Grass Type Pokemon

WhiteShark98

Hellow ppl;
i'm writting this new topic because I think the battle's systems needs to incorporate Grass type pokes like Meganium, Vileplum, Venasaur, Sunflora, Tangrowth, Bellossom or Roselia. (Sceptile is the only one that is use by some trainers because it can use Outrage and hit first because of its SPD)
But, many trainers doesn't use them because Mega Drain and Giga Drain doesn't work. And for me, those moves are essential.
I mean, why if dream eater can heal pokes, Giga Drain can't? Witch is the difference?
I've seen Jolteons beating Venasaurs just using Thunder/Thunderbolt, when we all know that this must not happend. I mean Jolteon is a good pokemon, bur against a Grass type, it must have no chance.
Nowadays trainer base their battles on using Dragon Dance and fast pokemons that can use thunder wave, and that makes everything a little boring.
I want a change, i need it, and i think that i'm not the only one here that thinks like this.
(sorry about my english, it not my first language)

Please write your opinion :)

WhiteShark98

darkshadow.

My venusaur never died vs jolteon. And grass type have too many weaknesses to be a strong type in battle. It was always like this, it's hard to try to insert grass types in a competitive team.

I.Am

darkshadow. said:
it's hard to try to insert grass types in a competitive team.

I love to use Ludicolo in my team. Anti-Booster (Tickle) and ice/grass stab/water moves. I use it as Swampert, Dragonite, Salamence or Water pokes killer. Depends on situation. Even its not pure grass type poke. :v

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
Take into account how many types (and while at it, which ones) grass is weak to. Defensively, grass is a terrible type to have so it should be no surprise that grass types are rarely used (even in competitive battling, by gen 6 standards, only a few grass types are viable on higher tiers - most of them being either legendary or able to mega evolve).
Now out of the pokemon you listed, only 3 of them would be competitively relevant (though they'd all need things that aren't currently available).

Meganium - Probably the only pokemon from that 'list' to benefit greatly from giga drain. Other than that, it would need working aromatherapy (which is useless as long as switching isn't accepted by the playerbase). Working reflect and light screen could also be considered given meganium's more defensive roles but considering how bad grass is defensively, I don't find those moves to match meganium well.

Venusaur - Having poison as a secondary type does more harm than good tbh (as long as fairies don't exist in pwo anyway), With that aside, its popularity in gens 5 and 6 came from different reasons: gen 5 because of clorophyll (on a time when weather wars were a pretty common sight) and on gen 6 because of its ability to mega evolve. For it to be somewhat usable, pwo would need to have working hidden power (hp fire so that scizor can't max out its attack) and the tm for energy ball would need to be made available.

Tangrowth - This one is slightly tougher to go over but personally, I think the main thing it lacks is Regenerator for an ability (then again, it would be pointless to have it given pwo's 'no-switch' mentality). Other than that, it'd also be a pokemon that would benefit from having hidden power fully working. Working giga drain and/or seed bomb being made available as a tutor would allow stab alternatives to power whip or leaf storm (seed bomb being a more reliable choice for physical stab and giga drain having no drawbacks other than lower power in comparison to leaf storm - though if giga drain can't be made to work properly currently, energy ball would have to be considered as a temporary option until such a fix is in place).

And these are my two cents on the matter

WhiteShark98

Yeah, Grass type are not strong as other type pokemos, that's something we all know, and for worst, there are some moves that doesn't work like Giga dragin and aromatherapy.
Nowadays you can easily find pokemos like Tyranitar, Nidoking, Aerodactyl, Gyarados, Jolteon in battles, and there a grass type could be a good option with the correct move set, I mean, for example a Tangrowth with:
- Power Whip/
- Ancient Power/
- Giga Drain (in bulbapedia says tangrowth can learn it by lvling up, i don't know why in pwo wiki doesn't appear)
- Stun spore/ Sleep Power

or

- Giga Drain
- Growth
- Ancient Power
- Stun spore/ sleep Power

This move set, could easy kill those pokes, and even if u're lukcy and Ancient power increase all the stats, Tangrowth would be hard to beat.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
Correct me if I'm wrong but tangrowth has a base speed of 50, which means it'll be taking a hit more often than not (keep in mind that given the current no-switch mentality i mentioned earlier, swtiching to a favorable matchup is frowned upon - which could change if there were hazards but i digress). Now let's ignore the fact that pwo's rng system is a complete mess, to word it nicely. A move such as ancientpower (with only a 10% chance to increase every stat by one stage) would be a bit of a risk (not to mention tangrowth can learn a better rock type move in rock slide if i am not mistaken). Growth isn't worth it because tangrowth's speed means it will never ever be a sweeper unless if it is part of trick room teams (though that would require trick room being fixed). Sleep powder is a move that works on tangrowth, however given the current limitations it has movesetwise (lack of hidden power plays a huge role on that), it'd be nothing more than stalling for time imo. On a final note, I'd advise against keeping 2 stab moves on tangrowth, grass is too situational of a type to be used and you're losing on precious coverage (which becomes even more important when considering the weaknesses of grass type in general) by wasting a slot with a second grass move... considering the moveset options tangrowth has available atm, I'd consider earthquake.

As for it being able to learn giga drain naturally, that only is true starting from b2w2 and while movesets in pwo are based on gen 5, they only go up to b/w and i can't answer you as to why movesets haven't been upgraded to b2w2 standards (because i doubt we're seeing gen 6 based movesets anytime soon) because i don't know what's preventing that from happening. You can teach giga drain as an egg move though, which is the only way for tangrowth to get it for the time being

WhiteShark98

Yes, you point of view is correct, having a grass type pokemon in the team could be risky.
When i was writting the other message, i thought about the SPD of tangrowth, and yes, probably he'll hit second, but it can recover some hp by Mega draing, but with a bse power of 40, i don't think it could work as I think; Only with giga drain could work.
If its for SPD, Sceptile is the best option, with 120 SPD, and using Dragon Claw - Leaf Storm - Rock Slide - Acrobatics.
Another option, would be using a pokemon like Alakazam, so then u can use Grass knot.
-Calm mind
-Recover
-Grass Knot
-Psychic

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
That is a different subject altogether (there are slow pokemon that have some viability on the current meta). You were talking about how little amount of viable grass types there currently is so I just gave my two cents based on battle strategy about which grass types could 'make the cut' if they were given some toys to work with.