Internet Doomsday

Mangos

cyy5113

Yup, this news is true, people just don't believe until they had problem.

Mangos

Thanks for confirming for me. I feel really bad that people keep being mean just for trying to help.

G

I think its a fake i think it a scare factor the goverment trying to pull to freak people out whos doing stuff wrong to draw them out.

G

Originally read the topic, but was more interested in OP's signature because I've never used a drop shadow like that.

Anyway, just a heads up for people doing this, you might want to access your router [most routers can be accessed from 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1, and finally generally for netgear you can access it from routerlogin.net, just type these in your URL bar until you get one that works], use your login [if it's default, it will be on the bottom of your router], and make sure your DNS settings are set to auto, or something along those lines. These websites they're redirecting you to will only check your computer.

Also, ichigomewmew, nothing about this "scare" would cause anyone to come out about their "criminal activites". DNS redirection is pretty useless. Pretty much, what this "maleware" does is redirects all traffic to one of those 20-50 botnet servers. So no matter if you goto google.com or yahoo.com, or whatever, it redirects you to the botnet server, hence not loading anything.

crenel

Youngster
ichigomewmew said:
I think its a fake i think it a scare factor the goverment trying to pull to freak people out whos doing stuff wrong to draw them out.
Uh, no. It's definitely real. I wouldn't have cleaned a virus off of six computers this year if it wasn't a real thing/threat...

Follow the advice on this website under the removal section to find some powerful cleanup tools. You should run them even if this (us link, others in first link) says your system is clean.

Mangos

Orito said:
Originally read the topic, but was more interested in OP's signature because I've never used a drop shadow like that.

Anyway, just a heads up for people doing this, you might want to access your router [most routers can be accessed from 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1, and finally generally for netgear you can access it from routerlogin.net, just type these in your URL bar until you get one that works], use your login [if it's default, it will be on the bottom of your router], and make sure your DNS settings are set to auto, or something along those lines. These websites they're redirecting you to will only check your computer.

Also, ichigomewmew, nothing about this "scare" would cause anyone to come out about their "criminal activites". DNS redirection is pretty useless. Pretty much, what this "maleware" does is redirects all traffic to one of those 20-50 botnet servers. So no matter if you goto google.com or yahoo.com, or whatever, it redirects you to the botnet server, hence not loading anything.

lol drop shadows in gimp are super easy... and look hella clean <3

And yea thanks crenel. Just wanted to help people out incase they hadnt seen it on the media yet. Never know what you got on your pc's these days

Waam

Pfft, this is for people with Malware infected PCs. (AKA, not me.)

Nothing to see here, move along.

Mangos

Waam said:

^Comment really needed?

crenel

Youngster
It's affecting Mac and (rarely) Linux/Unix machines too, just to note.

Waam

Mangos said:
Waam said:

^Comment really needed?

It's old news:

http://mobile.hardocp.com/news/2012/05/ ... r_malware/

https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-y ... -rogue-DNS

This was brought to attention last year. MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) already removes the Malware -- The only people that need to worry about this are people with pirated Windows installations. So honestly, if you're running a pirated OS and don't have sufficient AV protection, you deserve to have no Internet access. C:)

Mangos

Waam said:
Mangos said:
Waam said:

^Comment really needed?

It's old news:

http://mobile.hardocp.com/news/2012/05/ ... r_malware/

https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-y ... -rogue-DNS

This was brought to attention last year. MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) already removes the Malware -- The only people that need to worry about this are people with pirated Windows installations. So honestly, if you're running a pirated OS and don't have sufficient AV protection, you deserve to have no Internet access. C:)

Your missing the whole point... things DO happen from time to time. There is always a CHANCE. It happens Monday so i figured i would post it. See the correlation between today and Monday? (2 day difference). Therefor it isn't THAT old of news. People already said its fake so its obvious some people didn't know. Your really quite annoying with how smart you are. Maybe focus that effort into something useful. Your wasting our time.

G

Waam is a troll, Mangos.

Apparently he's never heard of malware taking over antivirus programs. Hell a few years ago people with AVG got screwed by a malware called GreenAV. Completely disabled AVG, and hijacked their DNS.

Waam

Thanks for the jaded compliment, deary. But relax.. Sure, I came off as sounding like an arrogant, snide A-hole in my first post, but you have to realize that you're posting technical information on a forum laden with prepubescent children and people with the English comprehension of a brain dead chimpanzee. (Interaction in the trade channel has led me to these conclusions.)

Hell, I appreciate that you're trying to inform people about the possibility of their machines being infected by this Malware, but your counsel is falling on deaf ears.

@ Orito

You mean people downloaded Malware disguised as legitimate Antivirus software. It didn't just miraculously infect people's machines that were running AVG software. Again, 90% of Malware infections are the end-users fault. Btw, you can't "hijack" a DNS. Sure, you can redirect traffic, but they aren't taking control of the DNS servers. (else they wouldn't need to infect individual PCs.)

Mangos

Waam said:
Thanks for the jaded compliment, deary. But relax.. Sure, I came off as sounding like an arrogant, snide A-hole in my first post, but you have to realize that you're posting technical information on a forum laden with prepubescent children and people with the English comprehension of a brain dead chimpanzee. (Interaction in the trade channel has led me to these conclusions.)

Hell, I appreciate that you're trying to inform people about the possibility if their machines being infected by this Malware, but your counsel is falling on deaf ears.

@ Orito

You mean people downloaded Malware disguised as legitimate Antivirus software. It didn't just miraculously infect people's machines that were running AVG software. Again, 90% of Malware infections are the end-users fault. Btw, you can't "hijack" a DNS. Sure, you can redirect traffic, but they aren't taking control of the DNS servers. (else they wouldn't need to infect individual PCs.)

okay...

crenel

Youngster
Waam said:
Except for the fact that no, those aren't the only people that need to worry about it. It affects Mac osx as well as Windows, for starters, but beyond that I've cleaned it off of legitimate copies of Windows 7 and XP within the past 6 months (the most recent was 7 week ago). It often gets slipped into Flash or Java applications on computers that are running outdated versions of those softwares, or that still have old versions sitting around (especially Java, which still leaves old versions behind when you update it).

It's cool that you think it's old news and all, but the reality is that if it was old news the issue wouldn't have been pushed back twice to give people warning/time to prepare/remove the virus (especially Mac users, who probably aren't used to major viruses on their os yet).

Mangos

crenel said:
Waam said:
Except for the fact that no, those aren't the only people that need to worry about it. It affects Mac osx as well as Windows, for starters, but beyond that I've cleaned it off of legitimate copies of Windows 7 and XP within the past 6 months (the most recent was 7 week ago). It often gets slipped into Flash or Java applications on computers that are running outdated versions of those softwares, or that still have old versions sitting around (especially Java, which still leaves old versions behind when you update it).

It's cool that you think it's old news and all, but the reality is that if it was old news the issue wouldn't have been pushed back twice to give people warning/time to prepare/remove the virus (especially Mac users, who probably aren't used to major viruses on their os yet).
Thank you crenel <3

Merse

Youngster
I'm really looking forward to the 9th of July. Especially because I'm safe :)

Mangos

Merse said:
I'm really looking forward to the 9th of July. Especially because I'm safe :)

TBH, i kinda am too.. just too see how many people it really will effect. I can't help but wonder if this was blown out of proportion. lol