lvl 100 pokes

kurtisbmx

hey its kurtisbmx here just asking some questions :).
why can we not raise pokemon to lvl 100 in my mind lvl 100 is max not 99 and u feel so much better about it when u raise pokes to lvl 100.

what do u all think let me know :D

Naero

The level cap was originally set at 100, but after an overhaul in the experience system, it was reduced to testing purposes. It has gradually been lifted since, and is still intended to be lifted at 100 - if not higher - at some point.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I hope this isn't considered generalizing, but I'm pretty certain many staff disagree with making the cap over 100 at this point.

At least, to me, it seems gimmicky and doesn't really add much except "OMG OVE RLEVEL 100 COOL ZOMG." No offense intended, I just don't see how it adds any value to the game.

Naero

It has been hinted that the level cap would expand beyond 100 by some staff members before (of whom I won't cite). However, this was in the distant past, and the plan was never set in stone, so perhaps the majority is not devising any post-100 level cap at this present time.

The only purpose I could theorize for any post-100 level cap is for scaling purposes; those who have completed 2 preceding regions have already encountered NPC Pokemon leveled in the 80s, and thus there isn't a broad level cap between their 16th gym opponent and all of the Hoenn gyms a progressively harder challenge. It would diminish the post-Kanto/Johto gym challenges throughout the course of Hoenn if players typically have level 80/90+ Pokemon in their possession, matched up against level 100 Pokemon at best. Due to the rigorous experience system, I still wouldn't concede to that logic unless some tweaks were made to the formula (or at least the "experience gained" formula, so wild Pokemon yield more experience to commensurate better for your exp requirements).

Even so, a better route of action is for players to forcefully deposit all of their Pokemon when they travel to Hoenn for example, and start afresh and select a new starter Pokemon, and the leveling scale would start from scratch again. They would not have the option to withdraw Pokemon obtained from previous regions they ventured in as long as they are on Hoenn grounds. Some tweaks would have to be made to the PC storage system of course (as it's mechanically considered an extension of your party at this point, not allowing you to "deposit/withdraw" but "swap" Pokemon instead), and some may disagree with this - just voicing my theories for any possible reason for a post-100+ level cap, and why even that shouldn't be necessitated as well.

accursed1

Youngster
Website
www.xelion.webs.com
If you were to have your pokes "locked" in the pc when you travel to Hoenn, do you think there would be any way that you could use pokes caught there along with your old pokes? Maybe once you got to a certain point in the game?

SViper

Website
www.facebook.com
Level cap is now rising little by little and will be more if 100. Because little by little coming new regions and 100 levels is to low for that lot of regions and gyms will be. And if in game be just 100 levels, game can become boring, them ratings drop and game can be closed

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
accursed1 said:
If you were to have your pokes "locked" in the pc when you travel to Hoenn, do you think there would be any way that you could use pokes caught there along with your old pokes? Maybe once you got to a certain point in the game?

I'm assuming the idea there would be the PC would be unlocked once you beat that region =P
It actually sounded pretty fun to me when I think...shadowwolf? first brought it up.

EDIT: btw, I think the level cap was lowered to discourage hackers. Pretty sure this was announced publicly somewhere on the old forums.
If not, oops I leaked. Not like the information would do any damage.