Explosion battle bug

Siauwlong

I was doing some battle with other players, and this guy named shuntandromed battled me, when it comes down to last poke, my jolt and his s electrode, he did explosion with his electrode and my jolt died too, the funny thing is i'm the one who lose in battle , not him. I think this is some kind of battle bug? because i think the one who use explosion move will died first , am I correct? ???

any explanation about this?

Orean

Website
twitter.com
From what I remember about moves in that bracket: In a sequential tandem, the move [explosion] inflicts damage firstly, then the user faints (as shown in the event-by-event summary in the battle log). If the damage toll was potent enough to knock-out your Pokemon, wherebefore the move's secondary effect (fainting the user) took into effect, then I would theorize that the final-Pokemon knock-out, on your end, was the activating event for logging it as a win on your opponent's end—despite his Pokemon fainting on the same turn as well.

In short, it appears as if the battle system logs a loss based on whose final Pokemon faints first, despite the turn-concurrent fainting of the other Pokemon as well—if that explains my theory clearly.

psychosamm

Youngster
To summarize what Creobis said, there are no ties in PWO, so whoever dies first is the looser, essentially. Though i can understand your frustration on this. I would be kind of annoyed too. xD

Siauwlong

yeah that's the problem sam, i mean, it's like desperate move, and losing like that is just ridiculous :p

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
A genuine question though. Who's to say which pokemon faints first in a suicide move? Yes the pokemon inflicting the damage faints, but does that necessarily happen before the damage is done? It's not like they really explode after all, so they may actually hold on to see the result of their attack. :)

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Who's to say which pokemon faints first in a suicide move?
In the handhelds, when it comes down to those situations, the exploder loses automatically.

EDIT: Or at least, that's how it used to be.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
lol I know how it works in the handhelds. :p Just putting it out there that maybe this way makes just as much sense. And maybe there is another solution here to be found, rather than changing the whole battle system timing of events, which it seems likely would have to happen for the exploder to faint first. Why not accept that the exploder faints last and on that assumption ask whether the suicide moves are too strong working that way?

Orean

Website
twitter.com
While I can't check on the back end if that is indeed the case, I have found the OP's scenario probative for my theory for the systematic sequence: the user inflicting damage, and fainting the opponent, therebefore the secondary effect (fainting) takes into effect.

Of course, we are not adoptively confined for all of these little details. However, it should be noted those attacks were meant to have costly repercussions, as a counterbalance to their top-line base powers; under the current event-by-event sequence, explosion/self-destruct users could turn this to their advantage, in a decisive final turn.

and on that assumption ask whether the suicide moves are too strong working that way?

While this doesn't seem to be intended to begin with, if this flaw in the battle system is actually employed as a final-turn strategy, it is possible to restrategize and counter it. However, it should be noted that Electrode does have the second-highest stats for its base speed (outranked only by Ninjask, I believe, for all obtainable Pokemon). I'm off-tune with the pvp scene, though most Pokemon these moves are acquirable to have subaverage stats for their base speed, thus it's possible that it could become the ace up the sleeve, if it ever boils down to a final turn between 2 Pokemon—whereof Electrode could outmatch most, due to its speed and the potency of the move.

However, I am off-tune with the pvp scene, so it likely is better left to the players to answer that; just giving some food for thought.