some of us (like Fonty and I here) like spending time explaining things in forum posts, but that doesn't mean we are or are not doing our jobs. I've had staff members who made things a pain internally because they spent too much time goofing off with players/talking big but not doing the priorities we set internally (which I would define as inactive, because they are not doing work even if their visibility makes players -think- they are active). If that's not how you're determining activity from a player perspective, I'd like to know what you are making these judgements on.

EDIT 2: If a staff member is psuedo-inactive by only contributing every other month, they are still contributing a month's worth of work for free assuming they don't create any drama and have already made up for the time it took to train them, just for info. May seem kind of spotty and annoying, but it is a net gain for the game, which means it would hurt PWO to fire people for that kind of record. FURTHERMORE, If somebody is inactive or only psuedo active, we don't have a "max number" of staff per position, so it doesn't keep other people from getting that position either. The system absolutely doesn't work like "Well Rig is inactive, but Rig has taken up the Admin slot, so we can't hire anyone else for admin. What a shame!" To be frank, it is rather silly that you feel the need to warn us of how stupid a system like that would be.

If you look at a web archive, you'll see some people didn't make the inactivity check lately, as well. ;l

I could seriously go on forever about this subject. Don't tempt me. :(

Georgelzr

Ok ,give us a list of all the admins in this game,and we ll talk after that.Just write every single name in here

Klay

Youngster
The Admins are Blue, Jinji and Riga.

And the idea of removing staff members to bring new ones is stupid. That would be like taking back experimented bricks of a building to replace them by new ones, probably inexperienced and eventually less "active" in the development of the game than in their playtime.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Georgelzr said:

Georgelzr said:
Then aim for new players in your staff,there are many good and active players,we are kinda bored of this excuses with ,,we have stuff to do” and ,,we got our own life,we are vounteers”.Ok we ve heard that like 100 times per week,but nobody keeps you in here,nobody forces you to do that,if u got better stuff to do,then just leave like i said.
I ve seen many posts with good ideas not even one implemented and also i ve seen people who wanted to join staff ,but they are not there yet and pbbly quited the ideea of being in there.
As i told u ,all of the inactive admins take us to inactive players and a boring game.Please leave the admins postions if u got better things to do ,for sure there will be new people ,we don t need inactive things or people ,we had enough.
If you re inactive and you are admin,you should quit,no matter how many good things you ve done in the past,set free a place for another new active and able to continue the better things you were doing in the past,that is how we will improve.But i ve seen the same admins for like 3 years,and they are still there,still inactive,and we got bored of excuses.We know you put a hard work,all of you,but the ones who are inactive ,shoud leave as i said and let others.

I never said we 'had better stuff to do'- the way you say it makes it sound like we are the ones that are bored not you. I said real life things can get in the way of deadlines because staff have to pay bills, and accidents happen, health issues arise- things we have to attend to. We are staff because we love the game and want it to progress, the same as you. I've already said we are taking on new staff this year as and when we can. But we can't just take anyone in- that has also caused problems in the past- and even those we choose that pass our checks don't always want to, or have the time to become staff. I also said that we have an enforced inactivity policy, so the issues you are raising just aren't there. You want progress, we all want it, and it's happening as fast as it can.

Georgelzr

No it s not happening,and Bluerise,the admin who told that i am stupid,it s ok to curse a player ?
You re putting checks unable to be passed by people who are really capable,you re just selecting them by being nice to you and say the way you re saying things .We need active staff,and the inactive admins won t leave,just add others ,we need to improve this game,today like yesterday ane the day before yestarday were 12 players active for more than 3 hours,and are you doing something,we don t see nothing,pbbly u re hinding you re work from us ,cuz is 0 ,maybe that s why.We need active admins for active players

Klay

Youngster
Georgelzr said:
No it s not happening,and Bluerise,the admin who told that i am stupid,it s ok to curse a player ?
You re putting checks unable to be passed by people who are really capable,you re just selecting them by being nice to you and say the way you re saying things .We need active staff,and the inactive admins won t leave,just add others ,we need to improve this game,today like yesterday ane the day before yestarday were 12 players active for more than 3 hours,and are you doing something,we don t see nothing,pbbly u re hinding you re work from us ,cuz is 0 ,maybe that s why.We need active admins for active players

If you think any staff member is breaking any rules, you can report him/her. But according to the search tool in forums, he never did in there.

And instead of being rude with people (I'm still upset that someone, who already insulted me under cover for no reason, can come and ask me several times to show him some poks without even say "hi" nor "thanks") and saying without any proof staff members don't do their "job", you could start by apply some self-analysis and enjoy the game as it is right now. Unless you want to keep complaining, if it's your definition of "having fun".

Nshims

Georgelzr said:

It's always better to do things right than to do them fast.
It has been said that a recruit of new members is in progress, it is not worth to force things.
It's not like new administrators would imply new players, also does not guarantee that recruited members will be useful to the game.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
As a further rebuttal to certain claims that we "aren't looking into people", I'd just like to note that we as a team are regularly looking at our Player base; and considering various people for Apprenticeships in whatever roles are required. However, part of our considerations involve the behaviour of the players being considered. We believe that if a player knew in advance, before the Apprenticeship were offered, that they were being looked into, this knowledge may impact their behaviour and they would begin acting in a way that is not a true reflection of their actual selves. For this and many other reasons, we never discuss who we are looking into or when - just know that if you find a PM in your inbox one day about accepting an Apprenticeship, you'll know you've made the grade ;)