improving PVP and PVE

maadoo

i remember mad30 s post on pve vs pvp in pwo and how PVE is lacking so i had an idea that would make the game more interesting from both a PVP and PVE point of view. my idea is that an official tournament being held every specific date(once every 1 or 2 month) that requires the player to have earned all 16 badges for participation , the winner of this tournament will face an elite 4(NPC) that are super tough with super high lvl pokemon and the user HAS to use only one team for all the 4. if a player loses in the original tournament or to the elite 4, he will lose all his badges and he has to start all over again. if a player beats the elite 4 he will become the champion, and the next challenger who beats the tournament and the elite 4 will have to face him in the end , if the old champion loses then he has to challenge the gyms all over again and win the tournament to rechallenge the new champion.
this would overall make this game more fun , also we could make the gyms a little tougher to make it more of a challenge. and each time a player becomes champion it could be mentioned in his player card that he has won it. what do u you guyz think??:p

Saric

Youngster
maadoo said:
whats so harsh about that?:O
I dont know. maybe this bit?
" my idea is that an official tournament being held every specific date(once every 1 or 2 month) that requires the player to have earned all 16 badges for participation , the winner of this tournament will face an elite 4(NPC) that are super tough with super high lvl pokemon and the user HAS to use only one team for all the 4. if a player loses in the original tournament or to the elite 4, he will lose all his badges and he has to start all over again."

maadoo

well it was just a sugestion to make the game more of a challenge and keep players motivated, besides if u already have a high level team how is losing all your badges such a big issue?? but the tournament plus elite 4 would be a very spicy add up:p
edit: badges in the anime are collected for the sake of entering the pokemon league , if anyone loses in the tournament he has to start over , in the handhelds they are collected to challenge the elite 4 , in PWO they are decorations for our backbacks:p.

T

Taste

well fine if its not harsh then whats the point in losing the badges? There is no logical explanation to why you'd lose your badges... I like the elite four idea, just not that specific part of it.

maadoo

Taste the logic behind the loss of badges( in my own humble opinion ) is that they have served their purpose let me give you an example: a regular unofficial tournament here in pwo usually requires a registration fee to be paid, this fee once u pay it is gone , you don t get it back when you lose, the same in the series the player who wants to enter the pokemon league will give the badges he collected to the host or he keeps them and a new set of badges is required for the next tournament, meaning that he can t use the one s he already have.  on a side note why are you all tripping about the loss of badges? if the badges are collected once then u obviously have a high level team which could easily win them again easily, i just wanted to make it logical in a way.

Naero

As much as I'd advocate an improved PVE system, and generally more challenging gameplay activities, I would have to disagree with the penalty in a loss of badges. In theory, imposing a harsher penalty for losing to the NPCs would exalt an achivement of prevailing against this. However, it seems to be more gruesome than fun if all of the badges are at stake. Although you mentioned that players can easily excel for through the gym sagain, as they typically have potent pokemon in their possession if they acquired the 16 badges originally, many players may still feel indignation in having to obtain 16 badges again if they can no longer access areas that were previously readily accessible for them.

Furthermore, if more uses are implemented for badges in the future, it'll render the badge loss un-plausible. One example is the obedience factor; Pokemon in the handheld games could behave unruly and disobey the trainer's commands, and obtaining more badges could affect their behavior, and more badges were required for higher level Pokemon to be obedient. I can't confirm if this is idealistic to the development staff for the future, let alone feasible anytime soon, but it's an example of how badges can have more value than simply sentimental value/dignified value, and how losing all 16 badges could cross the line between challenging and overkill.

Although I would agree for any venue of a "Pokemon league" to be a staff-hosted tournament, I still have some differing view points to your suggestion. Foremost, a "champion NPC" which you'd battle after emerging victorious in a pvp tournament seems redundant, and it does not play its role befittingly in an MMO media. Having triumped in a tournament consisting of skilled human trainers, an NPC foe simply does not pose a challenge in the same realm as human players. Although the Elite Four played a suitable role in the handheld games, it's because the Pokemon league wholly entailed battling NPC trainers to progress through the next point in the storyline. I can't envision any practical use for an Elite Four in an MMO other than serving as NPC obstacles in a quest to unlock access to new content. Even so, if Elite Four NPCs were battleable by all players (not in relation to your comment, just stating my general viewpoint on their concept in PWO) would diminish the essence of defeating them; to be declared as a Pokemon champion, which wouldn't be meaningful if thousands of other players have accomplished the same feat. Furthermore, you'll get the best degree of challenge from pvp battles, regardless of how advanced AI is for the NPCs. Player battlers simply have more intellectual capabilities and thus are much more strategic and proficient at battling, so the challenge of an NPC trainer would pale in comparison to the finesse skills of a skilled human trainer, and it would essentially be simply a rich source of exp as a post-tournament objective.

My outlook on a "Pokemon League" as a whole is to be a staff-hosted pvp tournament, which occurrs periodically - possibly annually (similar to the Legends Cup), as hosting it on a monthly basis would require more resources to organize it, and it would depreciate the signifiance of excelling at it. A 16 badge qualification, as well as an initial non-refundable entry fee, are requirements that I would agree that you mentioned in your suggestion. As well as bragging rights, and something to denote their achievement on their player card, a coveted prize exclusive to the tournament (like a legendary or something valuable of the same magnitude) may be a recurring prize.

Pokemon league tournament suggestions aside, I do hope to see more PVE obstacles implemented in the game, other than simply gym obstacles + a surfboard requirement. The main synopsis on PWO's storyline is straightforward: Obtaining a badge from one town, advancing to the next to obtain that town's badge, and training your Pokemon in accordance to the gym NPC's levels, until you obtain 8 badges from one region, then you have to save up 200k for a surfboard to travel to the next region and obtain their 8 badges. Additionally, there are a couple of post-game quests to access more potent training areas (namely the Dragons Den and Cerulean Cave). Once a more capable PVE system is in place, which involves instilling an improved NPC system from my knowledge, then hopefully there are more mini-quests and various NPC interaction capabilities (for less primitive NPC obstacles throughout the course of the main storyline) that captivate a player's interest, instead of mindlessly grinding through all 16 gyms + the said post-gym quests. Currently, players are immersed with the pvp scene to so much of an extent that the concept of an improved PVE system does not cross their minds. Their goals are set to basically hunting their preferred Pokemon, developing a dominant full-fledged PVP team, and awaiting an improved battle system; and in reality, an improved PVE system can bring just as much enjoyability to their gameplay experience.

Anyways, not all of my post was not thoroughly formed, and I haven't mentioned everything that I want to (may edit it later to include further details to voice my perspective), but regardless I'm just putting in my 2 cents.

maadoo

Naero i appreciate what you have written in your post , first off when i suggested the loss of badges , it  s on the basis of what badges are worth in the present time in pwo , surely if more importance was giving to them like what you mentioned in your post about pokes not obeying your order then surely losing badges is not feasible . you are right about players being more of a challenge than npcs in that case we could make the elite 4 staff members so i think that would be a great challenge for the normal player, also just to clear something you might have misunderstood about my post  i never stated that there would be a champion NPC , i said that the elite 4 can be npcs with lets say a max lvl team and the champion would be the player who had won the previous championship.the current champion can have a tag next to him CHAMP or it could be stated on his playercard.