Lets discuss staff laziness. Lack of updates

The-Joker

HitmonFonty said:
1. They need to be trained by current GE staff who already have their hands full and - 
2. We certainly don't have time to teach them Xanascript which will be useless after the conversions anyway. And
3. has already been mentioned, even if we do find someone they have to pass our security checks or we have a bigger risk of them breaking the game- again. 

1. yes agree about that, but this is to be thought of in the future.
2. Obviously !
3. i agree, but GE's don't need so many power for a possible break the game.......

[font=Roboto, sans-serif][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]4[/color][/font]

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
LOL agreed shodan, the guy just seems to be rambling.

LunaticJames

Content maker
The-Joker said:
HitmonFonty said:
1. They need to be trained by current GE staff who already have their hands full and - 
2. We certainly don't have time to teach them Xanascript which will be useless after the conversions anyway. And
3. has already been mentioned, even if we do find someone they have to pass our security checks or we have a bigger risk of them breaking the game- again. 

1. yes agree about that, but this is to be thought of in the future.
2. Obviously !
3. i agree, but GE's don't need so many power for a possible break the game.......

Just to note, GE's normally have different powers depending on their speciality.

All the powers I have as Artist are basically to allow me to any map to test out things, and to grant NPC's battle sprites. Not really that much as a vast majority of my testing comes from just replacing sprites over existing ones which I did before being staff. People probably noticed that Meowth was a Vanillish a few updates ago, cos I was testing new things and forgot to change it back.

Composers have very similar powers as Artists.

Mappers are next in line and have ability to directly upload maps to the server, and also create spawns.

Scripters have all the above powers, but also have the ability to input NPC's into the game, which can grant the following privileges.
- Spawn Pokemon. And if it's Shiny.
- Spawn Money, and also take money away. 
- Spawn Event vouchers
- Spawn Items. Such as unreleased TM's
- Auto complete quests by changing variables outside the quest NPC's
- Create NPC's that will teleport anyone anywhere. Hello Rollercoaster of unending Doom.

All those abilities come from a single Staff command for Scripters, which is the entire reason they're hired. In the past it has been abused, but there is no possible way of nerfing that command as it the entire basis for Scripters existing. I guarantee Tasigur has broken the test server numerous times while trying to get things to work. Monster mrr >>

0Diesel0

Everyone just needs to take a chill pill. This back and forth is the exact reason I left Discord.

Rigaudon

Youngster
I want to clarify that scripters can't set spawns on maps, that is a map GE specialty. : )

The main problem with just finding more qualified people is that, when it comes to scripting, I find they tend to not show off. Those that do show off will only settle for Dev and/or have behavioral problems that would create conflict in staff. IE: Not being able to take constructive criticism, not communicating effectively, not understanding necessary, fundamental design choices (failing to grasp cause and effect in an MMO setting)...or not being respectful of existing staff at all and just wanting to "do better" than us. Example being "I want to be staff to make all shinies 28+ again", and then are unable to or refuse to understand why we made that change in the first place. My favorites are the people who insult us and then tell us to make them staff, rofl.

Ignoring the menagerie of problems potential recruits can have, the only people who train scripters effectively without horrifically delaying the update schedule are Tasi and Reli, and Tasi has given his 2 cents here about his own struggles with his workloads.

If other people are willing to try and volunteer for that scripting position, recruitment -is- always open. Post the code of a small program you made in any language (though Lua is obviously a bonus) on the showcase forums. Even just homework from class would be fine, as long as it's a little more complicated than rock/paper/scissors.

Tasi would probably have to tell you what concepts he'd want to see but obviously things like a grasp on basic loops, arrays, and lists would be a safe bet.

yuno44907

Is Rollout have 90 power in this game? If it is buggy what about Furry Cutter? Where is list of bugs and wrong things?

Paarthurnax~

yuno44907 said:
Is Rollout have 90 power in this game? If it is buggy what about Furry Cutter? Where is list of bugs and wrong things?

These are the only broken moves http://pwo-wiki.info/index.php/Broken_Moves

Paarthurnax~

yuno44907 said:
Is yawn have %25 accuracy not 75? And wiki is not updated.

The wiki is fine and updated, anything you find on there should/will be correct.

yuno44907

Are some moves not same with original Pokemon, if rollout dealing 90 damage doubling each turn isnt it strongest move? Normally it deals 30 damage. And furry cutter not 20 in last generation it is 40 and i still dont use it.

shodan21

Youngster
yuno44907 said:
Are some moves not same with original Pokemon, if rollout dealing 90 damage doubling each turn isnt it strongest move? Normally it deals 30 damage. And furry cutter not 20 in last generation it is 40 and i still dont use it.

thats just a display thing - multi-hit moves with variable power are displayed with an average power.  rollout does in fact start at 30 and increase with each successive hit.

now stop derailing this ENTIRE FORUM with your nitpicking of things that work fine.

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
I will remind everyone once more to please stay on the topic

Future~Sight

Youngster
Website
www.matmartinez.net
How close will Lua bring us to the competition? Will it make PWO capable of competing with the top Pokemon MMOs? Can it take us from 40 to thousands of players? If not, what will? If nothing, are we just waiting for a day when we pull the shutter down on this game?

At this point, new events, maps or even entire regions cannot bring PWO back to the top. Content is not lacking. The entire game needs a visual overhaul along with the capacity to truly grow. If we cannot have half of the stuff that a pokemon game is supposed to due to "client restrictions" then we will forever be that "classic gameboy-style pokemon mmorpg that once had a good community".
Is Lua the thing that will make that change? Or will it just allow us to make a couple more quests, make better NPCs and add some berry trees?

Recruitment is something i know both sides struggle with. The players think without an active and continuously engaged workforce, nothing will change (they aren't wrong) while the staff has their hands full with their personal lives and various PWO projects. Not to forget the very limited set of less than 100 players to choose from. The training process itself is extremely time consuming (something that could be cut down honestly) and every candidate is a risk - both due to the reasons Pansy illustrated and also whether or not we'll get returns on our investment. I myself was unable to contribute to the best of my potential. Some recruits after months of evaluation and training end up leaving after a few weeks. This is a vicious cycle that has delayed several projects and growth over the years.

But recruitment is not the only answer. In any case, what's the point of recruiting people if their efforts will at the end sum up to nothing?
If new staff members are just creating swarm events or even major events, where is it taking us? Even if they are creating new maps and regions, where is it taking us? Let's say we add Sevii tomorrow. Where will that take us? Will it really make people leave other games and permanently come back to a world with outdated graphics and crucial elements not working?

In all honesty, WHY should a person looking to play an online Pokemon game pick PWO over any other?

I'm hoping i can get various members of the community including the admins to answer some of these questions from their perspective.

Mindless

Youngster
My oh my, that was quite the read. Informative, funny, and a whole lot of hate.

As a player that's been here for nearing 10 years, I've seen a lot of ups and downs. Some staff have done some great things while others have done a lot of harm (refer to Zidonuke (click). Honestly, I've lost a lot of the initial interest that I used to have in this game though that came as a result of my life and some of my closer playing friends leaving rather than the game itself. This was despite the game losing ground after going through issue after issue after issue as well as losing staff/players. I play because I like to interact with people and this game was very enjoyable for me. The nostalgia and fun yet small community keep me looming around these parts. While the community has dwindled down by a significant margin since the olden/early days of pwo, it's still pretty fun and though most of my friends played years ago I'd rather play the current game simply due to all the progress that's been made. Sure, it's slow but that's been touched on here and as always it should be taken into consideration that staff does not get paid to do this so it's done on their own free time. Not a single one of them is a teen living at home with mom and dad and has no job/school. They have lives just as most of us so finding time to do this can be scarce most times and yet here we are, seeing them stick through it despite all the criticism. I'd be naive to think I know anything of what goes on behind closed doors with staff but being a long time player, the current group is a good group of people who want to help make this game better. It's not always mentioned but some of do appreciate what staff does. I'd like to continue playing until this game dies just to see where it goes even if it takes years (PWO4Lyfe).

Why should someone pick this game over the next one that has more visuals/players/staff/pizazz? At the moment, I'm not sure I could give a convincing answer aside from my personal opinion. Fact of the matter is, our game has been dying. Lua sounds great and all but we truly won't know how well it does until it's rolled out. I'd like to see PWO rise back up, see a surging community again even if it's only us older millennials.

Unsure of how stupid this may sound/hard it may be, but maybe (big maybe) work on switching everything over with all the new work for the next region to be released at once (gyms and maps mainly) and pause any additions to Xana. Put a realistic timetable (I know, life happens) but make sure the community is well aware of this halt on further updates and/or events to the current game. Just spit-balling here and I know nothing about coding/server-side things so you know..don't laugh too hard.

funny-pictures-dynamite-kitty-0n0co.jpg