How to make "easy" money into the game?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The in-game money cap for PWO is 999,999,999. "Billions" would be a gross overstatement.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
The in-game money cap for PWO is 999,999,999.

When a pokemon is worth more than the in game cap. I'm not sure how many times it happened, but I know for sure that deals have been done that included 2 billion worth of PDs, 1 from in game, 1 from savings, as well as billions worth of pokemon. The overall value of some of the most expensive trades ever has definitely been several billion worth.

Comparing that to today, we're lucky to get deals worth 100s of millions. A lot of people are content with their collections and only need shiny versions of new pokemon. Which they hunt for themselves and occasionally get high quality versions without the need to trade with new players.

Boora

Youngster
When a pokemon is worth more than the in game cap. I'm not sure how many times it happened, but I know for sure that deals have been done that included 2 billion worth of PDs, 1 from in game, 1 from savings, as well as billions worth of pokemon. The overall value of some of the most expensive trades ever has definitely been several billion worth.

Comparing that to today, we're lucky to get deals worth 100s of millions. A lot of people are content with their collections and only need shiny versions of new pokemon. Which they hunt for themselves and occasionally get high quality versions without the need to trade with new players.

Not really, i mean sure, we did do a few 1b+ deals over the years, when ts pokes just appeared for example a s drago went for like 1b+ in pokes,
T5 olds are probably close to that now, a few key pokes that some players hold are 1b+, sure
but that's nothing in terms of the actual game, if the economy is dead you can only trade them you can't outright buy them,and the monetary values we put on the pokes are changing depends on supply and demand, if i have a shiny dragonite 20+ it'll go for 1b ish, sure, but when staff decides to do a dratini swarm, it'll drop to 100m at best ,
same goes for my previous example, if they'll add a quest for you that makes you 5m a day, it won't be just for you, it'll be for everyone, the poor and the rich, which means i won't sell my 100m poke for 100m anymore since i know there's going to be demand for it now because it's sellable due to people gettin a fixed amount of money into the game on a daily/weekly basis, i'l just auction it, and considering you'll add money in-game with the quests, but not people, it'll mean my poke retain its rarity and skyrocket in value, while the "money " from the quests halves at the very least from being way too easy to obtain

to put it in the easiest terms possible, take your most expensive poke. the one that's so rare that only handful can afford and you've been trying to auction it for months, suddenly every tom **** and harry are bidding on it, and even offering more than you wanted,
sure, it'll be/feel awesome, but what than, you'll get your 200m, but guess what, a month from now, that same poke you were so happy to sell, is going to be worth double/triple that amount, because of the simple fact that money keeps flowing and the poke stayed at (1)

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
As far as I can see, the only solution is more swarms. New players can't buy good stuff, they can't hunt it because it's too rare, and staff won't make a swarm for that. I do finally have some pokemon that are worth something, and I had to get extremely lucky to be able to get these kinds of things, so I can see wanting to protect values. If there were just a swarm for Larvitar, that would ruin a substantial amount of my accounts value. But, if they had swarms on a regular basis and devalued all pokemon equally, then the pokemon vs pokemon value would remain the same so trades wouldn't be effected as much in that sense.

That only leaves the monetary value vs pokemon. That would shift a great deal, and come to reflect the actual values of the pokemon in todays economy, rather than the overly inflated, nostalgic value that many place on their pokemon and we could see the ugly truth behind the economy. Let it crash. Just because it crashes doesn't mean it won't rebound some day. That is the natural life cycle of economies.

The economy will be trash until we either get more money, more pokemon, or more players (but more players isn't likely without a major update to the story mode to make players stay longer, which I assume *IS* being worked towards, albeit slowly. But in the meantime we would have to pick one of the other choices). Take your pick, but you HAVE to pick one or the other and go with it. Or just let the economy be TRASH.

Boora

Youngster
As far as I can see, the only solution is more swarms. New players can't buy good stuff, they can't hunt it because it's too rare, and staff won't make a swarm for that. I do finally have some pokemon that are worth something, and I had to get extremely lucky to be able to get these kinds of things, so I can see wanting to protect values. If there were just a swarm for Larvitar, that would ruin a substantial amount of my accounts value. But, if they had swarms on a regular basis and devalued all pokemon equally, then the pokemon vs pokemon value would remain the same so trades wouldn't be effected as much in that sense.

That only leaves the monetary value vs pokemon. That would shift a great deal, and come to reflect the actual values of the pokemon in todays economy, rather than the overly inflated, nostalgic value that many place on their pokemon and we could see the ugly truth behind the economy. Let it crash. Just because it crashes doesn't mean it won't rebound some day. That is the natural life cycle of economies.

The economy will be trash until we either get more money, more pokemon, or more players (but more players isn't likely without a major update to the story mode to make players stay longer, which I assume *IS* being worked towards, albeit slowly. But in the meantime we would have to pick one of the other choices). Take your pick, but you HAVE to pick one or the other and go with it. Or just let the economy be TRASH.

Again, nice thinking but (imo) bad idea, swarms are a bandage at best, (don't get me wrong i was the one advacating for more swarms myself)
but it wont help, the way i see it, 3 things needs to happen for this community to be somewhat alive over time

1.people, (obvious, but hey you can't sell to anyone if they're not online...
2.Money source that isn't based souly on luck, for example Tc's idea for npc that you can resell your caught pokes (your OT only) for a fixed price,
This way it'll be worth for people to grind because thier s zubat isn't worthless anymore and can net them some cash,
3.Time.

This way, you give people insentive to hunt, to gather cash, they'll be online more because they have a goal, more rare pokes are going to be caught
and you reduce the element of luck , and at the same time, remove all the hordes of vr's/hr's/(S)commons from the game.

in 2010, you could sell a shiny zubat on amrt, not anymore