is this against the rules?

pyroamber

if a player removed the : after their name in chat and put a guild tag and : but they aren't actually in the guild just writing it in wouldn't this be impersonation?
ex:
playersname<tag>: blablabla

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
you do realize impersonation is only for people impersonating staff right? and to answer your question, no its not.

mad30

Youngster
impersonation of another person is considered fraud by the united states gov (cant speak for other govs but assume its the same) and there forth should be treated as breaking a rule by pwo.

u werent accepted by the guild, they dont want you, you shouldnt be allowed to pretend u are apart of the guild

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
mad30 said:
impersonation of another person is considered fraud by the united states gov (cant speak for other govs but assume its the same) and there forth should be treated as breaking a rule by pwo.

u werent accepted by the guild, they dont want you, you shouldnt be allowed to pretend u are apart of the guild
thats nonsense, at least 100 people have the same user name but different variations. impersonation in real life, is completely incomparable to the internet.

furthermore, this isnt even classified as impersonation. you aren't impersonating anybody, you're posing as a guild member for like one sentence? something that pwo users have been doing as jokes since 2009. thats like crips trying to sue a person for trying to claim they are a crip. you cant sue/arrest a person for pretending like they are part of a group.

mad30

Youngster
Bis_Eastwood said:
mad30 said:

thats nonsense, at least 100 people have the same user name but different variations. impersonation in real life, is completely incomparable to the internet.

furthermore, this isnt even classified as impersonation. you aren't impersonating anybody, you're posing as a guild member for like one sentence? something that pwo users have been doing as jokes since 2009. thats like crips trying to sue a person for trying to claim they are a crip. you cant sue/arrest a person for pretending like they are part of a group.

copying someones name, while not directly impersonating CAN be impersonation base on your INTENT. if you just happen to have a similar name because of coincidence and/or its a generic name, not thats not impersonation. but you have a similar name and you are TRYING to have others believe you are a different person that is impersonation.

Also lawl gangs. i can give you an example that works in my favor as well. claiming your a firefighter is fraud (try filling out a tax return claiming it and not being true). claiming you work for a company you dont actually work for is fraud.

once again, it should be determined by intent. is the person trying to be malicious for any reason?

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
considering a pwo guild is most like a gang (its not an official organization(in this case ran by pwo), just a bunch of friends grouped together) unlike a firefighter who is in an official organized group run by the city, your example is irrelevant and asinine.

you seem to miss the concept of a guild. its not like a company, its not an organization run by the city. you get no benefits from claiming you are from said guild (like monetary benefits on tax returns). a guild is basically a gang. (a gang isnt a negative connotation, although it mostly is used as such).

therefore, it should be treated like one. there is no law claiming you cant claim you are part of said gang. there are street ramifications, but no law involved. police wouldnt get involved or i wouldnt get sued if i claimed i was a west side crip. neither should gms get involved if someone is claiming to be apart of a guild. the ignorant masses have been informed. you are all welcome.

mad30

Youngster
in terms of pwo, guilds are offical when they are recognized by the playerdex. theres 2 types of guilds in pwo, those that have meet the requirements and applied on pdex, and those who have not. you cant get more offical than being recognized as by the game. theres a reason ppl go "when we get enough money we are going to become offical"

also, my city has a volunteer figherfighting group. they are not paid by the government and are funded soley by donations the city helps them out by providing water. as a volunteer firefighter my father is given a small tax deduction. so i believe ur belief that the firefighter analogy is irrelevant is slightly misplaced.

however i will ask, what would it take for a guild to be seen as offical for you?

the question is, if a person does damage to a guild's reputation, will anything be done about it? Damage will still have happened even if the guild members as a whole didn't do anything to deserve it. talk about slander.

whether or not its official, if somebody does something bad with that, what would staff do?
i feel like whether its defined as impersonation or not, thats still malicious intent and the person should be held accountable for their actions.

but if no damage was done to the guild's rep, then I don't think it should be punished...

Merse

Youngster
You are guilty in fraud no matter what or who you are impersonating. The person/organization doesn't have to be official, the only thing that matters that because of your action, someone will think that he interacted with the person, or the member of the organization you're impersonating. You could pose as your father when you get the mail from the postman, it's still a fraud. You could pose like a guild member, as the guild's image is determined by the image of its members, it's a fraud.

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
Merse said:
You are guilty in fraud no matter what or who you are impersonating. The person/organization doesn't have to be official, the only thing that matters that because of your action, someone will think that he interacted with the person, or the member of the organization you're impersonating. You could pose as your father when you get the mail from the postman, it's still a fraud. You could pose like a guild member, as the guild's image is determined by the image of its members, it's a fraud.
You cant compare individuals to a group. I'll bring up the gang comparison again.

Merse

Youngster
It works even for gangs. If a group of individuals can be distinguished from the rest of the community by certain characteristics, and someone tries to pretend being one of them to influence the community's opinion toward that group in any way, he is guilty in fraud.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Right, I'm just going to say my piece here. If this is happening the first thing you should do is ask them to stop, whether its against the rules or not it's still not a nice thing to do and them refusing to follow your request means it starts to become something more. If the person in quetsion is using it to damage a person's or a guilds reputation then I personally believe that it is a punishable offense and could come under this rule:

Do Not harass any other players or the staff either via Private Messaging or in game chat.

Respect should not be limited to staff members but to each of your fellow players. I don't really feel there's a need to brind discussions of gangs into this topic.

thanks choco

also, i feel like it does work in gangs anyway. say you have a guy who is pretending to be a member of the crips. he goes and harasses the bloods "in the name of the crips," and the bloods think he is actually a crip member. do you think the bloods will shrug that off? im pretty sure that would start a conflict between the two groups.

but most guilds who would care arent even like gangs. they dont opperate on sketchy crimes. they're more like the boxing club or reading club down the street. so having somebody say they're from the "boxing club" and is wearing an official "boxing club" T-shirt, who then goes to the town's square and start harassing innocent bystandards with...say...seeexual or insultive comments won't look good on the them!

So i don't understand that point. =S But maybe I should drop it. too late i guess, though.

BRGodEastwood

Youngster
Banned
you seem to fail to understand my point that police or the law dont get involved in their spats. you guys are taking it too far out of the context in which the question was asked.. also not once did the OP mention harassment or slandering the groups name. They just asked if its against the rules for someone else to jokingly put a guild tag infront of their name.

also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud

well, not arguing to be difficult, i just like discussing and the topic is an interesting "what if."
And yeah ur right about the joking part. that's why i said I didn't think joking wouldnt be an issue but malicious intended would be.

did some research, and it looks like for criminal impersonation to be a crime, you have to prove damages were done and that the person had malicious intent.
i think to encompass an apropriate punishment it, WOULD have to go under a ban for harassment as choco said. =/ With the impersonator harassing the chat users while under the guild tag name...

Colemillionaire15

Guys.... come on. Seriously.

Tell the person to stop. If they don't stop, ignore them. Eventually they WILL stop because they just want attention. Grow up.
Quit trying to get everyone banned/punished for the most idiotic things.

#annoyed

pyroamber

cole this is general not community watch no ones trying to get anyone banned I was just asking a question