letters

Tha-Kram

yup, here I am again stating the same as a few months ago
I'm getting a little bored avoiding all chats since that new font update
isn't there any way to get rid of that black shadow thingy around the letters?
I gave it enough time to settle, but didn't really help
maybe make it an option in the skin file so people could edit it themselves

mvg
~Mark~

Tha-Kram

ehm, you seem to be new here
this update was from earlier this year, where they changed the font

ok, not the best shots because i made them from youtube videos

before

after

I would like to see the firest one back ingame, maybe optional but it was way better to read back then

Glaceon01

Banned
xD I've been here for four years...I've just never been bothered by the change of the font....tbh I don't understand what the problem is...just seems like you want preference...it's not as transparent, but I don't think it can really effect your game play.

Maideza

I could change the background of the chat for you, if you want.. Lighter/darker/etc..

Glaceon01

Banned
Tbh I just don't really understand your problem..both of the chats look perfectly fine to me..maybe I'm missing something.

Nikola

Youngster
Tha_Kram said:
yup, here I am again stating the same as a few months ago
I'm getting a little bored avoiding all chats since that new font update
isn't there any way to get rid of that black shadow thingy around the letters?
I gave it enough time to settle, but didn't really help
maybe make it an option in the skin file so people could edit it themselves

mvg
~Mark~

You can make that happen easy, depends. Fonts are located in GFX folder. C/Program Files/ Pokemon World Online/ GFX.
In this "GFX" folder you will see a 3 .png images. You can manipulate with them as you wish. you can change colors of them also you can make that black shadow around each letter disappear by editing it via Photoshop for example. Just zoom image enough to see those black pixels. And after you made a selection of black area just cut that part only white part will left. If you change a black color into white your letters ingame will be very bold. Just make that black color transparent by cutting a black part from it.

Tha-Kram

thanks Darcia, I'll try that!
already know how to make all letters black, but that doesn't look too good either :p

@Glaceon
idk, but it really bothers me
maybe because I'm colorblind and my eyes are more focused on contrast instead of color
the new chat made me see 2 letters at the same time, which looks more chaotic to me than the old font

Glaceon01

Banned
Oh I'm sorry I'm an idiot I totally excluded possible variables..I didn't know you were color blind..well, that's another suggestion for the pwo staff team..make an option in which makes it easier to view for color blind people, it would probably be difficult though.

Tha-Kram

you don't really have to look at colors ingame, so it's not that important
shinies have this giant S in front of their name, and sparkles, so you don't have to depend on color there
and if they do ask colorful questions, they are usually straight from bulbapedia or so :p

I'm still struggling with the font
first try went well, till I had to do the small letters
then I had to enlarge the image again and did the edited letters get weird greyish
then I tried some other things, like renaming Font2 but that didnt work either :(

tomorrow I'll try to paint it again, but then make the whole picture twice as large so I can edit the small letters and the capitals
already figured out how to get it transparant again, because saving it in paint made it untransparant :S
and I don't have any other programs to edit the pixels

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
You aren't alone, I dislike the new font as well.

However, I don't have a specific reason, it just gives me a headache. I seem to be alone on the opinion, though, so I don't really poke at it because I suppose I complain enough about other things xP

Let me know if you have luck with editing it. I'm interested, as well.

LunaticJames

Content maker
I have actually played around with editing fonts before the update in January, I had figured out how to change the fonts completely.

After looking at this thread, i tried the same method again.
p9WVj.png

It didn't work, i'll try and find another way later, but it is pretty much how Darcia described it above.

Tha-Kram

i got foggy letters, even though they are very clear when you see them in picture manager
the program has some sort of lay-out designed for those letters, so the new font gets resized and rescheduled and gets unreadable

game was up whole day, so didn't really work on it today
but the game is down now, so I'll try a quick font
named fontq :p

the thing is that you can edit the pixels, but then it loses its transparacy
so you put the background only in a different color, like yellow
to get transparacy back, you could use word, edit the picture and, well you should know that XD
idk how to explain that in english
but after using word for transparacy, copy the picture and paste it in picture viewer

o yea, dont forget to save the paint file as a png
then delete the original font (leave a copy in the PWO map, just not in the GFX) and paste the new font
edit the name so its called "font" now, just like the old one

that's how I'm doing it atm
tried typing all letters out in word, made a screenshot and posted that as a font but that didnt work out too well :p

lol, I totally forgot about this XD
well, it looks ok to me, so here it is

server is up, so I checked the updated font:

apparently when I made it larger, it didn't fit well in word so it got partially copied instead of the whole font
and now there are letters missing + the shape of the font file isnt 256 x 256 as it should be
or at least squarish, didnt really check that yet

going for most edited post:
not gonna post the ss this time, but I can tell you it got a lot blurier than the normal font
I made the picture smaller in word, which decreased the quality too much

Maideza

Would it help if background was brighter or darker?

Working on a skin, and would definitely try make it easier for colour blind people, to see it...

Tha-Kram

with the normal letters it doesn't really matter, since they have their own black-white contrast
the blue background is good enough, but it shouldn't be too much brighter i think
yellow wouldn't be the best background either, unless you make it darker yellow/goldish

it's hard to say, since I usually don't care about colors, only about the contrast between them

Maideza

I thought about something, which might solve it... However, I can't log in to test it.

Will let you know :)

Tha-Kram

same problem here
edited in a slightly different order, but haven't been able to test it yet :(

EDIT:
it works!
it looks better now, or at least the letters I edited look better :)
made a SS of it but for some reason it got all blurry :S
g2g now, its getting late and I have a busy morning ahead of me...