has pwo source code been leaked?

theofficialcirax

I have seen a few posts with the DL link and a video on youtube.

Plus on many other places, So I am guessing the source code really has been leaked.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Technically it has been released by the owner and is now Open Source.

king1234

Youngster
HitmonFonty said:

If the source code is open source does that mean shane still declines usage of his client?

Alexander

king1234 said:
HitmonFonty said:

If the source code is open source does that mean shane still declines usage of his client?

Yes, there's a difference between allowing people to read and download the source and allowing people to distribute it (compiled or not). It has always been possible to download the client externally. (Google is your friend)

Honestly, I wouldn't be sad about this. Maybe some people will write some additions to it. If the game is coded properly this shouldn't be much of a security risk, and what kind of programmer feels like writing a server backend for this kind of source code? I've taken a bit of a look and it looks like a downright mess to me. Just eww.

Edit: Also, downright professional, that read me file. Very mature. Such businessman. So wow. How does he expect anyone to come play his game when he can't act like an adult in written words? *shrug*

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
king1234 said:
HitmonFonty said:

As far as I know there are no restrictions on its use anymore.

Sylpharionz

Hmm interesting, does this mean that anyone is free to improve the client then?

KeyboardWarrior

" it looks like a downright mess to me. Just eww."

You would be correct, its a mix of be writing it when i was 16 and had no much idea about anything, and 10000 poor coding practices.
And built ontop of PWO before hand.

Alexander

KeyboardWarrior said:
" it looks like a downright mess to me. Just eww."

You would be correct, its a mix of be writing it when i was 16 and had no much idea about anything, and 10000 poor coding practices.
And built ontop of PWO before hand.

Interesting. Not many programmers start with Visual Basic, must have been a real relieve to switch away from that!

Alexander

AndyMister said:
king1234 said:
theofficialcirax said:
So what does this mean for pwo?

PWO might get better or worse or stay the same...

Worsen = End.

Improve = I do not know.

Stay the same = End

That's very negative I have to say, if there's anything i've learned over time, it is that people usually start burrying the game about 5 years before it needs burrying. Can't say wether that applies to this game, I've taken a long break after getting my dream team and all the badges and am mostly chilling around for the new client now, but considering that people still care enough to come to the forums and say it needs to improve, tells me there's hope. :)

As for the source code, I honestly think it won't change a thing. There's quite a few things that could be improved on the client side, but I can't imagine anyone would voluntarily work with the codebase. It's not fun, it's not rewarding.. It is sad, because if it'd be a more structured language or better coding, I think many people (myself included) would happily adjust a few things to make everyday life a little bit better. Lots of small improvements can be made to the client.

And really, hackers shouldn't be able to do a thing with it, it makes the job a tad easier for botters but even those are still very much catchable.

Maybe a good samaritan out there will fix some stuff, or perhaps there will be a bit more advanced botting. Travelbots (bots that automatically walk you to a desired position) and such.

Sanven

wth, so this game was running on Visual Basic..!!!!!!!!! Ancient Programming Language..!!! while this game i think was built in around 2009 or 2008 i think..!!!

When C, C++, Java, big OOP languages are there..!!!!
No wonder why there was so bad image resolution, bad quality of tiles, so many bugs, n easy building of bots..!!!!

I think the current developers should now build a total new client on C++, with more security..!!! It'll solve every problem of source code being released.!!
Change server side code..!!! Secure it..!!

CoolKnightST

Sanven said:
wth, so this game was running on Visual Basic..!!!!!!!!! Ancient Programming Language..!!! while this game i think was built in around 2009 or 2008 i think..!!!

When C, C++, Java, big OOP languages are there..!!!!
No wonder why there was so bad image resolution, bad quality of tiles, so many bugs, n easy building of bots..!!!!

I think the current developers should now build a total new client on C++, with more security..!!! It'll solve every problem of source code being released.!!
Change server side code..!!! Secure it..!!
Everyone knewn that this game was coded in Visual Basic. I believe their was a discussion to change it to C++ but add the final moment they changed their mind. Visual Basic is one of the most simple from all exisiting languages.

I think it would be a good thing to change this game into open source. The progress of this game was always been slow. Maybe even so slow any other pokemon MMO could catch up on them with a simple press on a button.

If they want to change the language this time I would suggest to go with your time & start by coding this game into HTML5 and using "node.js" for the serverside actions. Just read out this concept.

You will just find a lot more people that are coding in JavaScript. Trust me guys, think about this. Whe could finish this game in about a year with mobile support included. Whe don't even need a client anymore. Custom style would become even more simple & this game will run faster than ever before.