gah! tauros, really?

risefromruins

Youngster
Tauros's most important stat is speed.  Then defense, then attack.  While it does suck your tauros has bad attack, it's still very strong and can probably still 2 hit most dragonites.

Crocs2001

risefromruins said:
Tauros's most important stat is speed.  Then defense, then attack.  While it does suck your tauros has bad attack, it's still very strong and can probably still 2 hit most dragonites.

really spd? actually it only needs 12 IV spd to outspeed a max spd charizard, slaking and salamance. well maybe u need uber spd to outspeed a bad spd kazam/starmie, but come on, u don't expect tauros to be a counter to that many pokemons right? lol

risefromruins

Youngster
Most people will send out their own tauros to counter a weakened tauros.  Tauros loses to slaking as it is so speed is mainly for tauros v.s tauros, which in my experience happens a lot.

Crocs2001

risefromruins said:
Most people will send out their own tauros to counter a weakened tauros.  Tauros loses to slaking as it is so speed is mainly for tauros v.s tauros, which in my experience happens a lot.

sending the same poke to counter is just a way saying "my poke is better" or "im richer so i can afford better poke" or "im luckier so i can catch a better one" or "i play PWO longer so it gives me more time to find better poke".. it has very little to do with strategies.. brawn over brain all the way lmao.. but meh, i did it with my max spd gengar killing all those shiny gengars back in the days when s gengars is so popular few months ago so nothing is wrong with that.. :p

there are many many pokemon faster than tauros that can be used to kill a weakened one. tauros become a new idol not because its ability to "counter" certain pokes but because of its ability to deal great dmg to pokes other then rock/steel/ghost type.
so IMO, dont think too much abt its speed since the only advantage of an uber/max spd one is to counter another tauros when u can kill many other pokes with an average spd.

risefromruins

Youngster
The only pokemon I can think of that have almost a 100% of beating tauros speed wise that someone would use in battle would be Jolteon or Aerodactyl.  Starmie and Gengar also have a good chance but it isn't 100%.  All in all, those pokemon aren't carried just to counter tauros, maybe gengar, but the others have different purposes in battle.  Which still leads me to believe that speed takes precedent over attack.

If nothing else, defense is without question more important than attack, that's the ruling factor on whether a weakened tauros can survive a strong hit from another poke.

ash.catchem

Youngster
Hey rise, i think dusclops would be much better as gengar is part poison too and tauros has Zen Headbutt..
Dusclops would easily defeat it taking very less damage as it has high def and spdef, while this tauros has bad atk..

risefromruins

Youngster
Zen headbutt is a horrible move for tauros because his special attack is so low. Pursuit is much better because it is physical.

And It's possible that dusclops could take out a tauros even if he used pursuit, but I think about 3 pursuits would kill a dusclops and I'm not sure if a dusclops can 2 hit a tauros or not.

Saric

Youngster
risefromruins said:
Zen headbutt is a horrible move for tauros because his special attack is so low. Pursuit is much better because it is physical.

And It's possible that dusclops could take out a tauros even if he used pursuit, but I think about 3 pursuits would kill a dusclops and I'm not sure if a dusclops can 2 hit a tauros or not.
Actually payback is the better move. Pursuit is only 40 base while payback is 50 for the moment. Albeit it's only 10 base higher, but every bit counts..

xNovoxx

Attack is probably the least important stat on tauros, ignoring SP ATK. Simply because there is no situation where 30 damage would've made all the difference. Giga Impact does so much damage that even if you do 30 damage less than you would with max attack, you still 2 shot everything that you're not 0.5x to, apart from the slakings etc. So the extra attack is irrelevant, especially if you setup your calculations based on the worst possible outcome, people having max stats in majority of areas, which is what you should be doing if you want to beat any of the best battlers.

S

Shadowmeire

Just curious, but wouldn't Tyranitar be a fair Tauros counter? i haven't used a Tauros since Red/Blue/Yellow, but it dosn't have any fighting Type moves that i can really remember does it? and with Dark/Rock Typeing Tyranitar does have the advantage over both Giga Impact, Pursuit, Zen Headbutt, and Payback.... just saying. and with Earthquake Crunch and Rock Slide a T-Tar could easily 2 hit if not 1 hit a tauros....

risefromruins

Youngster
Yeah tyra is a good counter, along with any rock type (Golem, Rhydon, etc).  Tauros just can't touch anything with high defense.

HeavyPetter

How important would you say special defence is on a tauros as compared to regular defence. Is a tauros with high special defence able to withstand two hits from a good special attacker like starmie with hydro pump?