IVs and EVs

Takizawa

So here's my beef with the current system: with no breeding (and I'm not advocating that breeding be implemented, it does wacky things to the in game economy) it seems really difficult to find pokemon with solid IVs. On top of that, with no EVs in use it makes the game less skill based. I would like to see it changed so that all pokemon have perfect IVs and open EVs. I think you should be able to get an EV in any area from any pokemon (ex. take down caterpie, have an option of getting 1 EV in either HP, SPD, ATK, etc.). This prevents people from killing 252 of a single type of pokemon just to get a particular EV. With perfect IVs if you put two of the same pokemon up against each other, the difference will be determined by level (obviously), EV distribution, moveset, and held item. Time to separate the men from the boys from the absurdly lucky.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
May I suggest you to play a battle simulator instead? It's still too soon for evs because too many moves are broken. As for the 31iv for every pokemon, it would defeat the purpose of a mmo

Takizawa

I understand that it may be too soon for EVs but how does perfect IVs defeat the purpose of an mmo? Without breeding mechanisms or EVs, whether or not your pokemon are good in battle is not really determined by skill...

The-Predator

Youngster
As kai said u should Go to a battle simulator as it is way too different from MMOs what would be the point of hunting? And economy? Many of the players in here, their only goal is to hunt for unique pokemon with unique IVs, perfecto IVs would totally ruin PWO

Takizawa

The hunting/economy feature would likely be centered around the rarity of the pokemon and high level pokemon that are less effective would likely be sold to lower level players to help them advance faster. Who likes hunting for hours hoping to win the pokemon lottery. It's why botting is such a problem in these games.

Nexace

Website
www.ignispc.com
This doesn't address the issue of veteran players that want to battle other players. It would ruin end game unfortunately.

Takizawa

As far as end game goes, it doesn't ruin it but rather makes it better. More planning yields higher win ratios, there are plenty of potentially exceptional teams with perfect stats. I think the real issue is that the game would cease to be pay to win if IVs were equal. "Pros" can't buy their place at the top in that system :p

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
That's not it. If we want to battle using flawless pokemon we go to a battle simulator and do just that. On a mmo it simply makes no sense. And if I was to apply a reverse thought process to this, then it could be said you want every pokemon to be flawless so you don't have to go through the time and effort it took other players to build what they have.

Takizawa

The reason I play the mmo is to have fun leveling the best pokemon available while picking optimal movesets for them at the time. It makes sense to have optimal choices available to players to set apart those who know how to play, from those who don't. If you want to make the game fair, IVs either need to be equal or breeding needs to be implemented (I can deal with either). It's a balance between the simulator and playing the game boy game itself. The time and effort comes with the research as to what moves are optimal given the implemented moves and pokemon. And no, I'm not going to waste weeks looking for something that has less than 0.1% chance of being found. I'm not going to drop a bunch of money to buy a pokemon like that either. I have a life outside of this game. As for "reverse thought process", perhaps you meant reverse psychology? I don't know but neither makes much sense. ???

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
Takizawa said:
And no, I'm not going to waste weeks looking for something that has less than 0.1% chance of being found. I'm not going to drop a bunch of money to buy a pokemon like that either.

It's clear to me now that you don't understand how a mmorpg works. I'm not going to bother saying anything else because it'd be no more than a waste of time and words

Jinga

kaiser6tn said:
Takizawa said:
And no, I'm not going to waste weeks looking for something that has less than 0.1% chance of being found. I'm not going to drop a bunch of money to buy a pokemon like that either.

It's clear to me now that you don't understand how a mmorpg works. I'm not going to bother saying anything else because it'd be no more than a waste of time and words

Yeah i agree with you man in mmo you spend more time to get what you want so if you dont wanna spend time just play the handhelds

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
People are right in this topic that the pure RNG of finding rare pokemon causes a lot of problems in PWO, sure there should be top level loot (the rare and high IV pokemon) but one thing I've always tried to push is ways to get pokemon outside of regular hunting. Stuff that would still not be easy to get, but ones that you could see your progress towards and always have something to work towards rather than relying on your luck.

Saric

Youngster
Friko said:
.......how is it pay to win?
You're not going to get anywhere in the market, and by proxy anywhere in the battle scene unless you shell out real life cash for either tokens to sell, or membership for hunting your own or daycaring.

It's inevitable unless you get really lucky somewhere down the line and find something really rare that you can sell for quite a bit.